X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Altars

11988576_10207511869174825_2713706389999727677_n.jpg

I've already posted this pic in a different thread, but I thought I'd post it here too, since we're all showcasing.

At the left, we have a shell that holds water in front of a BathAquaGlass hydria that I've wanted for years and finally bought myself.

Down in front, we have My 'Altar blend' candle in a pewter candle bowl, flanked by a Lugh candle and a Rhiannon candle (for when I work with either or both of them specifically).

At the right is white cage incense in a leaf-shaped burner.

At the back, which you can't see, is a little geode.

In the centre is my cauldron with affirmations in it, and in front of that is a little Triple Goddess coin. Then I have two little offerings bowls, one with a piece of maple sugar and one which sometimes holds wine.

When I get my room tidier, maybe I'll take better pictures of all the different things :-)
    She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

My little altar was burnt down to ashes last year. The fire nearly consumed the whole apartment.
      (No, I didn't leave any candle or incense burning, and no there was no cable anywhere close, so no the fire wasn't caused by short-circuitry). It was gone, but I made a new one, upgraded it and put a lot more items after taking this picture. Anyway, here is a picture of how it looks after the consecration after the fire.
      10974489_788540644554445_129696153445368300_o.jpg

And this is a few months later. Note: My culture forbids cleaning a house shrine/altar without a proper ceremony that includes slaughter of animal and giving it's blood as offering. That's why it was cluttered.
      11935605_895876010487574_1918216882978519716_o.jpg

Got a few things there. Bowl for blood offering, chalice for water, sacred prayer stones, wax & straw voodoo dolls, stone talismans, rune sets, athame, prayer sheet, sword, a paper pyramid and an assortment of crystals buried somewhere in that pile. lol. Btw, that statue of Hesus simply represents the divine without me worshiping him in modern religion sense.

Comment

Since I have never allowed photos of magikal space I have this "word picture" for you:

Inspired by deity he wrote the cycles of the world and the celebrations for each.

The sun being their source of energy figured prominently in his celebrations.
        The solar cycle was broken down into the four milestones of their travel around it. Beginning at the Winter solstice when the sun was at its weakest - like the old man and the newborn child. This was a time of year to celebrate the end of one year and the beginning of the next.

The Winter Solstice, December 20th to the 22nd, he gathered his family in a circle outside his home. In the center of the circle was a large stone altar and at each of the primary quarters of the circle were smaller quarter altars. In the North the altar was green as this was the Earth quarter. In the East the altar was yellow as this was the altar of Air. In the South the altar was red as this was the altar of Fire. The altar in the West was violet for this was the altar of Water. At each was a candle that was to be lit to welcome the Guardian of that realm. The larger central altar was fitted with a covering of Yellow cloth. Upon the cloth, in the center, was a round disk made of potter's clay that was hardened by heat as hot as the forge to transform and purify it. It was the symbol of the foundation for all that was about to take place. The disk was only one finger thick and two hands in diameter. The surface was embellished with the sign of Arratu in the colors of the elements. It represented the universe, the four elements and where the four elements came together was the fifth element, Spirit. Just North of the disk were three lamps. One in silver to represent the purity and compassion of Ki, one on the right side in gold to signify the place of An beside her in all things, and between them the spirit lamp. A violet lamp that would recognize the ancestors who would be called upon to join in the celebration of the reunion of mankind and deity. North of the lamps was a small container of rain water - water cleansed by the air itself - gathered to cleanse the area at the start of their celebration. Next to that was a container of salt. It was the distillate of sea water gathered for the making of this sacred salt. Salt used to consecrate the area before our communion would begin. On the West side of the altar was a glass goblet, standing like a huge wine glass and filled with the juice of the grape. Next to it was a platen with some fruited bread. On the East side of the altar was a wand. A piece of Willow as big around as his thumb, pierced through from end to end with a magnetic rod, with a crystal of clear quartz at the tip and a point of smoky quartz at the base. This was a tool used to invite the intelligent energy of the universe to join them for support in their navigation through the communion with deity. Next to it was a censer. This tool would be used to prepare the space for those spirits who would join them. At the south end of the altar lie a dagger. It bore a black handle of Ebony and a steel blade ten inches long with both edges sharp all the way from hilt to tip. This was a tool to assertively direct their energy toward their goal. With the altars set and the energy balanced He struck the gong. It rang clear and proud as his wife entered the space. He struck it again and again as the rest of the family moved into the circle. It rung out one last time as he walked to the altar from the south of the circle stopping at the altar. He directed everyone to be at peace and clear of mind. He reminded them that they were shortly to be in communion with the great gods and goddesses and that they would partner to provide a year of health, wealth and happiness.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I acquired a small bookcase from my mum's while sorting it out this afternoon. I'm going to use that in my altar-closet, with my altar on top, so everything can be nicely organised and easily accessible. At the moment it is just on a small fold-away table, with my tools, and whatnot in boxes that are stacked up under and around it. I have to do a lot of awkward moving and digging to find anything. Of course photos will follow once I've had a chance to get in and set it up!
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Yay Jembru! Bookcases are always great for everything. Can't wait to see your set up.
            ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
              Yay Jembru! Bookcases are always great for everything. Can't wait to see your set up.
              Finally got time to sort it today! Took hours, not least because I started cleaning and tidying the rest of the study. Besides my witchy-wardrobe, the room is mainly JP's little man-den where he keeps all his nerdy stuff and does all his nerdy things.. and makes a heck of a lot of mess in the process!

