Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here work with deities they've only seen in their UPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone here work with deities they've only seen in their UPG?

Some of the gods I work with don't exist in classical myth as far as I can tell.

Re: Does anyone here work with deities they've only seen in their UPG?

We've had a number of folks over the years that work with deities from fiction, and also with deities that barely exist in the historical record and require a great deal of UPG...but UPG alone, not sure...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

What is UPG?

Comment

Looked it up,and it is "Unverified personal gnosis (often abbreviated UPG) is the phenomenological concept that an individual's spiritual insights (or gnosis) may be valid for them without being generalizable to the experience of others. It is primarily a neologism used in polytheistic reconstructionism, to differentiate it from ancient sources of spiritual practices."

Found that here.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unveri...ersonal_gnosis

Please if you are going to use terms,please explain them for us not knowledgeable on these terms.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I work with one that nearly everything about him is UPG for me.

Yet for me UPG is defined as both Un-provable and unverifiable personal gnosis. Un-provable in that I can not find anything beyond my own beliefs yet unverifiable in that there are things that suggest this god but not sufficiently to say it is the same one. Which is why many utilize UPG with SPG or CPG concepts. SPG being shared personal gnosis which we can compare to the UPG of another. It's like there are things about Hekate and her ocean perspective that I can find no historical verifiable proof yet other's have arrived at the same conclusions based upon personal belief and comparisons of similar divinities within the larger mythos and pantheon. Then the last is confirmed personal gnosis (CPG) that started out as UPG advanced to SPG and finally some fragment or previously unknown item becomes available and confirms what we though. Using Hekate again there was an idea that I and a few other's shared but couldn't confirm via mythology and such yet advanced to CPG via coinage of all things. A simple design on the observe side of a coin that conveyed the story and it's historical importance. In that instance the shining light that appeared to warn of the attack of the Macedonian's and was recorded as a crescent moon and bursting star pattern.

I've found that relying on traditional myth has many limitations, not the least of which is how the myth is known today. Many times things can be supported but frequently not from places you'd think to look. Word usage and meaning is also a hindering aspect at times as I think we look to the past but impose modern morality and definitions upon the word and its meaning. We become so biased from the start that any clue or truth is already lost because of it.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
          X