X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=96.msg27741#msg27741 date=1294614006]
    Duly chastened for my sloppiness!

I should have first clarified for myself the difference between Sharia and... is there a specific word that means religious obligation? What I meant, though, was regardless of what women are religiously supposed to do, the Wiki article suggests that definitely most but not nearly all Muslim women wear headcoverings, and that there's a national/cultural component. For example, it states that in Bangladesh (90% Muslim) it's mostly rural women who wear it, and that in Jordan about 60% of women wear it. (I just spent some time rummaging through the article's outside links, and at least the ones I hit looked legit. The Jordan figure isn't cited.) Looks like there's some contraversy in Tunisia, a 98% Muslim country in which headcoverings are not traditional, are newly growing, and are seen by the government as a foreign influence. (Check out the BBC article and the religion section of the wiki page).

I guess my question is to what degree internationally this

describes religious writ versus religious practice, and what you think about what looks like a sometimes/someplaces difference between the two. (For the record, I don't ask about this as any kind of judgment--it's more common for there to be some difference than for all practitioners of a religion to follow all written obligations at all times. That's just people. I trust that God understands.)
    [/quote]

Ah, I see what you mean now!

You are right about what you say. Though it is a religious obligation, not all Muslim women wear it. Thing is, even if you ask almost all women who don't wear it, they will still tell you it's a religious requirement.

Oh and the Arabic word for religious obligation is fard.
    [4:82]

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg27870#msg27870 date=1294685142]
      You are right about what you say. Though it is a religious obligation, not all Muslim women wear it. Thing is, even if you ask almost all women who don't wear it, they will still tell you it's a religious requirement.

Oh and the Arabic word for religious obligation is fard.
      [/quote]

Thanks! Do you have any stories/links about how those women who don't wear it but do say it's fard, come to their decision not to wear it (excluding those legally banned from wearing it in certain places and circumstances)?

Comment

Similarities between religions always interest me, so I just want to throw this in here - I was raised in a Catholic home and us females always had to wear a hat to church. In fact, my mother used to carry a couple of little lace doilies and bobby pins in her purse in case we stopped by a church, so that we could go in. In Catholic school we wore "beanies" on our heads (looked like yarmulkes). This rule was lifted sometime in the 70's, I believe.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=96.msg27882#msg27882 date=1294691574]
          Similarities between religions always interest me, so I just want to throw this in here - I was raised in a Catholic home and us females always had to wear a hat to church. In fact, my mother used to carry a couple of little lace doilies and bobby pins in her purse in case we stopped by a church, so that we could go in. In Catholic school we wore "beanies" on our heads (looked like yarmulkes). This rule was lifted sometime in the 70's, I believe.
          [/quote]
          I too was raised in a Catholic home. Since our church was mainly congregated with Hispanics, veils were and are still worn in the church. Catholicism oddly has alot of similarities with Islam. Which is probably why a growing portion of Catholic and Hispanic women revert to Islam. There is a sense of familiarity.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

And many former Catholics are also Pagan, which is why we refer to the church as Pagan-preschool. Until I realized how many Pagans were raise Mormon...
            Sleep, my friend, and you will see
            That dream is my reality

Comment

Most if not all mainstream religions originated in Paganism, and there are common threads throughout all of them if you look deeply enough. Most people really do want the same things, spiritually.
              sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=96.msg27936#msg27936 date=1294706145]
                Most if not all mainstream religions originated in Paganism, and there are common threads throughout all of them if you look deeply enough. Most people really do want the same things, spiritually.
                [/quote]
                We all want the same things. We just call these things by different names: Heaven, Summerland, Otherworld, etc
                Sleep, my friend, and you will see
                That dream is my reality

Comment

[quote author=calfhill link=topic=96.msg27947#msg27947 date=1294707017]
                  We all want the same things. We just call these things by different names: Heaven, Summerland, Otherworld, etc
                  [/quote]
                  Exactamundo. And we all talk about peace on Earth but can't seem to achieve it.
                  sigpic

Comment

I've always wondered, how do you determine which Hadiths are orthodox and which ones are not?

Comment

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=96.msg27880#msg27880 date=1294690169]
                      Thanks! Do you have any stories/links about how those women who don't wear it but do say it's fard, come to their decision not to wear it (excluding those legally banned from wearing it in certain places and circumstances)?
                      [/quote]

Most of them say that they are not ready yet, and that they will do it when 'god guides them'. They always ask to pray for them.

But I will ask my mother specifically, and tell you what her reply is

[quote author=Hawkfeathers link=topic=96.msg27882#msg27882 date=1294691574]
                      [/quote]

Yep.

From a Muslim perspective, all these prophets and messengers of god preached the same message and the same religion. And that is the religion of Islam (which means the submission to god and to his will etc)

According to the Qur'an, Mary (peace be upon her) was the best amongst all women of the world and is a role model for all believers. And I find it interesting that if you look at any picture of her, she dresses exactly like Muslim women dress.

