This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where did you start your path?

Hopefully I won't say something to offend someone!

1. When did you first 'discover' paganism?
    2. Did you read a book, or meet someone that told you about it? 3. How long did it take you to figure out that 'this' was what you were looking for?
    4. Do you still follow the same tradition?
    5. How have your beliefs changed?
    6. What is the dumbest newbie thing you did or thought?
    peace,
    Brian (njsquarebear)

Comment

I was born into a family that have been nothing but Dievturi (Baltic pagan) throughout our whole bloodline and history. However, like all good rebellious teenagers (many years ago for me), I wanted to go against my upbringing and I became a Christian. I can tell you that short lived and disturbing, but it gave me the realization how lucky I was to have the family I have.
      My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

I think my path toward paganism started the moment I was plunked into a Christian school as a five-year-old. I never once connected with the faith everyone else seemed so loyal to. In fact, I spent most of my childhood thinking there was something wrong with me because I didn't have this magical personal relationship with God and not much about Christianity ever made sense to me.

I always had an interest in witchcraft, but being raised in a Christian household, I didn't dare look too deeply into it. It wasn't until my late teens that I started researching paganism. One day, something just clicked and I knew it was where I was supposed to be. My beliefs since then have definitely expanded and evolved, which will probably always be the case. That's what paganism is all about in my opinion.

Comment

I started my path with curiosity and reading. Now I develop my path with practical magic.

Comment

I too started my path with reading, etc.
            Now I still read and study as much as I can, but I dabble in spell work here and there and attend circles when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              When did you first *discover* paganism?
              Did you read a book, or meet someone that told you about it?
              How long did it take you to figure out that *this* (whatever the heck that *this* was for you) was what you were looking for?
              Do you still follow the same tradition?
              How have your beliefs changed?
              What (in your estimation) is the dumbest newbie thing you did or thought?
              1. I've always known about "Pagan" religions and beliefs but it wasn't until about a couple of months ago that I actively decided to pursue it as a spiritual path.

2. Not really. I knew Paganism ever since I was in church but it was very different from how I see it now. The Paganism I currently embrace came to me suddenly, no books or people told me about it, I just realized what it was and looked up some info on it.

3. It was instantaneous. An epiphany, if you will.

4. I just started following Paganism so I'm still learning a lot. I don't currently embrace any specific religion though.

5. We'd be here all night talking about how my beliefs have changed. LOL

6. I don't know.
              :^^: My Spiritual Journey blog: An Eclectic Wonderland :^^:

Comment

That is not so easy to answer for when I started it was all Occultism or Folk Lore practices. It really wasn't until the mid to late 1980's that I even started to see "Paganism" appear as a category of things.

My first discovery of Occultish things was was when I was in my early teens or just before that. At that time you read about the gods / goddesses, got hooked on any book that dealt with "Paranormal" or "Unexplained things" and spent hours reading, researching and having teachers / guides come and go through out your life.

Both actually to some degree. My grandfather taught me to hold a dowsing rod and find water, my grand-mother and aunts things about the earth magics and folk magics. Hundreds of lessons and things taught to us via stories, games, even construction projects. In my mid teens an elderly Italian lady who sort of adopted me and taught me about what can only be described as a folkish Stregian practice her family did.

But as I said none of it even spoken of as Paganism.

How long did it take you to figure out that *this* (whatever the heck that *this* was for you) was what you were looking for?
                Who says I have. he he he According to my family it was there since day one. It was there when I pushed my fingers into the earth and made things grow. It was there the first time I saw something in the shadows or heard voices call my name. It was really there when that deer stepped in front of me on that mountain trail in the Blue Ridge Mountains and told me "I am Artemis and you are mine!"

Nope. I have a lot of elements or aspects of it as it was the foundation of my development and beliefs.

I can't say it's changed as much as evolved. There was always a lot of shamanic / green witchcraft in my upbringing which remains today though it has moved from the realm of adolescent understanding to that of an adult as have the terms and descriptions I use to describe it. It has broadened my world view considering I spent 23 years in the Navy and traveled about the world experiencing a lot of things first hand or mystical experiences at places I had only read about before.

The military allowed me to experience many aspects of Hellenic geography and sail on many of the ancient seas and such. To pull into places or see them from the rails of the ship that brought many of the tales and stories to life in a new way. Even having Artemis speak to me a couple of times when I pondered purchasing a statuary piece that I equated to her and the thing said Artemis only to have her leave no doubt that it was not her but "That Roman Diana!" both at Rhodes and Corfu / Korfu.

Collect women's menstrual blood for a Satanic based curse without really understanding the why of it or how it would or should have worked.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I first stumbled upon paganism when i decided to leave christianity and was researching other religions. The first thing i found was Asatru, which i soon came to realize was the practice of my ancestors. The more i learned about it the more "right" it felt in my blood (the feeling is somewhat hard to explain).

I still follow this, although I haven't been it really very long at all. Still time to change, but I have a suspicion I'll always call the gods my kinsmen.

I haven't really changed in my beliefs because I'm still learning (see my post about norse rituals lol).

