Heathen Census 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heathen Census 2013

Asatruarfeligid is the second largest 'church' in Iceland. This was covered in the Icelandic main-stream press, and they get 900-odd responses? Pity, that...
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
    Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Far too much apathy and S.E.P. (somebody else's problem) for a big turn out, I guess.

:/

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        Asatruarfeligid is the second largest 'church' in Iceland. This was covered in the Icelandic main-stream press, and they get 900-odd responses? Pity, that...
        The second largest church in a very small population is still a very small church. Barring f***-huge population growth in recent history, Iceland has a population of less than 400,000. Provided wiki is accurate (I'm too lazy to grab another source right now), Washington DC has more people than all of Iceland combined and not by a small margin. From there, factor in that you're still looking at a minority of the population who are Heathen, a minority of that population that is aware of the census to start with and a fraction of those who know about the census that can be arsed to fill it out. 900 ain't bad, it's just under 40% of this group's registered membership.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

In reference to what Mask said.

Given that Iceland has a polpulation of just over 300000 (yes you read that correctly) and that Asatru - as they call it - while second largest, only amount to less than 0.7% (yes you read that correctly to), that would give a number of members of just circa 2100-2200 all included. Having 900 vote in this is 40-43% of those. Not bad if you ask me.

P.S. These figures are put together by help of wikipedia (Danish version) and the help of an Icelandic friend
          Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Yeah, even with publication that basically advertised the notion, across a region, if you will, it's still better turn out than the average election, on US soil.

But! That doesn't make it any less sad. It would be nice to see a bit more care taken to support finding the real numbers of Heathens but I'm far too cynical to hope human nature would change for a census. Indeed. Pity, that...

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

...and the final tabulations:

Why was a census needed? Heathens have been mostly invisible in major surveys of religious affiliation. When heathens do respond to su...
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
              Tribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

Very interesting. It will be fun to see what happens when he does it again in 10 years (assuming he does).

Comment

I'm chagrined. A quarter of a percent of the population in the U.S..

Or, a shade over half a percent, if one uses the Iceland model and adjusts the numbers. However, I don't like to and can't rely on an "adjustment", either.

I'm not even going to mention that facebook page... billions and billions? ROFLMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Hekla View Post
                    Very interesting. It will be fun to see what happens when he does it again in 10 years (assuming he does).
                    I don't know how often this census has been done, but I've participated in two or three.

Blood and Country
                    Tribe of my Tribe
                    Clan of my Clan
                    Kin of my Kin
                    Blood of my Blood

Comment

WEEE Australian top 6! AND top five in terms of % of population! REPRESENT
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment