The Ask a (Gay) Pagan Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ask a (Gay) Pagan Thread!

[quote author=kijani link=topic=948.msg24201#msg24201 date=1293058692]I also know that for me personally, my sexuality is a part of me, and I have incorporated it into how I worship.

[/quote]Ra with pink eye shadow ... Odin with a nice lavender headdress and a rabbit stole ... Helios with long wavy blonde hair (never mind, he is depicted that way) ... J/K ...

Actually I see no reason that a persons sexual preference should in any way preclude them from any type of worship except that some beliefs (such as Christianity) have very specific morality guides concerning it ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=948.msg24381#msg24381 date=1293132910]
      Ra with pink eye shadow ... Odin with a nice lavender headdress and a rabbit stole ... Helios with long wavy blonde hair (never mind, he is depicted that way) ... J/K ...

Actually I see no reason that a persons sexual preference should in any way preclude them from any type of worship except that some beliefs (such as Christianity) have very specific morality guides concerning it ...
      [/quote]
      This might not really relate to this topic but it did spark some talky talky in me. I can see how simply one's gender can influence how one perceives ones deity and how you worship said deity. I mean women and men probably view deity differently. Heck, children are taught to talk about 'baby Jesus' first. My point? In here I am sure. Women may have a hard time becoming close to a male oriented pronoun of a god. And that's just straight women. Deseret comes to mind when I think on this and the issues she's had connecting with heavenly father and mother archetypes. Now imagine you are a Lesbian? And you really identify with and are completely comfortable with the feminine divine. And here you are, having to be close to a male divine. Something you aren't quite familiar with in your every day dealings perhaps. It can affect you. Heck, your race and culture plays an influence on how you view the divine. I know we hate to say it. But in the end how we view our deity..is a completely human concept.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=948.msg24386#msg24386 date=1293133303]
        This might not really relate to this topic but it did spark some talky talky in me. I can see how simply one's gender can influence how one perceives ones deity and how you worship said deity. I mean women and men probably view deity differently. Heck, children are taught to talk about 'baby Jesus' first. My point? In here I am sure. Women may have a hard time becoming close to a male oriented pronoun of a god. And that's just straight women. Deseret comes to mind when I think on this and the issues she's had connecting with heavenly father and mother archetypes. Now imagine you are a Lesbian? And you really identify with and are completely comfortable with the feminine divine. And here you are, having to be close to a male divine. Something you aren't quite familiar with in your every day dealings perhaps. It can affect you. Heck, your race and culture plays an influence on how you view the divine. I know we hate to say it. But in the end how we view our deity..is a completely human concept.
        [/quote]

I tend to agree with this.

Comment

[/quote]

I think this is very well said, Medusa. That's what I've been trying to say, but I don't think I've been able to get my point across thus far.
          It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
          -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

[/quote]

I agree with medusa that scares me j/k still this a good point have you created this thread yet?
            Circe

Comment

[/quote]
              +1 very well said!

Comment

Comment

Wow first of all i have been on here for how long? i never saw this before and i am gay? lol. [quote author=Clive link=topic=948.msg17786#msg17786 date=1290870989]
                  As far as having a balance between sexual energies, I think people focus far too much on physical sex - that is, male and female. We sometimes forget that there's far more to being a man or a woman than having a penis or a vagina. For example, if you ask me, a person who is born a woman but physically becomes a man is just as much a man as one who was born male, because that person chooses to live as a man, feels like a man and thinks like a man.

I feel equally connected to my Goddess and my God. Not once have they ever frowned upon my relationships or my sexuality. I can talk to them about anything and they speak to me objectively. My belief about them is that they have experienced anything and everything we could think of, including all forms of sexuality. There is homosexuality in all of nature. We have our place and our social functions.

My being a man who is attracted to men doesn't make me "out of touch" with feminine energies. I daresay that gay men are generally more in touch with their feminine sides than are straight men, even those of us with masculine mannerisms. Therefore, I don't need a woman to be in touch with my Goddess. I don't need a woman to cook my meals or clean my house or do my laundry. If I rip my jeans, I can stitch it myself. If someone gets sick I can take care of them (albeit with a bit of a rougher hand than a woman might use). I have both Goddess and God within me. The same could be said for my lover. He is my Goddess and my God, and I am his. To hell with what Gardner said. He was a pervert anyway.

Fun fact: I have successfully drawn down the moon once in my life, but never succeeded in drawing down the sun.
                  [/quote]

You have said exactly what i was going to say! i am also very eclectic in my beliefs so that helps out with a lot of stuff. i believe in the same gods/goddesses as everyone else, i believe that water energy is still water energy etc etc. i hasn't really changed my beliefs being gay.
                  Besides there has ALWAYS been homosexuality. look at the greek and the other ancient civilizations. and even in nature. monkeys and other animals have tendencies all the time, and sometimes full blown sex.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Very nice point made
                    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                    -Adam Lambert

Comment

I'm GAY!!! So glad to see a thread like this!

Ceragonstarfire: Love how you talk about many gay men being more in touch with their fem. side then straight men. I know many gay men who are more in touch with their fem. side then I even tend to be. Wouldn't call myself butch, but just not girly!

Comment

I feel equally connected to my Goddess and my God. Not once have they ever frowned upon my relationships or my sexuality. I can talk to them about anything and they speak to me objectively. My belief about them is that they have experienced anything and everything we could think of, including all forms of sexuality. There is homosexuality in all of nature. We have our place and our social functions.

Comment

Originally posted by CorsairsHope View Post
                          I'm GAY!!! So glad to see a thread like this!

Ceragonstarfire: Love how you talk about many gay men being more in touch with their fem. side then straight men. I know many gay men who are more in touch with their fem. side then I even tend to be. Wouldn't call myself butch, but just not girly!
                          OMFG ME TOO. /lame

But seriously. And I think that my main point was that for some people, it can affect things. I think several good points have been made, though. For those of us that feel that it does affect our spirituality, there are several ways to look at it. And some of us don't. *shrugs*

I don't think anyone has said that any diety frowns upon our relationshiips or sexuality. That was not the point of this thread. I was just making the point that sometimes, some of us feel more comfortable approaching our spirituality in different ways, and that we find another way to find that balance. Didn't say that all of us do, but I don't think any god or goddess frowns upon anything like that.
                          -Adam Lambert

Comment

Ok, so please don't flame me. I'm really not trying to troll you.

But how does being gay/bi have any affect on you being a pagan? As in, how are you going to answer any questions I might have differently than someone who is straight?
                            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                              Ok, so please don't flame me. I'm really not trying to troll you.

But how does being gay/bi have any affect on you being a pagan? As in, how are you going to answer any questions I might have differently than someone who is straight?
                              -As far as I can tell, it doesn't affect my being a Pagan.

-Hell if I know. Ask a question and then we'll weigh any differences in answers between gay and straight folk.
                              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Whenever I think of exclusively gay paganism, I usually think (rightly or wrongly) of the Radical Faeries(their wiki)...but there are other groups too.

....I will also say that there has historically (and even still) been some issues of non-acceptance in the Pagan community...the excuse occasionally being that it messes up a duality of energy (polarity), etc (which I think is a grossly over-simplistic and ultimately mistaken view, but it exists).

If you want to know how some people choose to do gay paganism, I would suggest a listen to this.
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X