X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg17997#msg17997 date=1290937157]
    Please, don't!

I do understand where you are coming from. But at the same time I believe having discussions with other can be very helpful, to BOTH sides. So I really enjoy having those discussions, but you can already tell from my long posts. So perhaps I enjoy them too much :P[/quote]

I'm glad you feel that way. Some of the conversations we've had are right up by the top of my list if I were to start talking about all the things that I have learned in my time spent on this forum. And you KNOW I'm equally long-winded in the Mormon thread...so don't even go there!

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg17997#msg17997 date=1290937157]
    Yeah, that's the part where I think our point of views meet and disagree at the same time!

Like I totally understand how growing up thinking of god as a male or as a father would make you want to find the other half of the divine so to speak.

On the other hand from my point of view, ascribing a gender to god is something that we just don't do. Because god is way beyond and above that. It kinda falls under the category of being self-sufficient. Cause if god has a gender then they will need an opposite gender to compliment them and complete them. In that sense it wouldn't be god anymore, who doesn't need anyone.

For example, if someone tells me god is male, I start to think about what they are actually saying. Does that mean god has a beard and a prostate gland? So to me it just seems like humans trying to use their own brush to paint god, who's way beyond their limited understanding.

[/quote]

That raises an interesting question for me, then...what does the Qu'ran say about the nature of God?

In Genesis, it says that yes, man is created in the image of God(Genesis 1:27: So God created man in his own image, male and female created he them). Does the Qu'ran say something different about the creation of mankind?

As you know, Mormons believe that we were created in the image of God, because we are destined to be like him(or them, if you believe in Heavenly Parents...again, gender coming into play). If that is not the case, then why did God create mankind? Why did he give us a greater intelligence and ability then the animals? What was the purpose of that?

If God is genderless, why refer to him as "he?".

Ok...so a lot of questions
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=96.msg18087#msg18087 date=1290971374]

Sorry for interrupting, but this brings up a question for me...I hope this doesn't come out as disrespectful, but I'm finding it hard to word my question/s just right...lol.

1. What exactly would be 'the right cause' for an action of war?
      2. Do you think that this ideology/belief is conducive to an environment where people actually search for an opportunity [read: right cause] to war?
      [/quote]

cesara, there is nothing disrespectful about your question. Actually, it's something I wanted to expand on earlier, but I didn't want to derail my answer because the subject seemed a bit off-topic.

So thank you for your question! (and for putting an effort into wording it in a nice way)

The right cause to fight in Islam is to fight in the way of god. I will show you what that means from the Qur'an. As in I will show you the verses that talk about fighting and why Muslims on one hand were permitted to fight (after 13 years of persecution) and on the other hand why they were encouraged to fight. And then I will give you an example of a Muslim soldier in the battlefield.

Generally speaking, there are two reasons to fight.

1. Fighting in self defense
      2. Fighting against injustice or religious persecution and oppression.

Before I begin, I'd like to point out that even if there are reasons to fight, there are still rules we as Muslims have to obey during fighting. I will not mention them in this post, but if you would like I will talk about it in another post.

The verse, giving permission to Muslims to fight:

Permission [to fight] has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory.

[They are] those who have been evicted from their homes without right - only because they say, "Our Lord is Allah." And were it not that Allah checks the people, some by means of others, there would have been demolished monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques in which the name of Allah is much mentioned. And Allah will surely support those who support Him. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might.
      [22:39-40]

As you can see, the permission was given to those who were being fought and kicked out of their homes for their religion.

I'd also like you to notice that verse mentioned monasteries, churches and synagogues BEFORE it mentioned mosques. That is, it's not just talking about Muslims being persecuted but people of other religions, too.

Another verse specifically explains why Muslims need to fight:

So let those fight in the cause of Allah who sell the life of this world for the Hereafter. And he who fights in the cause of Allah and is killed or achieves victory - We will bestow upon him a great reward.

And what is [the matter] with you that you fight not in the cause of Allah and [for] the oppressed among men, women, and children who say, "Our Lord, take us out of this city of oppressive people and appoint for us from Yourself a protector and appoint for us from Yourself a helper?"

Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah, and those who disbelieve fight in the cause of Taghut (Evil). So fight against the allies of Satan. Indeed, the plot of Satan has ever been weak.
      [4:74-76]

Here, the verse talks about oppressed men, women and children. And that is why a Muslim should fight.

There are a number of other verses that explain how Muslims can fight in self defense, here is one of them:

Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not, aggressors. [2:190]

This is the first verse that talks about fighting in the Qur'an by the way.

