Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biggest pet peeve about your faith?

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Okay...I have to go here because I agree and disagree... I hate the "you are not a Pagan because you do X" or "you are not a Pagan because you do X" or "All Pagans need to do X to be Pagan" discussions.

BUT, I do thing there needs to be some discussion about what defines Paganism, as a family of interrelated religious traditions. And I think, to do that, we should start with the community that already exists. There's just as much in common there as there is in the 38,000 Christian traditions--bitching about who does/does not pass the (implied) Pagan test makes us no better than Baptists bitching about Catholics "not really being Christian". I think that, if we want to sit at the big kids table with other religions and be taken seriously (and we need that, if we want to be open about our beliefs and now worry about discrimination), that we need to be able to define what we are, as something other than what we are not...and if it only "covers" 95% of the people that claim Paganism as their faith, then that's okay too because its not a creedal test, and they are still welcome to share the umbrella.
    Exactly my point too!
    ~ flowers are our only garments
    only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

I deeply agree with the above. To link with the topic, something I forgot to mention is people not taking my faith seriously (while they take my catholic friends seriously) and waving my faith away as some kind of fad or rebellion. They seem to think that because there is no clergy, no clear dogma and no "defined" symbol common to all pagans, it's not a real thing. Our different faiths may not be considered as a religion (i.e. an organised faith with a more or less clear dogma, clergy, specific symbols and rules), it's still important for every one of us, just as God or Allah may be important to others. Through his manifestation in my life, Odin saved me. Through Him I found courage, and happiness, and beauty to fight despair, pain and darkness.

We do need to be able to define what we are. But how, when or where we pray does not define us; it's just ticking off a list of what we are not.
      "The idea is to be whispering, and not to gain the attention from the flock, but to get attention from the individuals. That's why I relate it to whispering. It's not something you can put on a big scale; you can't get sheep to attend to it. You need to have people who can stand for themselves. It is important to have a lot of space for yourself to be able to grow strong branches, which can stand in the most extreme surroundings."

Gaahl

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
        I'm struggling with this because I really can't decide if I agree with what you are saying or not. On the one hand I see the value in what your saying, on the other hand I have serious misgivings about it. I need to give this a bit more thought I think, and this thread is probably not the place to have the conversation.
        This exact discussion comes up every time someone pops in & starts a 'Defining Paganism' or 'What is a Pagan?' thread.

I've only been here a few years, and I've seen that discussion resurface so many times that I don't even read them any more. It's too much like defining insanity - doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results each time.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Those threads are almosr constant enough to be a tradition.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I've got a couple :grin:

1. Exclusivity. Fundamentally, you're either a Christian and going to Heaven, or you're not. I think at first and in a small world, the exclusivity might have made some feel special and chosen. But what do you do when your world gets larger and you meet people who have deep faith that enhances appreciation for life and brings meaning to the day-to-day? You can't keep saying those people do not know what it means to experience and live alongside the divine. *Editted in: Also, I want to add with this: There is so much to be learned from other faiths about the expression of the divine. As a christian, I believe God is in all things and that all creation is an exprression of Him. Through Him, I'm connected to everything living around me. I do believe that Christians have a lot to learn from Pagans regarding the personality of the divine revealed through nature. Since being on this forum, I've loved listening to others and being exposed to new ideas. It's helped me to think critically about my own faith and to see God in new ways. So thanks!*

2. Discrimination against women and homosexuals. It's ok with me if homosexuality is a sin, but I think the major challenge for the church will be what to do with people who have a genuine faith but are also homosexual. Jennifer Knapp is a shining example of this. There is no doubt that the lady has/had a dynamic, firm and deep faith in Christ. Where would her place be in my church? This lady with an incredible gift for musicianship and poetry who is a minister of the Gospel. Christ did not throw her away and neither should my church.

