Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lets talk Runes!

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    No, not scrambled eggs (not sure if I mean the same thing by this so will try and explain) you use raw egg yolk mixed with pigment to create a paint. Don't use the yolk on the wood otherwise, only with pigment to make a paint.

If you cut wooden discs, you could use linseed with the pigment instead, or you could use linseed in order to strengthen the runes by just rubbing it in (it can take ages to dry).

You don't have to use blood to paint the runes - a drop on each would suffice as part of an empowering ritual, and you could paint or burn the symbols onto the runes themselves.

Menstrual blood would probably be quite acceptable if you don't want to cut yourself.
    ooooh ok...now i get it lol thanks allot for explaining. i had gotten a little lost there for a minute

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
      alternately if one didnt want to draw god knows how much blood to cover the entire rune set.
      If you like the blood idea, menstrual blood happens totally naturally, you dont have to cut yourself, and has for a really long time been used as offering and in magical applications by women. It is a major connection with life-force and has some really spectacular birthing symbology for creating something, or birthing your runes, clearly, as with any application of blood be sure to use care, and after imbuing you runes with said blood beeswax and linseed oil would be a lovely way to keep them preserved. Just don't do anything you are uncomfortable with if the blood idea, eigther pricking skin or menstrual, makes your skin crawl, it will likely continue to skeeve you out. If ya don't like it, dont do it! :P
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
        If you like the blood idea, menstrual blood happens totally naturally, you dont have to cut yourself, and has for a really long time been used as offering and in magical applications by women. It is a major connection with life-force and has some really spectacular birthing symbology for creating something, or birthing your runes, clearly, as with any application of blood be sure to use care, and after imbuing you runes with said blood beeswax and linseed oil would be a lovely way to keep them preserved. Just don't do anything you are uncomfortable with if the blood idea, eigther pricking skin or menstrual, makes your skin crawl, it will likely continue to skeeve you out. If ya don't like it, dont do it! :P
        Ewwww....

I'd rather cut myself than touch menstrual blood. So icky!

Mostly art.

Comment

Eh, i put mine in the compost. It's an excellent fertiliser

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            Eff this blood nonsense. I like my blood inside of me.
            What she said.

Comment

Ewwww....

At least its supposed to be comming out, its less icky then cutting yourself and getting an infection, but not for everyone :P also its a total non-option for dudes...
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Ewwww....

that one i gotta agree with...that's most def not my thing...

Comment

I mixed a few drops of blood with the red ocher when I did my runes and I use a drop of blood in water as an offering to them. Some see the runes as not just symbols but individual spirits or wights. I used blood in my naming ceremony for my athame too. I don't use menstrual blood for any of that since it's "dead".

Comment

it's great that you're wanting to make your own. Here is my two cents on the matter.

Firstly, runes should always be personal while it's great to just use the viking/etc ones that float around, I've always felt that one should make them yours, perhaps a good starting idea would be to look at the runes of many cultures as a lot of languages go back to pictograms. Find a source that truly sticks to you and add small touches to make them unique. Id also suggest getting a very soft wood to start with maybe pine or similar, using wood chisels (can get them in most hobby shops) Practice a bit to get the feel for it and see where you want to take them.

Secondly, have you considered making your own dye for it in the old manner with pigments, oil, boiling water and so forth? Doing that you could perhaps put a few drops of blood into the mix overall. there are a lot of simple dye mixtures you can do to figure out how it works, maybe even choose a color that suits what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by StormBringer View Post
                      it's great that you're wanting to make your own. Here is my two cents on the matter.

Firstly, runes should always be personal while it's great to just use the viking/etc ones that float around, I've always felt that one should make them yours, perhaps a good starting idea would be to look at the runes of many cultures as a lot of languages go back to pictograms. Find a source that truly sticks to you and add small touches to make them unique. Id also suggest getting a very soft wood to start with maybe pine or similar, using wood chisels (can get them in most hobby shops) Practice a bit to get the feel for it and see where you want to take them.

Secondly, have you considered making your own dye for it in the old manner with pigments, oil, boiling water and so forth? Doing that you could perhaps put a few drops of blood into the mix overall. there are a lot of simple dye mixtures you can do to figure out how it works, maybe even choose a color that suits what you're looking for.
                      thanks for the great reply!!! ive already started "messing" around with a few ideas...practicing with my wood burner...so i dont mess them up. love the idea of using a home made dye...do you have a good idea on how to make one?? or does anyone else know one? maybe a website that explains some stuff on that behalf or even a book?? that would be awesome.

Comment

I don't know any recipes for dyes but I just wanted to add my two cents.

I'm in the process of making a new set of runes and they will be blooded. I use blood in my magickal and runic practices as was as offering it regularly to certain deities and to the runespirits before each cast. Blood is an integral part of my practice but I know that the idea makes lots of people squirm. It's debated whether blooding runes is 'traditional' or not. Technically, it's debated whether the runes are actually the 'signs' that were used for divination at all. I'm not rec-con, and as far as I'm concerned what the runes want from me is between them and me. So do what you feel comfortable with and what your relationship with the runes suggests you do.

Comment

Let me first address a common misconception about using stones or rocks to make runes. The term "runestones" refers to large, sometimes even monolithic-sized memorial stones carved with runes & found across Europe, Western Asia, Northern Africa, & North America. There is no historical evidence of "casting" runes made out of stones.

Traditionally, runes are carved into wood (Tacitus tells us in Germania that the wood of a fruit-bearing tree is used). Making a set of runes re-enacts the Teutonic creation story. The three brothers Odin, Vili and Ve created the First Man, Ask, from an ash tree & the First Woman, Embla, from an elm. Ve (or Vili, I can never keep those two straight) gave Shape & Form, Vili (or Ve) gave Life Fluid (in the story, its spit, but it's symbolic of blood, or maybe semen), & Odin breathed ond

My motto: be practical.

Again, think practical.
                          Last edited by Rick; 07 Jun 2013, 04:59.
                          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                          Tribe of my Tribe
                          Clan of my Clan
                          Kin of my Kin
                          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

For me all I ever wanted, all that ever felt right was hematite runes. Yes hematite (I'm a big rock person). And when I found a set I bought them. Love love love love love! They are all different shapes and sizes, no uniformity at all, beautiful things I keep in a Baggie on my altar. I would love to make my own wood ones, but to be honest I'm far to lazy and they wouldn't get used in favour of my hematite ones. I just have a connection with my rocks.

In terms of use, I've used them for divining, amulets, spells, inspiration, prayer, writing, anything that I needed that I could use runes for. Fascinating creatures.

Also, I'm an elder futhark kinda gal.

also this website is the bomb: sunnyway.com/runes
                            Last edited by Juniper; 09 Jun 2013, 09:12. Reason: Link ref is staff approved.
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment