X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg19649#msg19649 date=1291417071]
    Are you from America? You don't know who Malcolm X is?
    [/quote]

It's sad, I'm sure, but I've a love/hate relationship with history. I like learning about cultures, so learning their history is important, but I dislike that necessary learning about history itself. I have a lot of trouble remembering names as well, for instance it's not uncommon for me to not be able to remember the name of the main character in a book even if I've only just finished it an hour or two ago.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Hey D,

I know you've been busy the past couple of weeks, so no rush on this....it's more a human rights issue then a religion issue, too(hope you don't mind).

WikiLeaks recently released a cable revealing that U.S. Government contractor DynCorp(which is funded by taxpayer money) threw a party for Afghan security recruits featuring "Bacha Bazi", a form of entertainment in which pre-teen boys are dressed in women's clothing, dance for adult men, and are after sold to the highest bidder for sexual use.

While I know that you are most familiar with the culture in Egypt, and I'm fairly sure you'll say that such practices are against the Qu'ran, how common is this sort of practice in Middle Eastern countries? Do governments turn a blind eye to child trafficking? Is it possible that if governments were more tolerant of homosexual activity between consenting adults, this would not have become a cultural practice, or are they two separate issues? Is it possible that some men feel pressure to participate, or be looked down on by their business associates?
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=96.msg22063#msg22063 date=1292269808]
        Hey D,

I know you've been busy the past couple of weeks, so no rush on this....it's more a human rights issue then a religion issue, too(hope you don't mind).
        [/quote]

I don't mind at all, it's a very important issue that needs to be addressed. (Plus what good is religion if it doesn't address human rights!)

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=96.msg22063#msg22063 date=1292269808]
        WikiLeaks recently released a cable revealing that U.S. Government contractor DynCorp(which is funded by taxpayer money) threw a party for Afghan security recruits featuring "Bacha Bazi", a form of entertainment in which pre-teen boys are dressed in women's clothing, dance for adult men, and are after sold to the highest bidder for sexual use.
        [/quote]

Wow.

I am at a loss for words. You know, there are times when I'm glad that I believe hell exists.

While I know that you are most familiar with the culture in Egypt, and I'm fairly sure you'll say that such practices are against the Qu'ran, how common is this sort of practice in Middle Eastern countries?
        This is the first time I hear of such practices. I'll only speak for Egypt and perhaps other Arab countries, but even the worst kind of criminals over here, consider child molesters to be extremely evil. For example, when a known child molester spends some time in jail, they are often severely attacked by other prisoners. Not that I encourage that, I'm just saying.

Do governments turn a blind eye to child trafficking?
        here.

So we take those things very seriously.

Is it possible that if governments were more tolerant of homosexual activity between consenting adults, this would not have become a cultural practice, or are they two separate issues?
        Honestly, in my opinion, I see them as two separate issues.

Think of it this way, I'm guessing your culture is more lax about relationships between men and women outside of marriage, correct? Does that automatically make the rape statistics go down?

Furthermore, I don't see any excuse for rape, especially when it comes to children. I am not married yet, doesn't mean I have an urge to molest children. I think that's absurd.

Is it possible that some men feel pressure to participate, or be looked down on by their business associates?
        I really don't understand this. Shouldn't it be the other way round? That if you commit such crimes you'd want to hide it from others?

Again, I don't really see any excuse to do this. Pressured or not, if someone does this then they deserve nothing but to be executed. And speaking of Afghanistan, remember those execution videos they showed from over there? I really think it's exactly those people that should be killed in public, to serve as an example to anyone who would even think about doing this to a child.
        [4:82]

Comment

Salaam alaikum!

I've only skimmed through this thread so sorry if someone else has quoted this reference, but, I'm sure it was in Lois Bourne's autobiography 'Witch Amongst Us' it is related that many Islamic precepts were brought back by 'crusaders' of the Middle Ages and evolved into Wiccan and Pagan precepts ...

As a Wiccan/Pagan studying Urdu a few years ago and listening to radio Ramzan, I was transfixed to hear a broadcast on Islamic belief and think, 'wow, that's what we believe!'

Bilkul thik, thik hai na?

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg22355#msg22355 date=1292362914]
            I don't mind at all, it's a very important issue that needs to be addressed. (Plus what good is religion if it doesn't address human rights!)

