X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where did you start your path?

When did you first *discover* paganism?
    I've used Quija boards since I was a preteen, did automatic writing for a while, tried to make my own "brews" by boiling different crap I found outside, lol. I didn't know about Paganism (that it was real) until I was 18. My boyfriend (now hubby) introduced me a little to his religion (Wicca).

Did you read a book, or meet someone that told you about it?
    My husband showed me his books on Wicca and told me I could read them if I was ever curious about what he believed.

How long did it take you to figure out that *this* (whatever the heck that *this* was for you) was what you were looking for?
    I was skeptical. I thought it was too good to be true but so much of what I was reading felt right. I didn't know there were other Pagan traditions, I thought Wicca was it so I started practicing Wicca. It took about 6mths for me to do this since reading the books my hubby had.

Do you still follow the same tradition?
    No, as I progressed I saw how large Paganism was and gravitated towards being Eclectic and now I'm satisfied with the term Green Witch.

How have your beliefs changed?
    I never believed in the God/Goddess male/female duo thingy too much. It wasn't a major aspect of mine. I never wanted a deity but I have three now. I'm sure once I've learned what I need right now they'll go away. I believe in Divination, Astral Projecting, Witchcraft, using Herbs and Oils and doing things naturally.

What (in your estimation) is the dumbest newbie thing you did or thought?
    Haha oh hmmm... I dunno really, I've always been pretty low-key. I would have to say the thing that irritated me the most would be the constant asking the difference between Witchcraft, Wicca and Paganism. That took me a long time to figure out lol.

Comment

I still feel like I am at the beginning of my path though I have flirted with several alternative spiritual paths in my life. I have a very open spirit which means that I have been led easily by others with more vision when I didn't have drive to make my own decisions.

I've spent years listening to Christian radio programming, one preacher over and over to the point where I felt brainwashed but not interested. My Father finds this programming interesting but as he has never committed himself beyond intellectual affirmation, I am not inspired to devote myself.

In my home, it is taken for granted that you are Christian and straight; however I am neither and though I am 'in the closet', I don't feel the need to step out of it as I am still unsure of where I am going.

I am drawn to symbols more than entities or ideas at this point and generally I am trying to do a lot of research before I start making any claims about having found my way.

I am drawn to crosses, Odin, Lugh and Cernunnos. Sensuality is also important to me. Does that mean anything, I don't know yet.
      Giving is its own reward.

Comment

I grew up in a family of witches... I don't know how long the tradition went back, but certainly it seems to have been known in the mid nineteenth century within the family. However, their particular tradition focused mainly on hexing... something I wasn't really happy with so I left. Old witchcraft wasn't at all interested in harming none - if you annoyed them (as I did) they tended to go after you on a broomstick. Anyway, I struck out on my own, made lots of mistakes, learned lots of new things, and eventually found a path that suited me, which I called Seeking the Green. It's a type of pagan witchcraft, focusing on balancing the light and dark within and without. But having found my path isn't the be all and end all. The path is just a start. I continue to travel (very slowly sometimes) and realise that the destination isn't important at all really. It's making the effort to get up and seek our way that really matters. By much the same way of thinking, getting the 'right ' answers isn't nearly as important as learning to ask the appropriate questions.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

When did you first *discover* paganism? I don't remember exactly how I got into Paganism. I was always into different cultures. I got into Native American culture first, then I got into Shamanism. I got into Wicca but eventually didn't connect to it as much as Paganism in general.

How long did it take you to figure out that *this* (whatever the heck that *this* was for you) was what you were looking for? I knew it right away.
          Do you still follow the same tradition? No
          How have your beliefs changed? They are still evolving.
          -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I grew up in a secular home where we never went to church. I'd always been interested in the old myths and legends and was particularly drawn to the Celtic ones. I began my spiritual path in my teens and kept returning to the Celtic Deities. wanting to believe that They were real. I discovered the books The Spiral Dance by Starhawk and Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler when I was 18. I realized that there were other people out there who believed the same way that I did. I officially declared myself to be a Pagan when I was 21. That was almost 30 years ago.

