This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

becoming pagan

how exactly how does one become pagan/wiccan?
    is there any ceremonies or anything like that or do you simply
    say you are pagan?

Re: becoming pagan

Depends on what tradition we're talking about. With quite a lot of them (I hesitate to say 'most'), all you have to do to be a member of X tradition is follow its rules/laws/deities/other essentials.

With some forms of Wicca, you need to be initiated. I think there's a form or two of Satanism that also has initiation. Kemetic Orthodoxy requires a Beginner's Class to qualify as a remetj, and then I think there's at least one more rite of passage before becoming a shemsu--a full member.

The above are just a few examples of pagan religions that have requirements for entry. Different groups and traditions have their own rules.

Some people also do dedication ceremonies for themselves. Personally, I just put on the Kemetic hat and went from there. No ceremony needed. Then again, I got tapped hard by Bast, so my dedication was chosen for me at that point.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

For many shamanic pathways it requires you either physically die or experience a shamanic death (severe sickness, death and dismemberment in a dream or journey, etc). It's like i've experienced both and was selected by family elders to be initially trained and guided on a shamanic type pathway.

I say many for with the push shamanism has gained in the last ten to twenty years, especially the last ten though, a lot of people simply decide they want to be shaman and go from there. Personally I think that creates a rift between those who choose it and those who were chosen by Spirit but that is a different story.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Ok,I am interested in the Celtic Pict traditions
        also I keep having dreams about and am attracted to Pan and Cerrunos

Comment

Originally posted by oldhippie View Post
          When I was stationed in Scotland back in 79 - 81 I encountered a Peti Wicca group up near Aberdeen that required one to be initiated into the coven. Yet it was sort of strange in that they demanded you be initiated but at the same time they recruited by giving hand and verbal signs. I recall three women passed me by a couple times on the street and each time came by saying "Blessed Be Brother" and doing a hand gesture. Basically a hand sign of the thumb, pinkie and forefinger pointed outward with the remaining two fingers tucked under. Almost a modified "I love You" hand signing. Did a couple of things with them but it wasn't my pathway so I never initiated into their group. I do recall they used Gallic for some of their ritual things but that might just have been that group.

Comment

Wicca is but one form of Paganism, and involves following the Wiccan rede ("an it harm none, do what thou wilt"), recognizing the Divine as immanent, found in nature, and represented by a God and Goddess equally as well as possibly by countless individual deities as aspects, and celebrating 8 special days throughout the year called the sabbats, which are celebrations relating to myth and agricultural practices. Wiccans work with five elements (earth, air, fire, water, spirit), and believe in karma and sometimes the threefold law ("what you send out comes back times three"). Wiccans typically have a book of shadows which is a journal and record of magical workings and dreams, and often work with magical tools like athames, cups, wands, and pentacles. They may also work with astrology, gemstones, herbs, and/or fairies.

Wiccans may work within a coven (group). Some traditions of Wicca require initiation, and often if you work with a coven you need to be initiated into it (an initiation is a special ritual relating to starting a new tradition or with a new group). Wicca is believed to have been started by Gerald Gardner in the mid 20th century, and some traditions are Gardnerian, Alexandrian, 1734, Dianic, and many others. However, you can practice alone (which makes you a "solitary Wiccan") and self dedicate yourself to Wicca (you should be able to find dedication rituals by searching onine). A dedication is a ritual wherein you formally dedicate yourself to the practices of Wicca and service to the God and Goddess.

Some Wiccans work with Celtic deities and the sabbats are Celt-inspired. However, you may instead wish to be a Celtic reconstructionist or a Greek reconstructionist. Reconstructionists study their chosen culture in depth and often perform rituals and tasks that are inspired by ancient rituals of that culture. Many reconstructionist forums exist where you can learn from others and find practices, beliefs, and myths.

I can't post links but there are very in depth pages on both Celtic and Greek reconstructionism on ecauldron.net and you can find much more information by searching.

Does this help?

Comment

If you want to work in a group setting, you'd be initiated in whichever fashion that group's tradition dictates. If you'd rather be a solitary, I would suggest researching Celtic-Pictish practices and perhaps write your own self-dedication ritual based on those practices.

Such ceremonies are important, but they don't make the Pagan. In other words you can't just talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Something else you might want to consider is do you want to be traditional, Recon, Celtic influences over another backbone sort of like Celtic Wiccan, do you want to be more Celtic Christian which to some borders on paganism though it is Christian. Then also consider do you want Irish Celtic influences, Mainland Celtic Influences, Celtic influences based upon Q or P language groupings. The same could apply with regard to the Pictish aspect as well though there I think you'll have to decide highland pict influences or outer island pict influences which are similar yet also different than highland pict influences.

Then consider perhaps that Cerrunos has similarities to Herne the Hunter which moves it into more Britanic Celtic which was in Southern England and into parts of Wales which is yet another Celtic grouping.

Comment

what I am interested in is pre-Christian Scottish highland Pict traditions
                  yes I know info on them is hard to come by.
                  I do feel an attraction to them and also with my tattooed face
                  and other tattoos you could say that i am a modern day Pict.
                  also being that I was born under the sign of capricorn
                  I am attracted to Pan and goats

Comment

what I am interested in is pre-Christian Scottish highland Pict traditions
                    yes I know info on them is hard to come by.
                    I do feel an attraction to them and also with my tattooed face
                    and other tattoos you could say that i am a modern day Pict.
                    also being that I was born under the sign of capricorn
                    I am attracted to Pan and goats
                    There isn't much that we know with great certainty that is truly pre-Christian regarding the Celts and Picts. What little we know is hopelessly influenced by the Christians that wrote it down. We have some anthropological guesses, but primarily you are going to find reconstructionist and neopagans when it comes to functioning religions.

There is nothing wrong with going by intuition either, as long as you don't say it's anything else.

I would be very leery of anyone claiming to have significant un-broken lineage type connections or information of this region that don't admit to at least some Christian influence.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                      There isn't much that we know with great certainty that is truly pre-Christian regarding the Celts and Picts. What little we know is hopelessly influenced by the Christians that wrote it down. We have some anthropological guesses, but primarily you are going to find reconstructionist and neopagans when it comes to functioning religions.

There is nothing wrong with going by intuition either, as long as you don't say it's anything else.

I would be very leery of anyone claiming to have significant un-broken lineage type connections or information of this region that don't admit to at least some Christian influence.
                      yes I know information about pre-Christian Scottish highland Pict traditions
                      is very hard to come by and there is very little un-broken lineage
                      so probly do have to go by intuition a lot and pick and chose a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
                        Depends on what tradition we're talking about. With quite a lot of them (I hesitate to say 'most'), all you have to do to be a member of X tradition is follow its rules/laws/deities/other essentials.

Kemetic Orthodoxy requires a Beginner's Class to qualify as a remetj, and then I think there's at least one more rite of passage before becoming a shemsu--a full member.
                        So how do I do it (the Beginner's Class)? Must I pass a special exam that shows my loyalty or knowledge?
                        Right now I just try to live in Ma'at, like many Kemetics do.
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                          So how do I do it (the Beginner's Class)? Must I pass a special exam that shows my loyalty or knowledge?
                          Right now I just try to live in Ma'at, like many Kemetics do.
                          You fill out an application before the next class period. If you're accepted, you'll be added to a mailing list and there will be weekly lessons and chats. The Kemetic Orthodox are generally pretty open-minded. As long as you don't give off serial killer vibes or something, you'll be okay.

Here's the relevant link: http://kemet.org/join.
                          Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Yay! Thank you very much, Satu! :yesss:
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                            X