X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spiritual / Magical Names?

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
    That's really just logic. You say you don't support it. Got it. What else is there to say? Railing against it is derailing this thread and I shall comment on your opinions no further since there is no more to say.
    General notice to everyone. Either the subject of "are magical names justified/worthwhile/a good idea/etc?" is outside the boundaries of this thread in which case:

1) asking Monsno to quit arguing the point is perfectly legitimate
    and
    2) arguing against posts that Monsno has already attempted to argue is just as much of a derail as Monsno continuing to try and make his case

or

"are magical names justified/worthwhile/a good idea/etc?" is within the boundaries of this thread and

1) Monsno has every right to ignore further suggestions that his arguement is a derail
    2) people can argue with him all they like on the issue

I don't particularly care which avenue is taken. At a prediction, the first one is better for the thread's overall odds of survival and getting Bjorn's other questions answered but either choice is valid. I require that one of the two be chosen or I will make a choice for everyone. As Bjorn is the original poster, I'm leaving the decision in her hands at the moment and I will enforce that decision once it's made.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      General notice to everyone. Either the subject of "are magical names justified/worthwhile/a good idea/etc?" is outside the boundaries of this thread in which case:

1) asking Monsno to quit arguing the point is perfectly legitimate
      and
      2) arguing against posts that Monsno has already attempted to argue is just as much of a derail as Monsno continuing to try and make his case

or

"are magical names justified/worthwhile/a good idea/etc?" is within the boundaries of this thread and

1) Monsno has every right to ignore further suggestions that his arguement is a derail
      2) people can argue with him all they like on the issue

I don't particularly care which avenue is taken. At a prediction, the first one is better for the thread's overall odds of survival and getting Bjorn's other questions answered but either choice is valid. I require that one of the two be chosen or I will make a choice for everyone. As Bjorn is the original poster, I'm leaving the decision in her hands at the moment and I will enforce that decision once it's made.
      This is not a question of whether or not they are useful/good. This was a question about, if you have adopted one, how that process came to be. Why did you choose it? Did it "choose you?" Was it cultural? Did you like it because it sounded cool or because it was significant in some way.

I am not at all interested in whether or not people think it is worthwhile, beneficial, justified, etc. I am asking those who have them how theirs came to be. Nothing more.
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Coolness, that falls under the first option which honestly has the best odds of this topic surviving the next three days.

Further debate regarding Monsno's derail will be considered off topic and likely removed on sight. If anyone feels that an element of Monsno's commentary against the practice of magical names is worth further discussion then they are welcome to start a new thread quoting the relevant text. Just keep it out of this thread.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

In which case, I retract all the questions in my previous post, seeing as they are going down the second avenue and are thus derailing.

This is not a question of whether or not they are useful/good. This was a question about, if you have adopted one, how that process came to be. Why did you choose it? Did it "choose you?" Was it cultural? Did you like it because it sounded cool or because it was significant in some way.

I am not at all interested in whether or not people think it is worthwhile, beneficial, justified, etc. I am asking those who have them how theirs came to be. Nothing more.
          I am a mixture. 'Rae'ya' was pure personal choice with nothing profound or significant about it, except that I checked it with numerology and made sure that the runic transcription wasn't going to make for a dodgy sentence (which it doesn't).

One of my names is a sort of inside joke that amuses Skuld. It sounds pleasant, but it has a specific meaning that has significance to my relationship with Her. It bothers me somewhat that it is not an Old Norse word, but She doesn't seem to mind and so I'm using it for the time being. It's actually a Latin medical term that doesn't have a translation so much as a definition.

Comment

To be moderately on topic. I chose one when first starting to look at the occult and have since let it slide into disuse. If I were to take up another then it'd be either

1) to reflect a certain role and it'd be more title than name

2) to allow for interaction without using my given name

3) after an allied Power decides that it's gonna start calling me something other than my given name

The first criteria is to date the most likely to be met in real life so any name would depend on the role that I am taking up at the time. Should the second criteria ever apply, shrug, MaskedOne has served me well for years so I'd likely use it unless I want to avoid being connected to it for one reason or another.

I'm not touching the third criteria. Trying to openly predict divinities always feels like painting a target on my rear with the caption "kick here" in the center.

Comment

Many, many years ago, upon reading some excerpt on the use of "magickal names" and thus thinking I was supposed to have one, I used a bit of my Aquarius logic on a name I had already chosen for myself, for other practical reasons, and adapted one of the possible meanings of that name to suit a more magickal sense. Same name.

I still use the name, virtually everywhere, partially because I didn't buy into the concept of keeping a name secret, just between my deity friends and me. The kicker is, or rather 'was', that nobody realized it stood as a magickal name since a shortened form of it has consistently been used as my main monicker. That is, my chosen name over my given, "Christian name".

