Pagan Expansionism!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Expansionism!

Hmmmm ok so my take on this, why does having temple's mean that we have to (as individuals from multiple paths) have to be organised. i mean there are plenty of Pagan Organisations already out there that are directed at equal rights and informing people of what this and that really is and so on, the pagan federation, and the Order of bards, ovates and druids for example. so if there were enough people that actually wanted temples could we not just have these organisations set up an independant temple(s) in an area (area depends on the number of people these organisations know about in the area that would go to it) and just have alters for multiple gods, they could be like the patheon in rome, statues of all the gods on a specifc patheon or a mix of different ones, or maybe the temple its self could just be one small shine dedicated to a single or pair of gods. and the organisations run these temples them selves they can ask for donations of everyone that enters or visits (to help the running costs) they could even use a room or rooms in the temples as offices for the organisation to help cut down on costs. so no one path pushing its ethic or practises onto another and temples and easily accessable to the public and pagan curious individuals.

also for the whole converting people NO, NO, NO NO NO, NO NO, NO! people need to find their own way, still a few leaflets in the temples wouldn't be overly obnoxious ("so you want to be pagan")

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
      Hmmmm ok so my take on this, why does having temple's mean that we have to (as individuals from multiple paths) have to be organised. i mean there are plenty of Pagan Organisations already out there that are directed at equal rights and informing people of what this and that really is and so on, the pagan federation, and the Order of bards, ovates and druids for example. so if there were enough people that actually wanted temples could we not just have these organisations set up an independant temple(s) in an area (area depends on the number of people these organisations know about in the area that would go to it) and just have alters for multiple gods, they could be like the patheon in rome, statues of all the gods on a specifc patheon or a mix of different ones, or maybe the temple its self could just be one small shine dedicated to a single or pair of gods. and the organisations run these temples them selves they can ask for donations of everyone that enters or visits (to help the running costs) they could even use a room or rooms in the temples as offices for the organisation to help cut down on costs. so no one path pushing its ethic or practises onto another and temples and easily accessable to the public and pagan curious individuals.

also for the whole converting people NO, NO, NO NO NO, NO NO, NO! people need to find their own way, still a few leaflets in the temples wouldn't be overly obnoxious ("so you want to be pagan")
      "Maybe you should stop by the temple sometime, see how you like it..."
      I'm not sure the two things wouldn't go hand in hand unintentionally.
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
        "Maybe you should stop by the temple sometime, see how you like it..."
        I'm not sure the two things wouldn't go hand in hand unintentionally.
        See that sounds ok, i dunno just when you say converting people i get flashbacks to my misspent youth as a jehova's witness walking around knocking on doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
          See that sounds ok, i dunno just when you say converting people i get flashbacks to my misspent youth as a jehova's witness walking around knocking on doors.
          Ah yes, gotcha... My experience is far different then yours. I've had some... Creepy conversion attempts myself. But from my own experience the only luck I've ever had was totally unintentional and involved not being a jerk to people, and them kind of slowly acclimating to the idea of Christianity without me doing anything XD. If I was going to convert somebody, I don't even know how I'd go about it.... So I'm probably not the best person to talk about that. I really have no experience with it personally.

The most common and simple line I've heard was "hey, you should come by our church some time, I think you'd really like it." which I've heard many many times, and usually fairly politely.

Comment

I recall reading something about a town in Pennsylvania, albeit a small one, that was predominantly settled by pagans of various types.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
              I recall reading something about a town in Pennsylvania, albeit a small one, that was predominantly settled by pagans of various types.
              Really? Any chance you might rustle more info about that up?

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                So how do you feel about the idea of converting people, or establishing a place like a temple, or an organized group? Is that something you wish would happen, or an idea you deplore? Why?
                Proselytising? No. That goes against the largely relativist point of view espoused by most neopagans and other revivalists. Some sects aside, we're mostly pluralistic as a religious community.
                Establishing religious institutions, temples, and organisations? Sure. There have been some loose ones in the past, in regards to eclectic forms of neopaganism. Like the Covenant of the Goddess, the Pagan Federation, Circle Sanctuary, or the Church of All Worlds. Though they are mostly built for cooperation between existing groups, rather than forming a monolithic group.
                Overall, I think it depends on the religion in question. Neopaganism is a broad tent. Wicca, for example, would not function well with a tight hierarchical organisation. Its ethos is diametrically opposed to big structures, dogma, and institutionalised hierarchy.
                But things like Hellenism? Or Roman Reconstructionism? Their ethos could fit well in more structured organisations, with public rituals and temples. Specifically because they are attempting the reconstruct the folk religions of the ancient world, which did include such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
                  I have no interest in converting people, but a multi-faith temple as meeting place for people and an accessible ritual space is a dream of mine. I think it would be a good thing for the community, helping to make it more approachable for pagans and those that are pagan curious.

I like this idea too...particularly on a piece of land, where different local groups could (following a common set of guidelines) develop their own temple spaces (in or outdoors), along with a common area for meetings and gatherings, and camping access, etc. Or, perhaps in an old building somewhere... I think something with smaller meeting rooms (maybe one of them like a cooking class kitchen) for classes, a larger meeting room for indoor rituals or group/community functions, an outdoor space for meditation and gardening, a library with reading rooms, etc would be cool. Maybe there could be spaces for people or groups to "sponsor" shrines to particular deities...or groups could "adopt" particular spaces to be set aside for their ritual use.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    I like this idea too...particularly on a piece of land
                    Absolutely.

In my mind a physical structure is the fall back with the weather isn't conducive to an outdoor ritual (though something like a circle of standings stones as well as flied and a tree grove would be nice as well!). But I would also like the "temple space" to house a library, a meeting room, a kitchen and a care-taker's suite.

And I'd like it to be on the outskirts of town but not right out of town. Too far and it quickly becomes inaccessible. I'm lucky though, in my area you don't have to go far to find greenery.

Everyone having their own temple...that I'm not so sure about. A) it's a space consideration and B) the point of the temple would be multi-faith, a place where a wide variety of people are welcome. That's hard to do when people start hiving off into their own little religious cliques.
                    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                    X