Another thing that should be mentioned is that in a lot of places in the Qur'an it is explained how if the aggression against Muslims stops and they want peace, then Muslims should seek peace as well. This indicated that the fighting was only for the purpose of self defense. Here's one example:

And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allah. Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing.
      [8:61]

In the end I want to give you an example of what one Muslim soldier did on the battlefield. He's name is Ali ibn Abu Talib, he's Muhammad's cousin and would become later the 4th leader of Muslims.

On the battlefield he overpowered an enemy and was about to strike him with his sword. And then his enemy spat on his face, just when he was about to strike him. And then Ali just turned around and left him.

The man asked him why he didn't use this chance to kill him, and he explained that in the beginning he was going to kill him in the way of Allah, but after he spat on his face he was filled with anger and then if he had killed him, it would have been for being angry and for personal reasons.

2. Do you think that this ideology/belief is conducive to an environment where people actually search for an opportunity [read: right cause] to war?
      I really believe if someone wants to start a war against someone else, they are going to be able to make all kinds of excuses no matter what. I'm pretty sure they could even invent a lie against another country, like having nuclear weapons for example, just to be able to make a war against them (See what I did there?)

But the important thing about Islam that has to be understood, is that it's a complete and realistic way of life. It teaches you how to be kind, just and merciful to others, and how to avoid war as much as possible. But there are situations where war is inevitable, so god has to explain to use what are the justifications for us to pick up weapons against other human beings. And there has to be rules on how to behave during peace and how to behave during war. Because both can happen in your life.
      [4:82]

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=96.msg18112#msg18112 date=1290976591]
        That raises an interesting question for me, then...what does the Qu'ran say about the nature of God?
        [/quote]

There is a very short Surah in the Qur'an (4 verses only) that sums up the nature of God. Here it is:

[youtube]Vp-6ofzUuVI[/youtube]

I don't want to really go into the nature of God in terms of being one, unique, creator of everything and so on because I believe you already understand that. But here's one example, anyways:

He is Allah, besides whom there is no god, the Knower of the unseen and the seen. He is All-Merciful, Very-Merciful.

He is Allah, besides whom there is no god, the Sovereign, the Supreme-In-Holiness, the Safe (from all defects), the Giver-Of-Peace, the Guardian, the All-Mighty, the All-Repairer, the Sublime. Glorified be Allah from whatever they associate with Him.

He is Allah, the Creator, the Inventor, the Shaper. His are the Most Beautiful Names. Whatever is in the heavens and earth is exalting Him. And He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise. [59:22-24]
        What I'd really like to point out, however, is that the one thing that is emphasized a lot in so many places, is the Mercy of God.

Did you know that with the exception of one chapter all chapters begin with "In the name of Allah the Most Merciful, the Ever Merciful?"

Actually, this is such an important attribute, that despairing of the mercy of god is an act of disbelieve.

Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah. for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Most-Forgiving, Most Merciful. [39:53]
        And this is the thing that is repeated over and over again in the Qur'an. Even if a punishment in hell is described, we are also reminded that the mercy of god encompasses everything and that everyone who sincerely asks for it shall receive it, god willing.

When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way. [2:186]
        I'm just gonna show you a few examples of how the mercy of god is mentioned:

"Your Lord has decreed upon Himself mercy"
        "My mercy encompasses all things"
        "Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, the Most Merciful, the Ever Merciful"
        "And your god is one God: There is no god but He, the All-Merciful, the Very-Merciful."
        "and He is the most merciful of the merciful."

In Genesis, it says that yes, man is created in the image of God(Genesis 1:27: So God created man in his own image, male and female created he them). Does the Qu'ran say something different about the creation of mankind?
        [/quote]

Yeah. The idea of human beings being created in the image of god is again something that we don't believe in. The idea behind creation of man kind in the Qur'an is a bit similar to that in the Bible, but you'll notice it is fundamentally different.

I want to make this as short as possible so I'll just point out the differences fast (I will give you a link to a video though that I think is REALLY interesting, in case you want to learn more). First, humans aren't on earth as a punishment. There is no such thing as an original sin. God forgives Adam right away, because as he explains, he is the most Forgiving one and the ever Merciful one. Eve is not blamed for causing that first sin. Both are blamed in most cases, while in some verses, ONLY Adam is addressed. But anyways, like I said before, he was forgiven. According to the Qur'an, god gives knowledge to Adam in order to show the angels he has great potential, rather than warn Adam not eat from the tree of knowledge.

As you know, Mormons believe that we were created in the image of God, because we are destined to be like him(or them, if you believe in Heavenly Parents...again, gender coming into play). If that is not the case, then why did God create mankind? Why did he give us a greater intelligence and ability then the animals? What was the purpose of that?
        [/quote]

The angels asked god about that in the Qur'an:

And, when your Lord said to the angels, "Indeed, I will make upon the earth a successive authority." They said, "Will You place upon it one who causes corruption therein and sheds blood, while we declare Your praise and sanctify You?" Allah said, "Indeed, I know that which you do not know." [2:30]
        You later learn how through the potential to gain knowledge, and the ability to do good, humans have the potential to be better than those angels themselves. At the same time, humans who do not use their understanding and do not follow the guidance of god and cause evil and harm, will be worse than even animals.

