Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Pet Peeves

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    But your recons are the ones who go the closest to recreate the ethical, cultural, moral, familial practices that go with it.
    And how have you measured such an endeavor?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

My pet peeve is those who have pet peeves about other Pagans.
      Not everyone can be in perfect balance at the same time nor can anyone be in perfect balance all the time.

"Fluffy Bunnies" are possibly Rottweiler pups of the witch world.
      People who demand proof should prove their existence before being shown any evidence. There is no proof of deity. It takes faith to get from here to there. The only evidence is subjective. I have invoked deity and in that exchange I saw the potential within myself. we are not meant to worship deity, rather we are partners with deity in creating the life we desire.
      Magic is what sleight of hand artists do on stage, Magik is the act of changing the physical through will and word. I do not do card tricks, I create worlds.
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

People who say a lot of words and yet still say absolutely nothing.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Passive aggressive comments directed at other members are a pet peeve of MINE and will NOT be tolerated in this thread. If I see any more I will rain doom upon the heads of the authors of said comments. Consider yourselves warned.

Comment

I've recalled two more peeves, sorta - kinda linked to each other, but not exclusive to each other.

The throwing around and piling on of various "magical" titles. "I'm the high priest of the third degree of the sacred fifth inner circle of the woo woo mastery ..." you get the idea. I could very well shout out titles like that as well, since I'm probably the only one who practices just as I do, so that makes me my own grand high poobaa and expert in my field. A fancy title doesn't earn you respect from me, showing that you're not all piss and wind does.

Along with that, the concept of "if you're not in a coven/society/whatever, you're doing it wrong and don't know what you're talking about". Again, get over yourself. We're all on a path to spiritual enlightenment, so let me do it my way, and you do it your way.

Comment

People who overlook pagan history (or any religions history actually) because it's not nice enough or clean enough for them.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

One of my pet peeves is people throwing around "blessed be" at people without knowing if they're comfortable with it. "Blessed be" is a shorthand form of the Fivefold Kiss, which is ultimately sexual and kind of uncomfortable for some people, especially to have others directing it at them without permission.

Also, how fertility religions are kind of loud in the pagan community, and I'm horribly tokophobic and often sex-repulsed, but there's not much sympathy for me.

And the overall ableism in the community. Treating mentally ill pagans poorly.

>> I have many complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanish View Post
                  One of my pet peeves is people throwing around "blessed be" at people without knowing if they're comfortable with it. "Blessed be" is a shorthand form of the Fivefold Kiss, which is ultimately sexual and kind of uncomfortable for some people, especially to have others directing it at them without permission.

Also, how fertility religions are kind of loud in the pagan community, and I'm horribly tokophobic and often sex-repulsed, but there's not much sympathy for me.

And the overall ableism in the community. Treating mentally ill pagans poorly.

>> I have many complaints.
                  It sounds like you're mainly talking about wicca, right? Luckily these generalisations aren't true for all wiccans, and far less so for other pagans, so you shouldn't come up against too much of this at PF. Just in case though, to save your head from face-palm injury, here's a few points to keep you sane...

For many wiccans at least those I've come by (and from books I've read), fertility doesn't have to be about sex and reproduction. Babies repulse me, and I have no intention of raising a little joy-sucker for 18+ years (lets face it, unless things dramatically change, that '+' is probably at least 10 years). A plot of land can be fertile, a creative mind can be fertile, a social life can be fertile. When I celebrate a fertility festival, I'm usually asking for mental fertility, because I'm a dedicated language learner and I want to improve as much and as quickly as I can. Then during the harvest I'll give thanks for how much my skills have improved over the growing season. I'm certainly not in the minority in this kind of practice.

Also, my coven (the good one, not the weird one I joined a few years after the good one disbanded) was female only. We did the 5-fold kiss. It was beautiful, and powerful, but not sexual in the sense of wanting to bang one another. My ex girlfriend was in the coven, but even when we were an item, we kept our sex life out of the circle. Also, you'll find if you ask the person who used BB, that most of them won't make the connection you are making. If it wasn't their intention, then I'd simply take it as they meant it, just a greeting and a wish for your wellness.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                    People who overlook pagan history (or any religions history actually) because it's not nice enough or clean enough for them.
                    This is probably my big one from outside the community. Its frustrating to try to talk about history when people don't want to deal with the reality of it.
                    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

The "reality" of history depends a great deal on the individuals point of view. As it is often said, "history is written by the victors". That same time period is viewed differently by those involved on different sides.
                      Once that is accepted then history becomes more fluid and less truth than factual.
                      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Pet peeve,do not "Anoint" me with anything without my saying it is ok.....do not blow smoke at me also....or gesture with a long pointy stick...Your "Stick" may become broken in several places and hidden where the sun never shines too.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The perfume snipers of the pagan world��?

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            Pet peeve,do not "Anoint" me with anything without my saying it is ok.....do not blow smoke at me also....or gesture with a long pointy stick...Your "Stick" may become broken in several places and hidden where the sun never shines too.
                            Pagan festival flashbacks!

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I find adding the 'k' to magic annoying or not. I used to do it when I was in my teens and early twenties. Having learnt of the arguments against doing so, I decided to stop. After all, magic and stage magic are already easily distinguished -by the word 'stage' dammit!! Now I guess the k seems noobish to me, probably because it reminds me of when I thought it was all cool and woo woo to use a weird spelling.
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              Pagan festival flashbacks!

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I find adding the 'k' to magic annoying or not. I used to do it when I was in my teens and early twenties. Having learnt of the arguments against doing so, I decided to stop. After all, magic and stage magic are already easily distinguished -by the word 'stage' dammit!! Now I guess the k seems noobish to me, probably because it reminds me of when I thought it was all cool and woo woo to use a weird spelling.
                              I've been having similar doubts myself lately...
                              She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

I admit I mostly have become immune to being annoyed by it, but I wouldn' do it on purpose. I reserve my true pet peeve for stuff like majik, magique, etc.
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X