This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommended Reading

I would personally recommend "A Book of Pagan Rituals" by Herman Slater. It's a little old fashioned, but overall is a great pagan primer and begins with a very informative introduction to paganism. One down side is that it tends to focus mainly on Wiccan practice rather than on paganism in general, but overall it is a great read.

Comment

Originally posted by Arneci View Post
      Hmmmm...it's funny. I was going to say that my list doesn't end there, but I just realized as I looked through my books that all of them on paganism in any way have some connection to spellwork and witchcraft. I could recommend a lot of books for that, but none that haven't already been mentioned for paganism in general.
      No, please do recommend them anyway! Even if I don't find them fitting for my personal needs, someone else might be able to use them!
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
        I've been looking around for a thread devoted to recommending good Pagan books, but I can't seem to find them.

So, could you recommend some books for me here? Any path will do--I'm not looking for any one thing, but to expand my knowledge. Thank you very much!
        Aztec/MesoAmerican:
        -Religions of Mesoamerica by David Carrasco.
        -Popol Vuh translated by Allen J. Christiansen.
        -The Codex Borgia translated Gisele Diaz and Alan Rodgers.
        -The Madrid Codex edited Gabrielle Vail and Anthony F. Aveni.
        -Treatise on the Heathen Superstitions: That Today Live Among the Indians Native to This New Spain, 1629 by Hernando Ruiz de Alarcon.
        -Mockeries and Metamorphoses of an Aztec God: Tezcatlipoca, "Lord of the Smoking Mirror" by Guilhem Olivier and Michel Besson.
        -The Myth of Quetzalcoatl by Enrique Florescano.
        -City of Sacrifice by David Carrasco.
        -An Analytical Dictionary of Nahuatl by Frances Karttunen.
        -The Essential Codex Mendoza by Frances F. Berdan and Patricia Rieff Anawalt.
        - History and Mythology of the Aztecs: The Codex Chimalpopoca by John Bierhorst.
        -An Illustrated Dictionary of the Gods and Symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya by Mary Ellen Miller and Karl A. Taube.
        -Book of the Gods and Rites and the Ancient Calendar by F. D. Duran.
        -An Introduction to Classical Nahuatl by Michel Launey by Christopher Mackay.

Egyptian:
        -Seth, God of Confusion: A study of his role in Egyptian Mythology and Religion by H Te Velde and Mrs. G. E. van Baaren-Pape.
        -Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt by Geraldine Pinch.
        -The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going Forth by Day by Eva Von Dassow and Raymond Faulkner.
        -The Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Texts by R. O. Faulkner.
        -The Ancient Egyptian Coffin Texts (v. 1-3) by R.O. Faulkner.
        -Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs by James P. Allen.
        -Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many by Erik Hornung and John Baines.
        -Religion in Ancient Egypt: Gods, Myths, and Personal Practice by Byron E. Shafer, John R. Baines, David Silverman, and Leonard H. Lesko.
        -Eternal Egypt: Ancient Rituals for the Modern World by Richard J. Reidy.
        -Legends of the Gods the Egyptian Texts by E. A. Wallis Budge.
        -The Book of the Dead by E. A. Wallis Budge.
        -Egyptian Magic by E. A. Wallis Budge.
        -Ancient Egyptian Divination and Magic by Eleanor L. Harris.
        -An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary by E. A. Wallis Budge.
        -Anubis, Upwawet, and other Deities: Personal Worship and official religion in ancient Egypt by the Egyptian Museum Cairo.
        Last edited by Ramses II; 08 Feb 2012, 07:44.

Comment

Working...
        X