Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think its right to charge to teach about neopaganism?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you think its right to charge to teach about neopaganism?

IMHO - if I have something (or I can make you believe I have something non-material) that you want, why wouldn't I charge for it, assuming I wanted to?

You don't expect to drive up to the window at McWendy's and get a free burger just because it's nice for somebody to be helping you get what you want, and what with food being so important to your survival and all - far more important than your "spiritual development"...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Comment

A lot of time, the reason psychic/spiritual workers ask for a donation instead of 'charging a fee' is because it's illegal to sell their services in their area. A lot of business/taxation bureaus automatically assume any psychic/spiritual work to be fraudulent, so if you're caught asking direct amounts for services, you can be harassed, ticketed, fined or even arrested. Even asking for a donation can be hazardous unless you're able to prove that you are working with a non-profit or not-for-profit organization (i.e., a church). The process for getting a business license to provide such services can be daunting and expensive to obtain and maintain in areas where you are covered under taxable businesses, too.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I personally don't think it's wrong to charge money for anything Pagan or spiritual based, such as: Tarot classes, meditation courses, spiritual coaching, religious studies, craft workshops, etc. Especially if someone is honest and has made it their life's work, or if you use up their time, advice, books, etc. I don't believe we're at a time where sages and philosophers can just walk around barefoot and penniless on the streets. Of course, it is up to the individual to make sure they do their research (and use common sense) to not fall for scams.

Comment

I think it's okay providing that the teacher is well educated on the subjects at hand (which I would expect out of a teacher regarding ANY subject whether it's on Math, English, or otherwise.
            My reasoning is that it can take quite a bit of time, effort, and sometimes money to put together a course that's informative and captures the attention of the teacher's students (although I would hope that getting the attention wouldn't be an issue if someone was seeking and paying for a service such as this.)
            The teacher provides valuable information which can be based on personal experience, personal observation and the information they they have learned from others.
            It's up to the teacher whether they would charge or not, but if that's all they're doing, then they would need some sort of funding to provide for their personal needs and the well being of their family (if they live with more than themselves).
            It's wonderful when someone has the time to pass on life lessons, but it's also a nice thing to be able to receive something such as money for what they are providing for their community. o:

Comment

Comment

A lot of what is taught in RE and history classes could well come under the heading of wacky ideas. Knowledge is always changing and what is taught to one generation may be reversed in the next.

Sometimes what seems like waffle or a wacky idea to one person could make perfect sense, and even be checkable to another. There is nothing wrong with putting new ideas or techniques out there - provided you are honest with yourself and with others. So we do have to be careful not to generalise here.

And some people do want something for nothing. Some people steal from the collection plate too.

But I think Moody Thursday hit the nail on the head with the comment that it is really up to the individual to check-out what they are buying into.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  A lot of what is taught in RE and history classes could well come under the heading of wacky ideas.
                  I'm well aware but if you stick to teaching facts (such as who said what) that can be checked up on, then there is some accountability. If you just charge people for listening to your ideas that's kind of wrong. Now one thing I will say is that it's different if someone approaches you asking you to speak on a topic because then they want your ideas (they've probably already read your book or something) and they're not going into the arangement blind.

I think it's always ok to charge expenses as long as they're reasonable. Bus fare to the venue rather than limo hire fare for example.

Comment

So with the book you mentioned that you are writing (on another thread here) - will you be giving that away for free? Or at a knock down price?

It's all so simple until we actually try these things. Even on the subject of getting a bus to a venue - great if it's local, not so clever if it isn't. Then you might need somewhere to stay overnight. Or if you can't use public transport (disability issues, maybe?) I don't actually know of anyone who has ever tried to claim for limo hire.... but what about car hire? Sometimes it's cheaper to drive than to catch endless trains and buses especially if the venue is in an out of the way area... and then what if you can drive but don't have a car? A modest car, maybe? And if you need one that can accommodate a wheelchair?

I'm not picking holes, just pointing out - as I have done throughout this thread - that it's rarely ever as simply as it seems. On the face of it yes - in practice less so.
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Yes I would charge for a book but people can get a better idea of what they are buying with a book before they buy it. I suppose if someone builds up a reputation for teaching or whatever and there are like reviews about them then they could charge some money. Maybe the trick is doing it for free for like the first year.

Bus Vs Limo was just an example of reasonable examples vs unreasonable. I think charging for petrol if you drive there would be perfectly reasonable. Car hire is probably pushing it but it depends on a number of factors.

- - - Updated - - -

Also with a book you have to pay the publishers and the distriputers and presumably the publisher has faith in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post

Also with a book you have to pay the publishers and the distriputers and presumably the publisher has faith in the book.
                        Yes and no. Some publishers give you an advance and then they take the earnings from the sales, not from your pocket.

Last edited by Caelia; 04 Nov 2012, 09:00.
                        my etsy store
                        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                        surrounded by plush, downy things,
                        ill prepared, but willing,
                        to descend."

Comment

No I meant the book has to pay the publishers so you can't just give it away for free even if you wanted to. Unless you just publish it online or you're made of money.

Comment

No I meant the book has to pay the publishers so you can't just give it away for free even if you wanted to. Unless you just publish it online or you're made of money.

Again, not so fast. They take percentages from even advances. They also, if you read the other link, will hold off on some sales because they don't have as much faith in your book as you think. Even e-publishing does stuff like this. Lulu will still take percentages and not send you your money unless you make a certain amount. You don't have to be independently wealthy either. It's just how the industry works.
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

to descend."

Comment

The exact workings of the publishing industry are not relevant to this debate.

Comment

The exact workings of the publishing industry are not relevant to this debate.
                                Then why bother with it in the first place? You know it's quite relevant is why. The point I was making is that they don't wait around for you to make a sale. They want their money now and that's for the reasons Tyullan said.
                                my etsy store
                                My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                                X