This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Gods and Popular Media

I had an awkward moment when my doctor recognised my necklace.
    "Beautiful necklace. Is it Celtic tree of life or Yggdrasil?"
    (I nearly fell off from the examining table)

Usually people don't recognise my necklace. Usually they just look at it and say; "a tree, how cute. Are you some sort of a tree hugger?"

And BTW it's Yggdrasil.
    Pray the Gods - Fine - But keep rowing to shore.

Comment

Supernatural has really made me shift uncomfortably or laugh downright at the show's version of "Pagan lore". Gods hungry for sacrifice, witches villainized, pronouncing Samhain "Sam-hane".
      Annnnd then curious people ask me "Is any of that true?? o :"
      Of course not, it's just a show. Sometimes, people gently need reminded just that. This perception is not real; it's not relevant. Depending on the person, you may be able to explain further. Or you may not. And that's okay. c:

Comment

Originally posted by Varga View Post
        I had an awkward moment when my doctor recognised my necklace.
        "Beautiful necklace. Is it Celtic tree of life or Yggdrasil?"
        (I nearly fell off from the examining table)

Usually people don't recognise my necklace. Usually they just look at it and say; "a tree, how cute. Are you some sort of a tree hugger?"

And BTW it's Yggdrasil.
        Ha ha, that's awesome! I have a Mjolnir pendant that incorporates Yggdrasil (knotwork on one side and a naturalistic looking tree on the other). I've only had one comment on it, asking if it was Celtic because of the knotwork. I'm a bit surprised I haven't been asked about it more, but I guess as far as Mjolnirs go, it's pretty discrete. Kinda wish I would have a moment like that with someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerdivae Song View Post
          Supernatural has really made me shift uncomfortably or laugh downright at the show's version of "Pagan lore". Gods hungry for sacrifice, witches villainized, pronouncing Samhain "Sam-hane".
          Annnnd then curious people ask me "Is any of that true?? o :"
          Of course not, it's just a show. Sometimes, people gently need reminded just that. This perception is not real; it's not relevant. Depending on the person, you may be able to explain further. Or you may not. And that's okay. c:
          In all fairness, Supernatural does its own thing and doesn't get anything accurate for any religious mythology and doesn't care. Its treatment of Abrahamic religious mythology is so far off as to be ludicrous, Hindu the same way. Supernatural has never really taken itself seriously, or tried to be accurate in the least.
          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Satan in popular media...

Like... SATAN PRESIDENT BUSH?!

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
              In all fairness, Supernatural does its own thing and doesn't get anything accurate for any religious mythology and doesn't care. Its treatment of Abrahamic religious mythology is so far off as to be ludicrous, Hindu the same way. Supernatural has never really taken itself seriously, or tried to be accurate in the least.
              Haha, I'm glad for that! >w<

Comment

Supernatural does have its own danger in the people who take it seriously. As much as I drool over Sam and his collection of Books On Everything Ever, I never feel completely safe arou d the people who use it as their main source. Or safe at all.
                That being said, my mom found my Mjolnir pendant much less threatening when I was trying to hug a Hemmsworth standee

Comment

Threshold's would generally be my opinion as well. When I was younger I felt like I needed to educate people but came to the conclusion that it wasn't relevant if they had it right or wrong in terms of my own beliefs. I don't get offended at tv/movie descriptions either. I love my sci fi and horror movies and tv and they almost always take a weird twist on things, mispronounce or just misrepresent things. I generally get a chuckle out of it anymore and that's all. That even goes for extended family for me these days. I have cousins/aunts/uncles etc out there that have some weird ideas about pagans and I know what they think but I don't feel like it helps them to understand, because really in the end they don't want to and they have their own religious path. It doesn't really affect me. I suppose if I were getting ready to be burned at the stake or something I would feel far more motivated to try to educate people but that is not likely. I find it's not worth the energy and mostly just mildly amusing.

Comment

Working...
                  X