Hardly anyone at all calls me Michael. Though a few still call me Mike. Most everyone calls me Chain. When I grew out of the idea of keeping the magickal name of Chained Lightning, it simply reverted back to Chain Lightning, and nobody was the wiser. Although, the name still conjures up images of a thunderstorm on a leash, which still appeals to me.

I don't know that my finding a magickal name is right or proper, or even fitting, but I do know it felt right, at the time. Of course, nowadays, the whole premise seems like lifetimes ago, I've moved so far past them.

*shrug*

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                In which case, I retract all the questions in my previous post, seeing as they are going down the second avenue and are thus derailing.

I am a mixture. 'Rae'ya' was pure personal choice with nothing profound or significant about it, except that I checked it with numerology and made sure that the runic transcription wasn't going to make for a dodgy sentence (which it doesn't).

One of my names is a sort of inside joke that amuses Skuld. It sounds pleasant, but it has a specific meaning that has significance to my relationship with Her. It bothers me somewhat that it is not an Old Norse word, but She doesn't seem to mind and so I'm using it for the time being. It's actually a Latin medical term that doesn't have a translation so much as a definition.
                I am interested in this process of 'checking the numerology' -- I do not know much other than the soft information given on the internet that always inevitably contradicts itself. For the record, I am not asking about numerology, simply why you chose that method instead of some other.

You have a cheeky nickname with one of your goddesses? That tickles me to no end.

- - - Updated - - -

To be moderately on topic. I chose one when first starting to look at the occult and have since let it slide into disuse.
                Was there a particular reason that you allowed this name to become dormant? Was there a process you used to get it that you would warn against for people newly considering the idea of a magical moniker? Was it similar to thal example of "Red Pearl Bear," or "Blue Labrodite Seagull?"

1) to reflect a certain role and it'd be more title than name

2) to allow for interaction without using my given name

3) after an allied Power decides that it's gonna start calling me something other than my given name

The first criteria is to date the most likely to be met in real life so any name would depend on the role that I am taking up at the time. Should the second criteria ever apply, shrug, MaskedOne has served me well for years so I'd likely use it unless I want to avoid being connected to it for one reason or another.
                Are you referring to a title such as "dr," "esquire," or "sir?" Or am I perhaps being too literal. If I am, would you mind citing examples of what kind of title you would adopt?

And yes, MO seems to suit your overall enigma. Even though you'll always be MO to me, not EM-OH, but Mo. Like 'mo money, mo powa.

I'm not touching the third criteria. Trying to openly predict divinities always feels like painting a target on my rear with the caption "kick here" in the center.
                HA!

Comment

'Title' might just as aptly refer to 'job' title, so to speak. There are those that refer to me as Runesinger, not as my name but because it's what I do.
                  I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                  Tribe of my Tribe
                  Clan of my Clan
                  Kin of my Kin
                  Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                  And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    'Title' might just as aptly refer to 'job' title, so to speak. There are those that refer to me as Runesinger, not as my name but because it's what I do.
                    Runesinger? I know that you might not consider it a magical name but I am interested in it regardless.

Comment

Well, as briefly as I can to not seriously derail your thread, galdr (rune magic) involves vocalization. Some people speak, chant, sing, even scream the runes. I am of the singing school. It just occured to me that a buddy of mine might be called Old Rune Yeller... sorry, it's kinda like Tourettes, it just comes out...
                      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                      Tribe of my Tribe
                      Clan of my Clan
                      Kin of my Kin
                      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                        Many, many years ago, upon reading some excerpt on the use of "magickal names" and thus thinking I was supposed to have one, I used a bit of my Aquarius logic on a name I had already chosen for myself, for other practical reasons, and adapted one of the possible meanings of that name to suit a more magickal sense. Same name.

I still use the name, virtually everywhere, partially because I didn't buy into the concept of keeping a name secret, just between my deity friends and me. The kicker is, or rather 'was', that nobody realized it stood as a magickal name since a shortened form of it has consistently been used as my main monicker. That is, my chosen name over my given, "Christian name".

Hardly anyone at all calls me Michael. Though a few still call me Mike. Most everyone calls me Chain. When I grew out of the idea of keeping the magickal name of Chained Lightning, it simply reverted back to Chain Lightning, and nobody was the wiser. Although, the name still conjures up images of a thunderstorm on a leash, which still appeals to me.

I don't know that my finding a magickal name is right or proper, or even fitting, but I do know it felt right, at the time. Of course, nowadays, the whole premise seems like lifetimes ago, I've moved so far past them.

*shrug*
                        This happened to a mate of mine, not in the magical community, but he looks like Hagrid, from HP, and now I and everyone else struggles to remember his name is Craig.

And yes, MO seems to suit your overall enigma. Even though you'll always be MO to me, not EM-OH, but Mo. Like 'mo money, mo powa.
                        tehehe MO *was* em-oh. Now it's not!