Also, in reply to the other comments, I think what makes Islam unique, is that it is the pure and sincere worship of the Creator rather than the creation. Lots of Pagan beliefs incorporate elements of creation into their worship. And that's what sets Islam apart from everyone else. (Though there are gray areas) So it's a really cool topic for discussion, because of all the different opinions!

[quote author=frankophonic link=topic=96.msg27987#msg27987 date=1294713302]
                      I've always wondered, how do you determine which Hadiths are orthodox and which ones are not?
                      [/quote]

Oh there's a whole science and methodology for that, the science of Hadith. I can give you links for more details about the topic but I will try to sum it up. It's actually a great academic science, rather than a pure theological one.

Any Hadith consists of two parts. The chain of narrators and the text of the actual saying of Muhammad, peace be upon him.

First there is the investigation of the actual narrators. Who they are, did they report unauthentic sayings before, were they present at that specific place at that specific time. In short you have to determine if the narrator is reliable or not.

And then obviously you have to determine if the chain of narration can be traced back to the Messenger of Allah or not. A Hadith looks like this:

Again, it's a matter of verifying how many persons heard that saying, from how many people, and how many people were present when Muhammad, peace be upon him, mentioned this saying.

And that's why there are different degrees of authenticity regarding those sayings. If the narrators are reliable and there's a huge chain of transmission then the Hadith is regarded as highly authentic.

Comment

Dumuzi,

Thank you for your post and words, I have a question as it seems that your saying that women in Islam are protected and equals, Would you please name one country in the world today that is ruled by a Islamic "Shariah" law where women are permitted to vote?

Modi
                        Gunnarr Sandisson
                        "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
                        Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

[quote author=Modi link=topic=96.msg28257#msg28257 date=1294837909]
                          Dumuzi,

Thank you for your post and words, I have a question as it seems that your saying that women in Islam are protected and equals, Would you please name one country in the world today that is ruled by a Islamic "Shariah" law where women are permitted to vote?

Modi

[/quote]

Hello again Modi

This is a very interesting question.

First I have to point out that there are no countries today that are ruled purely by Islamic law. However, I'm assuming you are asking about countries that are run by Muslims mainly, or have a majority Muslim population.

As for your question, there are only two countries in the world today, where specifically women cannot vote. Those countries are Saudi Arabia (They don't actually have elections there, it only happened once in 2005) and the Vatican City.

I will talk about Muslim rules at the end of my reply, but first I want to mention something that I find highly interesting.

While women are permitted to vote in America for example, a female president hasn't been elected yet. (Not that there is anything wrong with that) But let's look at Muslim countries that don't only permit women to vote, but have had very interesting election results.

Indonesia is the number one most populous Muslim majority country and they have elected a female president. That means Muslims have voted for a female to be their leader.

But perhaps that was just an exception?

Pakistan is the second most populous Muslim majority country and not only have they voted for a female head of state, they have done it TWICE, which were non consecutive.

Perhaps that was an exception, too?

Bangladesh is the third most populous Muslim majority country and they have voted two times for female prime ministers.

Just an exception?

Turkey, which is the fifth (I think) most populous Muslim majority country has also elected a female prime minister.

As you can see, the list goes on and on. Which proves that most Muslims in the world have no trouble choosing a woman for their president. So not only are they permitted to vote, they even run whole countries.

And if you look at Muslim rules and history, you'll find out that Islam gave that right to women. On any public matter, a woman may voice her opinion and participate in politics. One example, narrated in the Qur'an (60:12), is that Muhammad, peace be upon him, is told that when the believing women come to him and swear their allegiance to Islam, he must accept their oath. This established the right of women to select their leader and publicly declare so.

I will just leave you with this as food for thought. Islam gave those rights and more to women 1400 years ago. At that time the Pagan Arabs were killing their female infants because they considered it as a shame to their family. And Europe at that time was debating whether women had souls or not.

Comment

Is the Vatican on that list simply because there are no women in the clergy there or is it specifically no women rule? Just really curious about what you found.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Dumuzi, I have a question.....I notice that you and other Muslims I've heard speak, or read things they've written, always say "Peace be upon him/her" after a reference to some holy figure. Is this a requirement or a custom?
                              sigpic

Comment

Dumuzi,

Your answer is not answering the question, I appreciate the time and effort you put in on your posts so i will give you some country's where Islamic and sharia law are in function, these may not be the most populated of country's but where the systems named are in place,

Afghanistan Islamic law
                                Iran Islamic law
                                Libya Islamic law
                                Nigeria Sharia
                                Oman Sharia and tribal custom laws
                                Saudi Arabia Islamic law
                                Sudan Based on Islamic law
                                Yemen Islamic law

Hope this helps in finding the answer to my question.

Modi
                                Gunnarr Sandisson
                                "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
                                Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

Working...
                                X