Re: Pagan Altars

That's absolutely stunning Loki!
        ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
          One from Mabon:
          Wow, this is really GOOD!!!
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
            One from Mabon:
            Beautiful!

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all of the positive feedback everyone!! :^^:

Comment

looks like all decked out with accessories ... Nice ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Okay, well, since I've decided that this is the year that I start doing things more on my terms and to not do so much based off of what other people feel is right ... To coincide with my first holiday observation (as I mentioned in the Halloween thread), I started on making an outside altar. As of right now, it's very simple, without any real bells and whistles, but I sort of feel that that is part of it's charm for me.

This is in my back yard, almost as far back as possible, tucked into a little alcove with forsythia bushes on both sides. All of the logs are from trees that fell in my yard during a major ice storm a few years ago, interestingly enough a storm that hit ON Halloween. I've had them in a pile at the end of my driveway ever since, saving them for some reason. I just started to grab the ones that felt right, and placed them where they seemed to fit. The stone in the center I had etched myself, the bowl was one of my very first purchases when I became pagan, and I've kept it all this time. The spear has been in my family for at least 30 years. It was given to my grandparents by my uncle after he had visited Africa, and it was supposedly made by the Maasai. I inherited it along with the house after my grandparents died. And well, the rope is pretty new, but I know in time it will lose that white look and will become weathered and dark, matching the rest.

Next week with be it's first ritual outing, the first of many to come.

Comment

Very nice Munin!

Comment

Beautiful! I hope you share it decorated for major sabbats with us

Comment

A shrine to Mictlantecuhtli I've recently put up:

The cardboard box is meant to be a Momoztli (an elevated resting place for the god).

Comment

Very nice LM!

Comment

Munin-Hugin, simple can be so beautiful sometimes; awesome outdoors altar!

LearningMan, although I'm not familiar with Mictlantecuhtli, it does strike me as having a nice Halloween vibe

Comment

Thank you! Mictlantecuhtli is the Aztec god of the dead, is depicted as a skeleton, and is associated with spiders, owls, and bats.

Comment

I am transitioning my altar which is on top of my bookcase in my college dorm room, to celebrate Samhain. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some more stuff at a semi-local Pagan store I'm checking out later today.

I've had to improvise a bit thus far; the white and red-trimmed cloth underneath will probably be my new ordinary altar cloth (was the green one, since it was pretty much the only loose cloth I had at first), and for Samhain I was wishing I had something black to use, but the closest thing was a clean navy blue (so, dark) hand towel. I don't have any non-kitchen related bowls, so I just use a small glass bowl. I cleared off a few things (Havamal, seax pocket knife, etc), although the stone with runes on it is still in the right hand corner, but I just surrounded it with some small colorful leaves I found yesterday. On the left side there I folded up the green cloth and put my little written prayer offering tin on top of it, since its still a few days to Samhain, although I'll take it off during Samhain probably, to make room for other things. I also heard of a tradition of covering Brigid's cross at Samhain, which I think I'll do. That wolf is a painting I did by the way

If I pick up some nice stuff at the Pagan store then I'll have to rearrange and post a picture

Comment

Working...
                                X