Comment

When did you first *discover* paganism?: When I was in my twenties. (Yes I'm old.) I was brought up by an Atheist mother, a father who doesn't really discuss his feelings about beliefs, and have Catholic family and Christian family.
                Did you read a book, or meet someone that told you about it? I found the Witches Bible, and got interested that way. Then I went from there, I've read other books, and am still reading.
                How long did it take you to figure out that *this* (whatever the heck that *this* was for you) was what you were looking for? I'm still trying to figure this out, honestly, but am slowly recognizing that its the most close to my heart and my soul.
                Do you still follow the same tradition? I actually have been Christian in the past, but because more often than not, I can't fathom that way of thinking for myself, I have strayed away from it and been drawn more to Paganism.
                How have your beliefs changed? See above. I still keep the spiritual part of me, but like I said, am drawn more towards the Pagan path.
                What (in your estimation) is the dumbest newbie thing you did or thought? Well, since I am still pretty much a newbie, I probably make mistakes every day. Apparently not all Pagans are nature based belief. I am relieved to say, though, that I never did watch The Craft and go "Oh I can't wait to be a witch." No offense to any who have done that though.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  How long did it take you to figure out that *this* (whatever the heck that *this* was for you) was what you were looking for?
                  1. I "discovered" Wicca in a Seventeen magazine haha! The article was about a teenage Wiccan whose family didn't approve and her boyfriends were freaked out by her spellbooks. I'd seen the picture of her altar out by the woods or something and I was attracted to the nature aspect of it. I liked the idea of Magick, but wasn't too sure I believed in it. Before that, my mom told me witches were real and I couldn't be a witch for Halloween because it was disrespectful to them lol. Later I learned my mom used to practice Wicca! And I was brought back to when I was little and she always had cone incense EVERYWHERE and her interest in Tarot (I KNOW, just because you are an incense and tarot lover, does NOT mean you're pagan lol, they're just details I remember). And we talked about witchcraft before I realized I was Pagan. Anyway, I did research on Wicca after I'd seen the article and figured it wasn't for me. I'd only found phoney hocus pocusy sites lol.

2. I'd read more about being Wiccan in a Silver Ravenwolf book, A Witch's Notebook (I was a newb and never heard of SRW's inaccuracies :P ) , in high school to see what it was all about. I figured the herbs were too expensive so I'd "try the Wiccan thing when I get a job," lmao! My mom found my book and told me not to let her boyfriend see it.

3. I considered myself Atheist (though I was more Agnostic) until I'd found out what Paganism really was. It took me a few years after that to actually look up Pagan beliefs and everything and figured "Wow, hey! This is what I believe!" And I'd looked up many different branches of Wicca and other traditions. None of them suited exactly what I believed in though, so I decided Pagan was what suited me perfectly, as opposed to "Wiccan." This was only a couple years ago, I was 20, I believe, now turning 23. And I'd always held Pagan beliefs

4. I still follow my "eclectic" tradition. I do what feels right and natural

5. The only things that have changed since I'd found out what to call myself were.... well my knowledge of the Sabbats and different uses of herbs, crystals and everything like that. I don't celebrate the Sabbats in the Wiccan sense or whatever, I just celebrate the Quarter Sabbats, under the Solstice/Equinox names, to honor nature and the changing of its energies.

6. Dumbest newbie thing I'd thought... There are a few, haha! a. that all Pagans were vegetarian (I mean, come one, they respect living beings haha!) b. they didn't eat at McDonald's because they were "health conscious." c. Pagans were all peaceful and don't argue or judge (pssht, was I wrong!)...

