This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

Would you please name one country in the world today that is ruled by a Islamic "Shariah" law where women are permitted to vote?
    Nigeria.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=96.msg28321#msg28321 date=1294875486]
      Nigeria.
      [/quote]

Not all of Nigeria is ruled by Sharia, though, if I'm not mistaken. I might be wrong, but I believe that only certain provinces actually use it.

Comment

[quote author=frankophonic link=topic=96.msg28347#msg28347 date=1294888878]
        Not all of Nigeria is ruled by Sharia, though, if I'm not mistaken. I might be wrong, but I believe that only certain provinces actually use it.
        [/quote]
        I realize this (I did research this first before posting. But since you yourself wrote down Nigeria-Sharai Law, I guess I thought it would be good point to use your very own example, no? )
        As fact goes, Nigeria uses Sharai law only in the Muslim regions of its country. These states are Kano, Katsina, Niger, Bauchi, Borno, Kaduna, Gombe, Sokoto, Jigawa, Yobe, and Kebbi

I went with the first state of Kano. I found that women first started voting there (in this Sharai Law state) in the year 1979.

This would be one. So...Nigeria is still my answer. Since in Nigeria where there is Sharai Law, women are able to vote. I hope that satisfies your answer. I still like Dumuzi's answer better than mine though. He's really proving the point your one country answer was really aiming for.

Comment

Medusa,

Firstly maybe more than country is required , but more importantly to me anyway is that sharia law was not introduced until June 2000, Women in my understanding have no local vote in the areas where the law in use, Nationally at the moment there is a 50/50 balance on Muslims in Nigeria, but that is due to tip in the favour of Islam in a few years.

Modi
          Gunnarr Sandisson
          "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
          Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

[quote author=Modi link=topic=96.msg28482#msg28482 date=1294951652]
            Medusa,

Firstly maybe more than country is required , but more importantly to me anyway is that sharia law was not introduced until June 2000, Women in my understanding have no local vote in the areas where the law in use, Nationally at the moment there is a 50/50 balance on Muslims in Nigeria, but that is due to tip in the favour of Islam in a few years.

Modi
            [/quote]
            You did ask what country with Sharai Law let's women vote. I gave one. You wanna wish and wash your requirements again? I could go through the entire list...but hey, why don't I just let you do that. You asked. You got your answer.

Comment

I obviously have not posted well, Nigeria gave women the vote in 1979, It no longer has that vote except in non Islamic regions of Nigeria, the area you mentioned in your post did not adopt Sharia law until after that date in June 2000, they have taken away the women's right to vote, locally.

Modi
              Gunnarr Sandisson
              "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
              Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

[quote author=Modi link=topic=96.msg28565#msg28565 date=1294963453]
                I obviously have not posted well, Nigeria gave women the vote in 1979, It no longer has that vote except in non Islamic regions of Nigeria, the area you mentioned in your post did not adopt Sharia law until after that date in June 2000, they have taken away the women's right to vote, locally.

Modi
                [/quote]
                Well you are indeed right. I did my own investigation (between my being evil time) And I found two facts. There seems to be a problem. There is no one country that is strictly Sharia Law. All the other countries have a mix of Sharia Law and something else. Also when trying to determine what countries have even some form of Sharia I was surprised with the answer.
                * Iran
                Pakistan
                Saudi Arabia
                Nigeria
                Sudan
                Iraq (prior to 2003)
                Egypt
                Bahrain
                Azerbaijan

and then.....
                France
                Britain
                Sweeden
                Belgium
                Canada

It seems by that lists women can vote in countries where Sharia Law is practiced in one form or another. What we need is a country where it is only Sharia Law. And when I start investigating I find I still can't find one.
                So. Maybe we can do this. You tell me which countries are STRICTLY Sharia Law and I will then investigate to see if women are allowed to vote. But first you must supply the countries YOU agree are Sharia Law ONLY. How's that?

Now this is more of a matter of curiosity.

Comment

Gunnarr Sandisson
                  Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=96.msg28309#msg28309 date=1294868439]
                    Dumuzi, I have a question.....I notice that you and other Muslims I've heard speak, or read things they've written, always say "Peace be upon him/her" after a reference to some holy figure. Is this a requirement or a custom?
                    [/quote]

We are told by the Qur'an and the sayings of Muhammad, peace be upon him, to do so. There is great reward in it, and it's also a sign of respect and honor

Actually what I type (if i type it at all) is the shorter version of what I actually say. The longer version translates roughly as, "May the blessings and peace of Allah be upon him."