The Pauline idea of women always being subservient to men in whatever circumstance within church (1 Timothy 2:12) does not fit with what we read in the four Gospels. Jesus taught that whoever wants to be the greatest should aim to be the servant (Mark 9:35, Matthew 20:26). If men are always the ones to give the orders, where is their chance to be the servant? Jesus was propheticly annointed for burial by a woman (Matthew 26:6-10). If that woman is good enough to minister to Jesus, I'm happy to have her minister to me. According to the gospels, women were the first to receive signs of the Resurrection and were honored with the task of being the first to deliver the Good News (Matthew 28:7). I believe this was designed to challenge the belief that a woman's testimony could not be trusted. I feel Jesus was handing women their place as equals among men. Jesus - the first Christian feminist. Pretty amusing.

I know not many of you will read the references, but they are just there so you know that I'm not speaking from perception of collective Christian stories or general word-of-mouth beliefs, but from what's written in the Christian's text book.
            Last edited by Azvanna; 20 Jan 2013, 18:51.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
              This exact discussion comes up every time someone pops in & starts a 'Defining Paganism' or 'What is a Pagan?' thread.

I've only been here a few years, and I've seen that discussion resurface so many times that I don't even read them any more. It's too much like defining insanity - doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results each time.
              I've seen them to and have no intention of starting another one.

Another pet peeve, too many 101 books all repeating the same thing. It would be nice to have a bit more variety.
              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post

I don't even have full year under my belt, and I have seen too many with angry arguments. For someone's religion I am just not all that inclined to care about who is or who isn't. I know that for political and social reasons a definition would be good, and even useful, but I don't want to define someone who does or doesn't want to be defined as something. But eh, it is what it is, and if it gives people something to argue about so they don't notice that I will eventually be taking over the world, all for the better...
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                  I don't even have full year under my belt, and I have seen too many with angry arguments. For someone's religion I am just not all that inclined to care about who is or who isn't. I know that for political and social reasons a definition would be good, and even useful, but I don't want to define someone who does or doesn't want to be defined as something. But eh, it is what it is, and if it gives people something to argue about so they don't notice that I will eventually be taking over the world, all for the better...
                  *sticks head out of sanity vault*

Earth is behind on its sanity payments. I'd wait to conquer till after the planet has paid its debts. Otherwise you're stuck with the bills.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I feel quite blessed in the fact very few people know what a Dievturi is so when people ask my path/faith/religion and I answer they just nod politely and carry on. :angel:
                    My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

I really don't like the term "neopagan". Paganism has always been around, and it's evolved to accommodate the modern world just like any other faith. Ignorant people annoy me, too. The ones who assume Paganism is devil-worship and don't want to believe otherwise. You just can't reason with some people. :/

Comment

My biggest "peeve" doesn't come from how others perceive my religion but how other alleged followers of my religion present themselves. It seems as though Satanists, Theistic or Atheistic, often feel the need to swear and to swear often in order appear "formidable" - I personally find it redundant and insulting to the intellectual capacity of Satanists as a whole. It seems to perpetuate the notion that they have "something to prove" through intimidation tactics - and that then often casts a suspicious light on anyone who then calls themselves a Satanist.

Comment

I do not like people thinking that I worship the devil. I also dislike when people think I will not accept their religion. I accept all.

Comment

When my friends say, Haha your joking! oh wait, your not????, and also, when people think that the movie "Thor" is an accurate representation of my beliefs.....

Comment

Those that believe my personal faith is a group thing. Like I just mindlessly followed a mob into an attractively deviant subculture.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I guess my pet peeve isn't really about my religion, because I'm an atheist, but it is a peeve none the less.

I can't stand atheists who brutally bash religion. I don't mind theists, actually I am very fond of many theists! What I don't like about religion often has nothing to do with the individual believer and much more to do with the masses and that is what many people get so drastically wrong! An individual believing is 9/10 times not an issue in the grand scheme of things. Trying to suggest that everyone who is religious is misguided, wrong or (worse) dangerous is so close minded! I see it all the time- especially on youtube. x
                                "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Working...
                                X