This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The truth about deities

Will see who's right after we're all dead. Until then can't we all just get along. Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      How is your statement any different than what he's said?
      Wasn't trying to be different. That's sarcasm.

Comment

Didn't someone just mention how they hate it when followers of other religions 'know' more about it than you?

I agree on the previous points that

A) It sounds like you're saying we're all wrong to worship our gods.
        B) You don't seem to know much about Paganism
        C) You assume an awful lot about us to make these points.

I would like to add one thing, however.

Let's say that my primary god isn't really a god. Let's say Allah is the only 'real' god. So I pray to Allah for help, guidance, what--have-you. And I don't get it. I pray and I obey and do everything I should, but I get no help/solace/etc. So I ask Loki for help. And I get it. Like that *snaps fingers* At this point, does it really matter that Loki 'isn't really a god'? If he answers prayers, helps, comforts me, etc . . . isn't that good enough? From my point of view it doesn't matter if Allah exists or not if He has no interaction with me.

I was raised Christian but never felt the first ounce of inspiration or divinity from God. It actually scared the hell out of me the first time a deity directly answered me because I was so used to feeling nothing. After begging and pleading for something, anything from the Christian god, it freaked me out when Thor popped in and (metaphorically) yelled 'S'UP?!'

Now, you could make the argument that my gods are not truly gods by whatever definition you choose to make up, BUT if they serve the purpose of gods, doesn't that mean they're fairly close? I believe that the Christian god and Allah exist because so many people believe in them, but I don't worship them. I believe the president exists, too, but I don't go around saying 'O Mighty Obama, without whom we are as naught'

Comment

Originally posted by Hekla View Post
          Wasn't trying to be different. That's sarcasm.
          Sarcasm can be really difficult to grasp for some people and this is a discussion that pushes a lot of buttons, so let's just leave sarcasm out of it. Let's move on, shall we? Thanks.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
          X