Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biggest pet peeve about your faith?

Originally posted by Starless View Post
    I really don't like the term "neopagan". Paganism has always been around, and it's evolved to accommodate the modern world just like any other faith.
    Both yes and no. "Paganism" is a very broad term that can cover a lot of different religious expressions. I tend to go with the definition of it being framed around nature veneration, in which case yes it is very accommodating and has been adapted to many formal religions.
    Thing is, Neopaganism is a specific thing. It is a specific religious/spiritual/cultural/social movement. It's not a catch-all for paganism as a whole, and I don't think anyone uses it as such. It's a particular way to handle pagan thought and practice that seeks a revival in the face of Modernity.

Comment

I know I've posted in here before, I've got a new peeve: pagans and their preconceived notions about how the world/gods/worship/etc should be and are unwilling to hear/learn anything else. The attitude often results in attacks (meant or not) that engage in whatever the person has decide is wrong/bad/harmful.
      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Not many really. Other than some times people fail to understand certain practices and concepts within their own context or mistake the historicity thereof. Also people who continually mistake the nature of deities. They're all positive forces, you just don't necessarily understand how. Even the most terrifying are not wicked.

Comment

Not a major peeve but those who elevate fantasy or make believe characters to the status of god / goddess. While I do not deny them their right to do so it sure as heck creates problems for others when ones beliefs are seen as childish because of them. Some try to defend it under chaos theory and such, some against the usage of an egregore that was created for them, others simply because they love My Little Pony or such. But it to me simply serves to suggest the pagan umbrella is still nothing but teens revolting against something.

As the old adds said .. You've come a long way baby to get where you've gotten today.. we've collectively gone from Satanist and Devil worshippers to gamers / fantasy players in some RPG. Funny I've been able to defend or present a logical argument for nearly anything over the years but raising your favorite cartoon / media character to a god / goddess status I can't successfully argue.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            Not a major peeve but those who elevate fantasy or make believe characters to the status of god / goddess. While I do not deny them their right to do so it sure as heck creates problems for others when ones beliefs are seen as childish because of them. Some try to defend it under chaos theory and such, some against the usage of an egregore that was created for them, others simply because they love My Little Pony or such. But it to me simply serves to suggest the pagan umbrella is still nothing but teens revolting against something.

As the old adds said .. You've come a long way baby to get where you've gotten today.. we've collectively gone from Satanist and Devil worshippers to gamers / fantasy players in some RPG. Funny I've been able to defend or present a logical argument for nearly anything over the years but raising your favorite cartoon / media character to a god / goddess status I can't successfully argue.
            I've been trying to figure out my feelings on this topic for a long time. I find it all pretty confusing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my biggest pet Peeves are when
            1. People assume every Christian is identical and we all believe the same narrow minded dogma.
            and
            2. I make a case for Christianity being awesome and better than people think, and then someone I know turns right around and shows off exactly why people get that impression *sigh*.
            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
              I've been trying to figure out my feelings on this topic for a long time. I find it all pretty confusing.
              We've had the convo quite a few times around here.

Honestly, the only difference I see between worshipping an ancient god and a modern one is time.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                We've had the convo quite a few times around here.
                I participated once, and sided pretty hard with the pop-culture pagans, but I've thought about some other things since then that make me uncomfortable, but I'm not sure if those things are legitimate or me just being an unaccepting jerk. Its confusing.

Comment

I participated once, and sided pretty hard with the pop-culture pagans, but I've thought about some other things since then that make me uncomfortable, but I'm not sure if those things are legitimate or me just being an unaccepting jerk. Its confusing.
                  Heck, I worship a deity as it arises from a fictional story (though she's based on a historical deity), and I think some of those people are coocoo.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

When people tell me that my faith isn't real because it involves a fictional character or that they've never heard of it. (You know who you are, Aunt Terry):slap::rage::shakefist::frustrated::reallypi ssed:

Comment

I'm thinking I might need to blog a few of these peeves of mine.

Peeve: People who have decided wishful thinking is enough to make whatever reality they want happen, and then get their panties in a twist when someone else has a different experience and/or their claims are challenged.
                      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                        My biggest "peeve" doesn't come from how others perceive my religion but how other alleged followers of my religion present themselves. It seems as though Satanists, Theistic or Atheistic, often feel the need to swear and to swear often in order appear "formidable" - I personally find it redundant and insulting to the intellectual capacity of Satanists as a whole. It seems to perpetuate the notion that they have "something to prove" through intimidation tactics - and that then often casts a suspicious light on anyone who then calls themselves a Satanist.
                        Oh look! Another satanist! Hi!

I discovered something new: Superficial information is WORSE than no information on a subject at all.

I tell someone I'm a Satanist and they go "Omg devil worshipper, vade retro!" if they have no knowledge at all on the subject.

But if the person has a really superficial knowledge they go: "Oh, so you're an atheist following LaVey's philosophy etc." And I clarify with "Nope, not that kind. I'm actually theistic. A polytheist, actually" and they reply "Omg devil worshipper, vade retro!".

Yeah, go away, I'm going to summon the devil and brutally murder you. Run.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                          Oh look! Another satanist! Hi!

I discovered something new: Superficial information is WORSE than no information on a subject at all.

I tell someone I'm a Satanist and they go "Omg devil worshipper, vade retro!" if they have no knowledge at all on the subject.

But if the person has a really superficial knowledge they go: "Oh, so you're an atheist following LaVey's philosophy etc." And I clarify with "Nope, not that kind. I'm actually theistic. A polytheist, actually" and they reply "Omg devil worshipper, vade retro!".

Yeah, go away, I'm going to summon the devil and brutally murder you. Run.
                          I don't get along with Satan, at all, but I'm not entirely certain how treating you like crap or making broad assumptions is supposed to make anything else seem appealing to you :P.

Maybe that's just me....

Anyways I had to google Vade retro, I'd never heard that said before. I've heard it said in english, but never Latin.

- - - Updated - - -

(also, what is with the weird duality of people who go:

"The devil has no power!"
                          and then say
                          "the devil has power over you!"

and I'm just like... what?)

Comment

I don't get along with Satan, at all, but I'm not entirely certain how treating you like crap or making broad assumptions is supposed to make anything else seem appealing to you :P.
                            I don't get this sentence, could you clarify? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                              I don't get this sentence, could you clarify? Lol.
                              Sorry XD. I meant that I don't get how when people find out you are a satanist, going "AHHHHH SATANIST!" or making ill researched or thought out remarks is supposed to do any good? Like... Is that supposed to make you not want to be a Satanist or something? Because if people were going "ooooh Jesus! Step away from me! Scary!" I'd probably buckle down.

It just seems... Like a dumb strategy in talking to people or making them comfortable with you or interested in what you had to say?

Comment

Oh, no not at all. I was just pointing out that when people assume you're something you're not just because they're misinformed seems a lot worse than instant rejection. Since they give out that "I totally know about this stuff" kinda attitude.

Comment

Working...
                                X