Comment

When did you first *discover* paganism? A few years ago when I began researching the Celts. I Liked the sound of their religion, and that lead me into a wider study of pagan beliefs.
                    Did you read a book, or meet someone that told you about it? Books and the internet have been my sources. There aren't any pagans in my city (that I know about at least) that I can talk to, and so books have been my greatest asset.
                    How long did it take you to figure out that *this* (whatever the heck that *this* was for you) was what you were looking for? Years. I used to be confused with my faith, unsure whether I was into Islam or Taoism or even just if I was an atheist in denial. But the more I read the more beauty I saw, although I can't tell you exactly when I accepted pagan ideas in my head.
                    Do you still follow the same tradition? I have followed my own Celtic path since I have been a pagan.
                    How have your beliefs changed? Although the Celts were my catalyst, lately I have been getting into Norse mythology and getting especially interested in Asatru. My beliefs are certainly changing, but at this time I think I will just keep learning and see where it takes me.
                    What (in your estimation) is the dumbest newbie thing you did or thought? The first time I heard the word neo-pagan I didn't understand what it meant, and I actually thought they were like the Elmish and lived in their little villages trying to literally recreate Celtic lifestyle.
                    "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
                    Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
                    Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

Comment

When I was around 5
                      I remember observing traditions my Family did (they were Maya rituals), and asking my mother about them. My mother, who is an Animist and a bit of a Shaman, told me that I should learn more about these practices and find the path that was right for me.
                      I knew insantly. After I was told to find my path, I researched all the major, minor and esotaric practices I could find. Eventually, I came across the Mezoamerican Gods, and felt a deep conection, almost like they were calling to me.
                      Yes
                      I have begun to incorperate some non traditonal practices into my daily practice.
                      I once though Neo-Pagan was one religon rather than an Umbrella Term

Comment

When I was 15 (about three years ago).

I had always had a strong interest in ancient Celtic mythology and religion, and had always felt some connection to the Celtic pantheons. When I was 13 I met a friend who dabbled in Ceremonial Magick which also helped to aid my interest in paganism. A few years later I started doing some research online as well as through reading books and my journey into paganism pretty much began there.

Not long at all. As soon as I discovered neo-paganism I felt a strong connection and knew that this was what I had been searching for my whole life.

Nope, I've explored various different traditions during my time as a pagan (such as Ceremonial Magick, neo-Wicca, Correllianism, Asatru, Odinism, and Druidry) although I don't currently follow any specific path.

In quite a few ways, and they continue to do so. I'm constantly questioning and redefining what I believe; for me that's part of my spiritual journey.

Lol that's a hard one...at first I believed Wicca was an accurate reconstruction of ancient Celtic religion ahaha...

Comment

In my early teens. I couldn't pinpoint a year.

I had friends who were Wiccans and that was the extend of my knowledge of paganism for many years.

There were some ideas from Wicca that I still hold true to this day. It wasn't until late last year that I realized where my path is going.

It's evolving, but the core is still there.

I don't do spellwork (not that I did much back then), and while I do believe in karma, I no longer believe in the Rule of Three, exactly. There is probably more, but I'm blanking on specifics.

I thoughts that being Pagan meant that you had to do and believe in magic.
                          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Thanks for information

Comment

funny, i'll say i discovered wicca in 88 when i moved to miami and met my teacher.
                              I just walked into her shop and she said that word "wicca" to me. and you know that feeling when ice crawls along your spine? yeah. that happened. so i asked her to teach me about it. little did i know what i was asking. and this was back when that word wasnt everywhere, you know.
                              see that above- but honestly, learning wicca didnt change my beliefs. that just gave me a frame of refrence.
                              not really, I mean i don't practice inthe way she did- i just do what i feel i need to do.
                              like Arrow said above- they havent changed, just evolved.
                              that there was a fellowship in neo-paganisim. that all those that proclaimed to follow these ways were good and noble. but hey- i was a kid.

Comment

I posted this in another thread on stregheria,but thought I would add it here.

I also tend to follow the ways of the stregheria. My Mothers Mother was outwardly VERY Catholic,but shortly before her Death she told me about the Old religion. It was much later in my life,when I began exploring paganism that I thought to explore what my Grandmother said to me. I think,looking back that she saw something in me that would make me receptive to the old ways.

I have found that the internet has a LOT of misinformation on the subject,but there are some with interesting insights.

This site covers a lot,but with all things internet related,a pinch of salt might be in order.

Pour acheter des appareils sur internet ça nécessite un grand nombre de recherche, car chaque type de produit de consommation est unique et les
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X