This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What drew you to your pantheon?

Well I've been interested in all things Egyptian since I first heard of Cleopatra and all the "neat" stuff that went with ancient egypt. However, one night I was meditating asking for the name of the Goddess I felt near me, I desperatly wanted a name for the Goddess and "Athirat but you can call me Asherah" comes to mind. Instantly I started googling- thus how I found the Cannanite Goddess Asherah.

Comment

Folks on here watched me struggle back and forth with my birth faith for years...when I finally decided I was done, Frey came into my life like he'd been waiting in the wings. I don't even deal with him that often at the moment, but he and Gerd were the welcoming committee as soon as I allowed for the possibility of something else. None of the norse gods seem to care if I take them literally or not, too, which is rather nice.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I had always been interested in everything Egyptian. I remember being fascinated by the culture and their deities. Eventually I felt a calling towards them. I also feel drawn to the Celtic and Norse pantheons.
        -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

Well, one of the things was my desire to become a better person, and Kemetism has appeared to be ideal for me.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I'm not sure. I've always had more interest in greek mythos than any other kind. I loved the Gods and Goddesses. I found them so interesting. and their stories were amazing. I tried to get more into the roman pantheon, because I'm italian, but they just didn't click with me the same way. neither did my attempt at catholicism

Comment

I had been walking several paths for a while, tried various flavours of paganism.
              All around me I saw people worshiping and appealing to pantheons/deities/spirits from other regions, often with little respect for the cultures they originated from, and little respect for any real written lore..

I had always had a good understanding of UK history, and used this to help me learn more about the gods of my ancestors, and the areas I lived in.
              Living in a rural area then I think gave me a better understanding of how the people lived with those pantheons on a personal level.
              An understanding helped when people around me were still making sacrifices out of "tradition" to the various spirits of the land when planting crops and harvesting them.

Comment

Anubis drew me to the Egyptian pantheon. At first I was mostly interested in the Celtic and Norse pantheons and mythologies, but when Anubis came in my life things changed completely for me.
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

The Egyptian pantheon I feel drawn to the most. It was like that since I was a kid. I am drawn to others, like the Celtic and Norse but I always have been mesmerized by everything and anything Egyptian.
                  -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

My mom raised me Christian, but my Great Grandma taught me a few aspects of witchcraft and healing, which I later expanded on. A cartoon show got me fascinated with the nature aspect of magick (Avatar: The Last Airbender.......yes...I know...... *facepalm*), and I sought out my Native roots to find out more about nature and animal magick, and herbal remedies and herbal magick. Eventually, one of the clans my family hails from took me in as family, and started to teach me. I also have a belief in certain Greek gods/goddesses.

^^^ Help us to hatch and grow with a click!
                    ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by gentlestorm View Post
                      My mom raised me Christian, but my Great Grandma taught me a few aspects of witchcraft and healing, which I later expanded on. A cartoon show got me fascinated with the nature aspect of magick (Avatar: The Last Airbender.......yes...I know...... *facepalm*), and I sought out my Native roots to find out more about nature and animal magick, and herbal remedies and herbal magick. Eventually, one of the clans my family hails from took me in as family, and started to teach me. I also have a belief in certain Greek gods/goddesses.
                      I love Avatar: The Last Airbender and don't think it's a facepalm-worthy source to begin with. It's nature-focused and it presents a message that encourages self-defense but discourages murder, even when that's the easiest solution to a serious problem. And, just speaking in general, I think the arts are essential to a well-rounded view of pagan spirituality. The arts are where so many of our traditions and paradigms hid until it was safe to un-Earth them again.
                      OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                      The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                      Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

When I was christian, I never really felt it made sense that one guy was doing everything, I often found myself drawn to other beliefs which got me in trouble as christians don't teach a lot of tolerance. Really my bigger "gods" (Shintoism is kinda yes and no on the existence of gods) are associated with things I feel are important or comfortable in, I hold many Norse gods, such as Skadi who I feel close to, mostly because I have always felt at home in the cold and when my friends complained they were freezing I would be warm and when I saw a picture of Skadi, she felt familiar, like I knew or know her, so she slowly got incorporated into my pantheon because I felt she herself had taken interest in me and protected me from the power of winter she brings about. Both Tenjin and Odin, one the god of Scholars the other of Wisdom, felt important to me and I felt I had been blessed by them because I had always been pretty smart, so I believe they bless me with their knowledge and wisdom.

Amaterasu, most Shintoist's I have talked to have some sort of relationship or practice involving her, she is the goddess of the sun and grandmother of Emperor Jimmu, I had always really enjoyed the idea of the Imperial family and felt they were good, the sun would brighten my days (oddly enough so did winter storms) when they were down and always seemed to shine brightest when I was in my worst moods. That is really only part of my pantheon (I recognized about 9 gods as being gods and not just kami) as to go into detail for all of them would take far to long.

On Skadi, as she is easily one of the most important in my pantheon, I have been asked why the other Norse winter god, Hodr, I really when I read stories of him and see pictures of him I did not have that same recognition or comfort as when I saw Skadi or read her stories, so really I never incorporated him because he didn't feel important to me. I think that's how most people get their pantheons, they read and learn about these many gods and goddesses and while they acknowledge others' existence, they don't give them that same feeling of joy or familiarity when they see them as opposed to their core pantheon.

Comment

Working...
                        X