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        Well, as briefly as I can to not seriously derail your thread, galdr (rune magic) involves vocalization. Some people speak, chant, sing, even scream the runes. I am of the singing school. It just occured to me that a buddy of mine might be called Old Rune Yeller... sorry, it's kinda like Tourettes, it just comes out...
                        Speaking of galdr, you should start a thread, and teach me how to find my galdr 'voice'
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I am interested in this process of 'checking the numerology' -- I do not know much other than the soft information given on the internet that always inevitably contradicts itself. For the record, I am not asking about numerology, simply why you chose that method instead of some other.
                          It was back when I was a teenager and neo-Wiccan, as we all seem to be when we're teenagers. I've been carrying this name around for like... fourteen years now. The numerology thing I read in a book, along with the concept of magickal names or pagan names. The numerology was just adding up the numbers that correspond with the letters and having it match either your birth number or a number that is significant to you. I don't put any store in that method now... I'm not generally into numerology at all. But when you're a kid and just starting out it seems like the thing to do.

I do still like to check things with runic translations though. I actually don't use runes as an alphabet at all, because I work with them for galdr, magick and divination... they each represent a distinct concept and magickal energy. When I see Raidho I don't think 'R', I think 'travel, journey, forward momentum etc etc' and that concept and magickal energy is automatically imbued every time I write or visualise the rune. So when I transcribe something into runes, it's not as letters, it's as a set of concepts. So 'Rae'ya' doesn't translate into 'Raidho-Ehwaz-Jera-Ansuz' (yes that's correct... I transcribe phonetically, not literally, so the 'ae' sound is represented by Ehwaz). It translates into something along the lines of 'journey in fruitful relationship with the gods'. It ends up being somewhat of a bindrune when you do it that way.

Are you referring to a title such as "dr," "esquire," or "sir?" Or am I perhaps being too literal. If I am, would you mind citing examples of what kind of title you would adopt?
                          I know this wasn't for me, but I'll answer it anyway, because I think I know what is meant by titles rather than names.

It's like Rick said... a descriptor or role rather than a name. A lot of Old Norse names are something along these lines, especially the heiti (alternate names) of deities and the names of Valkyrja and things like that. Usually they translate into a descriptors like 'Bright-Shield' or 'Spear-Strong' or 'Battle-Fierce' or something like that. For example, Othinn is known by many, many heiti, which he uses to identify himself during his travels. When asked his name in one guise he replied 'I am called Bolverkr', which means 'Evil-Doer', instead of giving his real name. So they all become alternate names, but are descriptors or titles rather than 'names'.

People actually do this all the time when coming up with magickal names... chose words that describe what you are or what you want to be. Then either leave it as is or translate it into another language. Rick the Runesinger is a good example.[/QUOTE]

Comment

It was back when I was a teenager and neo-Wiccan, as we all seem to be when we're teenagers. I've been carrying this name around for like... fourteen years now. The numerology thing I read in a book, along with the concept of magickal names or pagan names. The numerology was just adding up the numbers that correspond with the letters and having it match either your birth number or a number that is significant to you. I don't put any store in that method now... I'm not generally into numerology at all. But when you're a kid and just starting out it seems like the thing to do.
                            I did that too, which is what I'm Rowanwood instead of just Rowan. I'm not big into any one "divination" method, be it numerology, astrology or whatnot, but somehow when I mash all that info together, it helps me figure myself out. Sort of like personality tests. One at a time, they seem lacking, but add them up and suddenly you see the patterns appear.

My life path and name are an 11. And I'm an INTP. They correlate. But that's probably an entirely other discussion.

Comment

I do still like to check things with runic translations though. I actually don't use runes as an alphabet at all, because I work with them for galdr, magick and divination... they each represent a distinct concept and magickal energy. When I see Raidho I don't think 'R', I think 'travel, journey, forward momentum etc etc' and that concept and magickal energy is automatically imbued every time I write or visualise the rune. So when I transcribe something into runes, it's not as letters, it's as a set of concepts. So 'Rae'ya' doesn't translate into 'Raidho-Ehwaz-Jera-Ansuz' (yes that's correct... I transcribe phonetically, not literally, so the 'ae' sound is represented by Ehwaz). It translates into something along the lines of 'journey in fruitful relationship with the gods'. It ends up being somewhat of a bindrune when you do it that way.
                              I haven't done this with my name, though I do spell it with runes often (Hagalaz-Ehwaz-Kenaz-Ansuz), as a teenager I could write fluently in runes, and am not too rusty now! So that's usually my first thought - though I'm getting over it!
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Rick and Rae'ya have pretty much gotten the gist of what I meant about a title so I'm gonna be lazy and just refer you to them.

The dormant name mostly got that way because it failed my prior criteria. It didn't reflect a role/title. I don't reveal my practice to people I don't trust so I have no need for a shadow name to protect my real one and I haven't had any Powers step in and name me something else. The name I was born to just means more to me so until I have a pressing reason to adopt another or shed the one I have, I stick to the name my parents gave me.

Comment

Working...
                                X