Wow.

I am at a loss for words. You know, there are times when I'm glad that I believe hell exists.

This is the first time I hear of such practices. I'll only speak for Egypt and perhaps other Arab countries, but even the worst kind of criminals over here, consider child molesters to be extremely evil. For example, when a known child molester spends some time in jail, they are often severely attacked by other prisoners. Not that I encourage that, I'm just saying.[/quote]here.[/quote]

Wow, that is really cool!

TBH, too, I didn't know Egypt had a first lady...have you ever considered a brief post on Egypt's political structure?

Honestly, in my opinion, I see them as two separate issues.

Think of it this way, I'm guessing your culture is more lax about relationships between men and women outside of marriage, correct? Does that automatically make the rape statistics go down?

Furthermore, I don't see any excuse for rape, especially when it comes to children. I am not married yet, doesn't mean I have an urge to molest children. I think that's absurd. [/quote]

I agree...that's one of the argument I've been hearing running around, though, and so I wanted your take on it. I think that sort of attitude muddies the waters, and ultimately damages both camps more then it helps.

I really don't understand this. Shouldn't it be the other way round? That if you commit such crimes you'd want to hide it from others?

Again, I don't really see any excuse to do this. Pressured or not, if someone does this then they deserve nothing but to be executed. And speaking of Afghanistan, remember those execution videos they showed from over there? I really think it's exactly those people that should be killed in public, to serve as an example to anyone who would even think about doing this to a child.
            [/quote]

The reason I was wondering about that is because one of the articles mentioned that this is a common practice for businessmen to get involved in.

When my FIL had a job that frequently took him to Asia, it was a common expectation for businessmen to get together and drink at "hostess" bars, and other similar activities. The fact that he had no desire to do so sometimes was looked down upon by his Japanese associates, and unless very carefully handled, could reflect poorly on him, and his company, since it could be seen as him not wanting to be "one of the guys", etc.

I'm wondering if there's a similar element of group pressure and machismo involved here.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Lilith link=topic=96.msg22366#msg22366 date=1292364698]
              Salaam alaikum!

I've only skimmed through this thread so sorry if someone else has quoted this reference, but, I'm sure it was in Lois Bourne's autobiography 'Witch Amongst Us' it is related that many Islamic precepts were brought back by 'crusaders' of the Middle Ages and evolved into Wiccan and Pagan precepts ...

As a Wiccan/Pagan studying Urdu a few years ago and listening to radio Ramzan, I was transfixed to hear a broadcast on Islamic belief and think, 'wow, that's what we believe!'

Bilkul thik, thik hai na?
              [/quote]

Wa Alaykum Assalam!

That's really interesting to hear

Is that Urdu? I don't know what it means because I don't speak Urdu.

PS: Welcome aboard by the way!

Comment

What does Salaam alaikum and Wa Alaykum Assalam mean? There is a muslim family in Eastenders who say it all the time and I've always wondered
                http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

[quote author=shadow1982 link=topic=96.msg22911#msg22911 date=1292527006]
                  What does Salaam alaikum and Wa Alaykum Assalam mean? There is a muslim family in Eastenders who say it all the time and I've always wondered
                  [/quote]

First one is "Peace be upon you" and the second one is the response "And peace be upon you"

It's she shorter version of the Islamic greetings of: Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Which translates to "May the peace, blessings and mercy of Allah be upon you"

Comment

salamialaklayakum
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

This is sort of a random question...but I was listening to NPR, and they had this story on about how Saddam Hussein had a Quran commissioned and written from his own blood...and aside from the apparent controversey over the act and the item itself--in terms of the blood part, led me to wonder if there is some sort of protocol or tradition if one *would* need/want to get rid of their copy of the Quran. Like, if its worn...your 3 year old gets ahold of it and colors in it...your dog chews on it...etc. Is there a prefered method for the book to be respectfully disposed of?
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=96.msg24511#msg24511 date=1293155977]
                        This is sort of a random question...but I was listening to NPR, and they had this story on about how Saddam Hussein had a Quran commissioned and written from his own blood...and aside from the apparent controversey over the act and the item itself--in terms of the blood part, led me to wonder if there is some sort of protocol or tradition if one *would* need/want to get rid of their copy of the Quran. Like, if its worn...your 3 year old gets ahold of it and colors in it...your dog chews on it...etc. Is there a prefered method for the book to be respectfully disposed of?
                        [/quote]
                        omg. I was going to ask about this as well. It totally blows my mind!

