This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Festivals and Gatherings...

Do you attend one regularly or sporadically? And if you do, what are your impressions and thoughts about these big events?

Re: Pagan Festivals and Gatherings...

I haven't been to one in years, but I met my husband as a Witches' Samhain ball and I've been to several. They were interesting, but I don't know that I'd bother with another one. I did used to spend camping trips with mixed groups and that was more my style vs. a festival. Usually those just seem like flea markets with a ritual.

Comment

I usually go to the Artemis Gathering in North Oxfordshire (UK) in August, and then Witchfest International in Croydon, London in November. I do talks, walks, workshops etc., and the atmosphere there is amazing.
      Mind you, I am pretty knackered at the end of it all!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I'd like to go to one, but they all seem to happen when I dont have money, or they're too far to drive to T-T
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

When I can afford to I do, but I live on an island and these large events tend to be on the mainland. So not only do I have to pay for admission and costs related to my time there, I also have to factor in ferry and gas costs.

But when I can go, I thoroughly enjoy myself (naked canon ball contests being a fave!) to the hilt. The one I like best has a variety of work shops to attend as well as rituals and are at least a three day affair where impromptu games are the norm. When I go I make sure to book a enough time off work that I have a week to recover ~_^
          "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

My city has a pagan meet up once a month. I try to attend when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Sondst View Post
              My city has a pagan meet up once a month. I try to attend when I can.
              I think the OP was meaning on a grander scale ala Burning Man and the like.

I run a monthly coffee moot in my town. And you can find public rituals and the like. But for a big, camp out event, I have to travel.
              "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

To be honest I haven't been to anything that could even remotely pass for one in years. When I did go it was to much "I am witchier than though" in dress and scope and wasn't worth the time or energy required to get there. Sadly from many of the people I've spoken to since it hasn't changed a whole lot other than more people trying to sell you something.

My own desire is to go to a Pow Wow with Native American peoples and see the dances, songs and such. The next closest thing would be some of the period places that I saw around Europe when I was stationed there that were reflective of a given age and theme.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

My wife and I often attend the yearly "Mindy, Body, Spirit" expos in our city. Unfortunately they tend to be more geared towards "New Agers" and people interested in having psychic readings than Neo-Pagans. Mostly it's a huge space occupied by aisles of stalls with everything from crystals, home-made candles, "Shamans", psychics, orgone devices to the local Church of Scientology and AMORC branch. I don't know that we have any "real" Neo-Pagan festivals that come near enough to us to warrant searching them out.

Comment

Here's a link to the recent Witchfest Internation event at Croydon, London this year:

the programme gives you an idea of the sort of stuff on offer... (you can see I was pretty busy!) Plus once the initial entrace fee was paid, absolutely every talk, workshop and concert was completely free!
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I have attended (2x) Pagan Spirit Gathering - http://www.circlesanctuary.org/index...gathering.html

I was impressed with how organized it was. It has been over 10 years since the last time I went, because I've since moved to the opposite side of the country and getting there is a challenge now. I miss it. I have thought about going every single year, since I moved. It just never came together in a way that was manageable (I only get so much time off from work).

If you live close enough, enjoy camping and being around pagans, participating in work shops and can afford going, I highly recommend it. There's something for everyone... or at least that's how I remember it. And it was very family friendly (I was a teen both times I went).
                      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                      Sneak Attack
                      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                        If you live close enough, enjoy camping and being around pagans, participating in work shops and can afford going, I highly recommend it. There's something for everyone... or at least that's how I remember it. And it was very family friendly (I was a teen both times I went).
                        If you ever visit around that time, we should totes plan to go!

Comment

I sometimes go to the Bealltainn and Samhuinn celebrations in Edinburgh, Scotland. They're not officially Pagan gatherings - the group that runs them is non-religious and aims to bring the community together with their events. There are still Pagans involved though, and lots more who attend.

I enjoy it. There's usually an atmosphere of peace and togetherness (if you can avoid the few attendees who are only there to get wasted and stare at the painted naked people).

Comment

I would like to go to one but I do not know
                            of any here in Central Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by oldhippie View Post
                              I would like to go to one but I do not know
                              of any here in Central Wisconsin
                              Here are some events in Wisconsin:

I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                              Tribe of my Tribe
                              Clan of my Clan
                              Kin of my Kin
                              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
                              X