But like I said earlier, there's a lecture by a Muslim called Dr. Jeffrey Lang (Off-topic, he's actually a professor of Caelia at her school, what are the odds!) and he talks about that topic from a really personal point of view. If you have the time to watch it, please do! It's broken into small parts so you can watch them at different times if you want.

Click me for the link!

If God is genderless, why refer to him as "he?".

Ok...so a lot of questions
        [/quote]

That one I can answer! And yes, a lot of questions, but I tried to keep things short, so if there's a part of my answer you want me to talk more about, let me know.

Now why refer to god as "he" if we don't ascribe a gender to him?

That's easy to answer if you understand the Arabic language and Arabic grammar. (Arabic lesson time!)

In Arabic there is no neutral form, there are only so called female forms and male forms. And here is the general rule about those forms: "If someone is specifically female, we use the female form. For everything else we use the male form."

My Arabic teacher used to jokingly say about that, that the Arabic language has favored women because it gave them their own form.

If this is confusing, let me give you an example.

There are two words for "They" in Arabic. A female "they" (hunna) and a male "they" (hum). Now here are the four possibilities of how they are used:

1. A group of females. Here the female "they" (hunna) is used to refer to them.

2. A group of males. Here the male "they" (hum) is used to refer to them.

3. A group of both males and females. Again, the male "they" (hum) is used.

4. A group of people whose gender is not known. Again, the male "they" (hum) is used.

So that's why we the word "He" is used to refer to god, because he isn't specifically female, so we use the word that's used for everything else.

Make sense?

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg18154#msg18154 date=1290994029]

And this is the thing that is repeated over and over again in the Qur'an. Even if a punishment in hell is described, we are also reminded that the mercy of god encompasses everything and that everyone who sincerely asks for it shall receive it, god willing.

[/quote]

Does this apply to those already dead? Can a fallen soul petition for forgiveness after spending time in Hell (if the premise of Hell applies the same in Islam as Christianity) for their failures on Earth?
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

What, if any is the rule on tattoos?
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=MaskedOne link=topic=96.msg18196#msg18196 date=1291007261]
              Does this apply to those already dead?
              [/quote]

When you are dead your time is up. There is nothing you can 'add' in terms of good deeds, except in three conditions.

Can a fallen soul petition for forgiveness after spending time in Hell (if the premise of Hell applies the same in Islam as Christianity) for their failures on Earth?
              The short answer is I don't know.

But the general idea is that when you enter hell then it's already too late. In that case, it's up to god's will what will happen to some of those people.

At the same time God is the most forgiving one, so if someone sincerely turns back to god then he will forgive them, god willing.

According to a Hadith Qudsi Muhammad said, Allah the Almighty said:

O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great at it.
              And also:

Our Lord (glorified and exalted be He) descends each night to the earth's sky when there remains the final third of the night, and He says: Who is saying a prayer to Me that I may answer it? Who is asking something of Me that I may give it him? Who is asking forgiveness of Me that I may forgive him?
              [quote author=Medusa link=topic=96.msg18240#msg18240 date=1291020050]
              What, if any is the rule on tattoos?
              [/quote]

Permanent ones are not allowed.

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg18144#msg18144 date=1290989622]
                The right cause to fight in Islam is to fight in the way of god. I will show you what that means from the Qur'an. As in I will show you the verses that talk about fighting and why Muslims on one hand were permitted to fight (after 13 years of persecution) and on the other hand why they were encouraged to fight. And then I will give you an example of a Muslim soldier in the battlefield.
                [/quote]

Thanks so much for the well thought out answer, D. I do understand a lot more now what the perception is. It's hard being here in the west, sometimes. I can tell you what the perceptions are here, but I love that I can come to you and say, "Hey, this is what it looks like over here (thanks to the media and/or ignorant sentiment) -- I know there is more to it than that....tell me, D!"

Thanks for that!
                Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg18456#msg18456 date=1291071668]
                  When you are dead your time is up. There is nothing you can 'add' in terms of good deeds, except in three conditions.
                  [/quote]

Which?

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg18456#msg18456 date=1291071668]
                  Permanent ones are not allowed.
                  [/quote]

Why not?

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=96.msg18485#msg18485 date=1291075571]

Thanks so much for the well thought out answer, D. I do understand a lot more now what the perception is. It's hard being here in the west, sometimes. I can tell you what the perceptions are here, but I love that I can come to you and say, "Hey, this is what it looks like over here (thanks to the media and/or ignorant sentiment) -- I know there is more to it than that....tell me, D!"