My question on this topic. I know it's haram to do this in blood. But it's also a no no to destroy a holy book. So what would your opinion be on what to do with this? For now it's just locked away because they can't even figure out what to do with it.

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=96.msg24589#msg24589 date=1293177048]
                          omg. I was going to ask about this as well. It totally blows my mind!
                          [/quote]

lemme guess...you heard the same segment on NPR?

...I know I'm not the only NPR junkie around here
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

First time I hear about this, it's no where on the news here.

I will give you a quick answer first, cause there's something I wanna rant about. :P

I've looked it up, and it seems most scholars say that if you have to dispose a copy of the Qur'an the best way to do it is to wrap it in a pure piece of cloth and then burying it in a place where people normally don't walk. Or you can tie the Qur'an to something heavy and throw it in flowing water.

If none of these options are possible, you can also burn the copy, although it is not recommended. And god knows best, of course.

By the way, while we respect the paper and ink used to write down the Qur'an, the Qur'an itself, here on earth, cannot be disposed of because it's a recitation (Qur'an = that which is recited) and is protected by Allah himself. (Just a FYI )

And now for the rant...

It seems the article is saying there's a huge controversy regarding this issue, although like I said, till now I haven't heard anything about it. And I sincerely hope this doesn't become one because it would be utterly ridicules.

We are talking about a man who has committed mass murder. He has killed a lot of Muslims and non Muslims. And he has spilled a lot of blood. But now people want to react about his blood and forget about all the blood that has been spilled by him? Makes no sense to me.

The messenger of Allah, said the following while addressing the Ka'ba (at the sacred mosque in Mecca):

"How sweet/ good are you and how sweet is your scent. How great are you and how great is your sanctity. By the One who the soul of Mohammad is in His Hand the sanctity of a believer is greater with Allah than your sanctity"

It should concern us more that believers have been killed, rather than make a big deal out of paper and ink/blood.

Comment

You should listen to NPR. There's alot of stuff about your religion and specifically your country. It might have news you aren't exactly getting over there for whatever reasons. And it's pretty objective too. They tend to use the information from your actual peeps. As opposed to just us Americans assuming stuff. It's your actual people giving the interviews and updates. This is just a total derail. Sorry.

It should concern us more that believers have been killed, rather than make a big deal out of paper and ink/blood.
                              I agree. But...it's more about politics. People get pissed if you see Sarah Palin killing some moose. But then get pissed if you decide to be all pro animal rights. People in govt just cannot win. I assume it's like that about this story. People hate him. But people also believe in the sanctity of the Qu'ran. Then you have this douche bag of a killer decide hey! I'll just write this in my own blood.. (for his made up purpose of thanking Allah for his son's life) when it's just about totally fucking over people. Knowing good and well he's committing haram by doing this book in blood, yet calling on the very book he's committing haram against as his defense. This very act is what upsets people who cannot understand terrorists. I will kill you because my book says so. Yet..I am going to do it by breaking every single rule my book says. Great.

Comment

Oh I was actually ranting and criticizing certain Muslims.

Like I said, I don't know if it's become a big deal or not, but I'm hoping it doesn't. You know, it reminds me of the burn the Qur'an thing. First of all, do not feed the troll. Second, you have every right to be upset and try to speak against it and all, but it doesn't make any sense to just consume your time and focus your energy regarding some dude in a far country who's going to burn a bunch of books, and not be at least equally angry and concerned regarding the fact that Muslims are being killed.

What is more sacred with Allah? Paper and ink or the life of one of his creation?

Oh also, this is a bit off topic, but Saddam Hussein was very secular. He actually persecuted religious parties in Iraq. So I guess he does have something in common with Barack Hussein Obama, they both run secular countries :P

Knowing good and well he's committing haram by doing this book in blood, yet calling on the very book he's committing haram against as his defense.
                                Oh look at you shouting haram left and right. I love it when you get all Jodihad! Get it? It's Jodee + Jihad :P ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X