The altar looks bare because I haven't put seasonal decorations on yet (that way, I have an excuse to post more pics throughout the year!!), but I really like the space now and can't wait to get witching at it!

As always you'll have to forgive the terrible camera on my crappy phone, but this is the new setup;

My plan is to use the top part of the altar more like a shrine, with deity and totem statues, libations and seasonal decorations. Then the space beneath can be used for any working I might be doing;

Then when I lift up the altar cloth there's all this lovely storage underneath;

I even have a proper place to keep all my art and craft stuff (I figured it belongs in there as I often use it for decorating my BoS anyway).

My box of essential oils and the incense sticks used to be kept on the top self. Now that they have a home on my 'candles and smellies' shelf, I can fit more books on the top shelf so all my witchy books are together now! I guess it's just as well a self-proclaimed HPS 'borrowed' 20+ books from me and never returned them. I'd never have fit them all on that shelf if she had!

It's much better organised now and I'm encroaching much less on the rest of the study with my books. JP has more shelf space now too! I'm just not sure whether or not to keep my BoS in there, or keep them where they are in the bedroom. It would be nice to have everything together in one place I guess.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Jembru, lovely! It looks like it's going to work out perfectly well!

And space for them or not, sorry to hear about the "borrowed" books.

Comment

Fabulous, Jembru! Do I spot a Marina Baker book on there...?

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

Jembru, lovely! It looks like it's going to work out perfectly well!

And space for them or not, sorry to hear about the "borrowed" books.
                    Ah, I'm not the first pagan to get tangled up with a dodgy group, and I won't be the last. There were some really good books though, one that I was gifted and probably won't ever be able to replace. It was an early edition of Robin Skelton's 'The Practice of Witchcraft Today'. I can find a reprint, but not that exact book. I used to get angry about it now and then, but these days I feel I'm suffocating under so many books in this small flat, so it's probably for the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by October View Post
                    Fabulous, Jembru! Do I spot a Marina Baker book on there...?
                    Name doesn't ring a bell, so I don't think so. I've just realised there's a witchy book I forgot about. I have the Farrer's Witch's Bible compilation. Damn. Something's gonna have to go...

Comment

Jembru, that's a really nice, organized and pretty set up!
                      I'm sure you'll get that last book to fit

Comment

Here's mine, decorated for the equinox.

autumnequinox201501.jpgautumnequinox201502.jpgautumnequinox201504.jpgautumnequinox201507.jpgautumnequinox201508.jpgautumnequinox201509.jpg
                        I love the fact that I have a working space right underneath my altar. Yay desks!

Comment

Lovely, Faye! I love it :-)

Comment

I love the fact that I have a working space right underneath my altar. Yay desks!
                            I would love that too! All I have is an oil burner and some crystals at the side of my desk. Nice place to have an altar!

Comment

<------just packed my altar
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Hoping for a smooth move Thal......
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X