The dumbest newbie thing I did was drink the blood of a deer I killed thinking this was somehow a Norse ritual that would give me strength, don't ask where I got that notion, I've never actually read anything that supports that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post
                    .. The dumbest newbie thing I did was drink the blood of a deer I killed thinking this was somehow a Norse ritual that would give me strength, don't ask where I got that notion, I've never actually read anything that supports that.
                    I have heard of drinking blood as part of the joining with ones spirit with the Berserkers, but that was usually Wolf or Bear as they also wore the pelt or skin into battle and many times little else. From a shamanic perspective drinking the blood of a kill was one way to join with the greater spirit of the animal and honor it and journey with its spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      I have heard of drinking blood as part of the joining with ones spirit with the Berserkers, but that was usually Wolf or Bear as they also wore the pelt or skin into battle and many times little else. From a shamanic perspective drinking the blood of a kill was one way to join with the greater spirit of the animal and honor it and journey with its spirit.
                      really? hm... perhaps i should have skinned it then... although I doubt a deer would be very intimidating, but that is very interesting. I'll have to look into this shamanic perspective, I rather like that that idea

Comment

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post
                        really? hm... perhaps i should have skinned it then... although I doubt a deer would be very intimidating, but that is very interesting. I'll have to look into this shamanic perspective, I rather like that that idea
                        Somewhat similar to the Berserker dressing up is the Regalia of the Shaman. It's usually an outfit that is created by the shaman and composed of animal skins, feathers, bones, odds and ends that the Shaman keeps. Many will also include a skull cap or head dress that might be the animals skull and horns or some other similar type thing. Some also will say it is used in shape shifting or shift shaping as a magical garment that allows the practitioner to take the physical form or the mental & spiritual form of the animal as a guide and / or totem.

Comment

When I first started studying it, the first thing I tried to think of is how did I end up HERE on this path. I was brought up irreligious, but most of my family members are Christian, but I've never been pressured to read the Bible or go to Sunday school, or church (unless it was a funeral), my mom was pretty open minded about Pagan concepts but never really brought up the subject until AFTER I started focusing on my Pagan path. The truth is I discovered Paganism after experiencing bullying at school- this was about 3rd grade. I had a few "friends" of mine that were suddenly getting into Witchcraft, they brought Silver Ravenwolf books to school, planned to adopt a litter of black cats, started to wear black, got "Charmed" lessons, until they started bullying me again, kicked me out of their group, but wanted to use me as their "black magic guinea pig", and they praised themselves with the credit of causing me to nearly break my nose trying to walk up a flight of concrete steps. I guess it was Paganism that stopped me from ending my life a few years later when I couldnt take anymore times getting beat up, chased home, having rocks thrown at me, being set up for trouble, money stolen- and prayed to a Goddess, because for some reason I was pretty convinced that God was Female. Not too long after that we had a financial crisis after Sept 11th and we moved to the suburbs. Things kinda fell into place, as unfortunate as the situation was.

The only book I encountered at the time was Silver Ravenwolf's books, but never really got to read them because according to my "friends" it was the secret book of shadows and I wasn't worthy of reading it.

It didn't take me too long, the moment I felt at peace and everything had gone away and that I could freely live and be myself, have friends, and have the courage to date someone, I knew at least at that moment, it felt right.

Technically yes, technically no, because when I first started I did consider myself "Wiccan", though now I feel those were my beginner days, and adhering to the bookshelf-accessible Wicca (so to speak) is limiting though it got the ball rolling to my overall concept of Paganism, eclecticism with a Celtic flavor, literature, folklore, language, etc.

For one, I don't use the Wiccan Rede at all anymore, I feel its completely null to the deities I currently honor. I've learned to find materials and elements from virtually anywhere, and I've learned that it's best to not keep Christianity as an enemy, while I've taken time out to learn the values of various Christian denominations, I do my best to share my ideas and beliefs with others. Honestly, I believe in trying to make the world a better place by stripping away all the superficial values and just building something beneficial from the core of things.

Dumbest newbie thing- goodness, probably the whole fiasco with an ex of mine that went on over the span of a few years. Unfortunately the girl had a damaged childhood, and I didn't realize to what extent, until I got punched in the face and slammed against the bathtub and the next thing I knew I was chasing this girl trying to stop her from killing her own ex because of "demonic posession". I can say I did learn a lot of things though, but the whole situation itself is a blur to me these days. It's like it happened 50 years ago and I lost half my memory, thats how much of a blur it is. A total delusion, like everything that happened was never real.

Comment

I have many friends that practice. Most I had no idea till I explored it ahah they keep to themselves.

my best friend has practiced for over 5 years and another for 15+. They have taken me under their wing and helped me so many answers that being atheist did not answer. Like entities ect. It seemed natural to me.

Comment

When I was a kid I adored witches and trees, collected rocks and spent all of my spare time in the woods near my house. The first time I heard the word 'Pagan' was in primary school, when someone told me it meant atheist. I must have learned otherwise over the years, because by the time I met some Pagans, I knew better, and was fascinated by their beliefs. I didn't want to step on their toes though, so I didn't pursue my interest until we drifted apart and my son was born.

After some months of reading, I thought that it was right for me, although I wasn't sure what path. I started with solitary Wicca, but that wasn't quite right. I've been interested in pantheism, but that's not right for me either - I'm not an atheist, as so many pantheists seem to be, and I do practice magic. I was feeling very disconnected at the time.

Goddess worship has always run through my beliefs, I see the divine as female (encompassing maleness). Turns out I'm quite happy with that.

Comment

When I was a child my spirit guide, Wolfbane came to me. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I truly started studying Wicca through books. Before that I was Catholic, but I never felt like that was the religion for me. It was my parents religion. So I felt drawn to Wicca and it felt right to me.
                                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                                X