Thanks for that!

[/quote]

You are most welcome!

I always try to support my answers with evidence from scripture and so on, so it doesn't become an issue of their word vs my word. Plus, there are a lot of translations of the Qur'an out there and also online, so you can check it for yourself.

I do enjoy answerting your questions, so keep them coming!

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=96.msg18581#msg18581 date=1291115108]
                    Which?
                    [/quote][/quote]

Because God said so.

(Any permanent changes to our bodies, without a justified reason, such as a medical necessity for example, are not allowed)

Comment

There is a very short Surah in the Qur'an (4 verses only) that sums up the nature of God. Here it is:[/quote]

That was beautiful. It gave me chills...thanks for sharing, D.

Did you know that with the exception of one chapter all chapters begin with "In the name of Allah the Most Merciful, the Ever Merciful?"
                      [/quote]

I didn't know that...if I understand right, then, it's to emphasize his mercy, and make sure that no matter what, you keep that in your mind and heart?

I'll need to watch the other video bit by bit(it seems like a red flag for my kids to have a trouble). but so far very, very interesting.

And that makes total sense about Arabic language structure! Thank you!
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=96.msg18722#msg18722 date=1291145173]
                        That was beautiful. It gave me chills...thanks for sharing, D.
                        [/quote]

You're welcome

I didn't know that...if I understand right, then, it's to emphasize his mercy, and make sure that no matter what, you keep that in your mind and heart?
                        Exactly!

At the bottom of everything it is the one thing we are striving for.

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg18716#msg18716 date=1291144713]
                          Because God said so.

(Any permanent changes to our bodies, without a justified reason, such as a medical necessity for example, are not allowed)
                          [/quote]

Thanks for the three-works answer, but where/when/how does God say so? :P

Comment

So the syllabus for my class along with many of our assignments it already up and it already has be coming up with a few new questions.

One of our readings is the Autobiography of Malcolm X. Now the name is really familiar to me, like I feel I should know it, but I'm drawing a blank. Who is he in the world of Islam?

Another of our readings is "section from the Qur'an + selections from Hadith + selections from Tafsir + Modern Islamic Thought + Introduction to Islam" What is Hadith and Tafsir?

Finally our paper for the class is on something called Zakah. What's that pertaining to?
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Im not sure if this was asked or not but, I heard that hell in islam is temporary(like no one is there forever) is this true? Is there a verse pertaining to this?
                              Circe

Comment

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=96.msg19094#msg19094 date=1291240743]
                                Thanks for the three-works answer, but where/when/how does God say so? :P
                                [/quote]

Hehe

It's from a saying of Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). He is reported to have cursed the tattooer and the tattooed. (Reported by Muslim)

Of course, god knows best.

Also, just to add since someone may be wondering, this doesn't mean that someone with tattoos cannot become Muslim. Because when someone becomes Muslim, all their sins are taken away!

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg19340#msg19340 date=1291324531]
                                So the syllabus for my class along with many of our assignments it already up and it already has be coming up with a few new questions.
                                [/quote]

Cool, keep the questions coming. I'm more than happy to answer them for you

One of our readings is the Autobiography of Malcolm X. Now the name is really familiar to me, like I feel I should know it, but I'm drawing a blank. Who is he in the world of Islam?
                                Are you from America? You don't know who Malcolm X is?

In terms of Islam, he didn't become Muslim till maybe one year before his death. Before that he was Christian and then joined the Nation of Islam, before breaking off from that organization in 1964. He performed the pilgrimage after that and became really Muslim. He is an inspiration and a role model to lots of Muslim youths.

[youtube]wgqIek2TYvg[/youtube]

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg19340#msg19340 date=1291324531]
                                Another of our readings is "section from the Qur'an + selections from Hadith + selections from Tafsir + Modern Islamic Thought + Introduction to Islam" What is Hadith and Tafsir?
                                [/quote]

Hadith = Saying of Muhammad, peace be upon him.

Tafsir = Explanation, usually in reference to the Qur'an. Some people use the word interpretation of the Qur'an.

Finally our paper for the class is on something called Zakah. What's that pertaining to?
                                Zakah = The charity every Muslim has to pay. The word comes from the word meaning to purify or to cleanse.

Im not sure if this was asked or not but, I heard that hell in islam is temporary(like no one is there forever) is this true? Is there a verse pertaining to this?
                                No, it is not temporary.

However, I've heard two opinions regarding some people in hell. One opinion says that whoever enters hell will remain there eternally. While the other opinion was that some people enter hell for a specific time and then go to heaven.

But I don't have enough information to give you a precise answer. So god knows best

Comment

Working...
                                X