So every time we ask god to send his blessings on Muhammad, god also rewards us by giving us rewards and forgiving us our sins.

Indeed, Allah confers blessing upon the Prophet, and His angels [ask Him to do so]. O you who have believed, ask [Allah to confer] blessing upon him and ask [Allah to grant him] peace. [33:56]
                    [hr]

[quote author=Modi link=topic=96.msg28312#msg28312 date=1294869125]
                    Dumuzi,

Your answer is not answering the question, I appreciate the time and effort you put in on your posts so i will give you some country's where Islamic and sharia law are in function, these may not be the most populated of country's but where the systems named are in place,

Afghanistan Islamic law
                    Iran Islamic law
                    Libya Islamic law
                    Nigeria Sharia
                    Oman Sharia and tribal custom laws
                    Saudi Arabia Islamic law
                    Sudan Based on Islamic law
                    Yemen Islamic law

Hope this helps in finding the answer to my question.

Modi

[/quote]

Hi Modi

If you read my reply, I already answered your question. I said that all countries permit women to vote (that is if they have elections in the first place) except two countries.

So from that list you gave me, ALL of them permit women to vote except Saudi Arabia, who only had one elections in 2005 anyways.

Furthermore, I have already mentioned to you that women at the time of Muhammad, peace be upon him, had the right to voice their opinion and participate in politics as mentioned in the Qur'an and in the Sunnah. It doesn't get more sharia/Islamic law than the messenger of Allah himself :

I would also like to point out that non of those countries have a pure form of Sharia law. For example, in Egypt's constitution it is written that Islam is the source of our law, yet when you actually go through the laws and rules we have, you'll find out they have other sources.

In terms of women, lots of their rights were taken away, that normally are given to them by Islam. An example for that would be a woman's right to get a divorce in accordance to her own will. This right was granted to her by Islam, and yet not so long ago women in Egypt had to either go to court for many months (and sometimes years) or have the permission of the husband in order to get a divorce. This is something that is unislamic.

I hope that this time I was able to answer your question more clearly.
                    [4:82]

Comment

im sorry, i dont have a question but i just really wanted to thankyou for all of this information, it is definatly one of the best threads i have ever read on a pagan forum!
                      thankyou Dumuzi!

Comment

It seems Dumuzi that there is no country for us to test this question against, I should have checked that before posing the question. I could reword the question, but that is not fair, I will however post this link, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3734420.stm.

Medusa,

As i explained to Dumuzi, it seems I posed a question that was unfair and not really researched as it should have been, in my defence though it was a response to an answer given in the thread to a previous question :-\ :

Modi
                        Gunnarr Sandisson
                        Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

[quote author=Modi link=topic=96.msg29198#msg29198 date=1295218322]
                          It seems Dumuzi that there is no country for us to test this question against, I should have checked that before posing the question. I could reword the question, but that is not fair, I will however post this link, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3734420.stm.

Medusa,

As i explained to Dumuzi, it seems I posed a question that was unfair and not really researched as it should have been, in my defence though it was a response to an answer given in the thread to a previous question :-\ :

Modi
                          [/quote]
                          No problems. It did enlighten me in some things. The mere fact Sharia Law is used in some form in non Muslim countries was quite unexpected.

Comment

[quote author=magpie link=topic=96.msg28867#msg28867 date=1295073124]
                            im sorry, i dont have a question but i just really wanted to thankyou for all of this information, it is definatly one of the best threads i have ever read on a pagan forum!
                            thankyou Dumuzi!
                            [/quote]

Aww thanks!

I'm glad it was useful for you. Someone (who will not be named) thinks I can't answer direct questions. :P

[quote author=Modi link=topic=96.msg29198#msg29198 date=1295218322]
                            [/quote]

That's what I have been saying again and again.

However, I did give you an example of a time when Sharia law was being used. And in that time women had the right to voice their opinion nad participate in politics, and to also choose their leader. This is documented in the Qur'an itself.

If you have any question, don't be afraid to ask.

Comment

Hey D ... I have a quandry ...

114:6 ... Jinn?
                              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=96.msg30774#msg30774 date=1296072288]
                                Hey D ... I have a quandry ...

114:6 ... Jinn?
                                [/quote]
                                I'm sorry but where is the question?
                                ???

Comment

Working...
                                X