Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ave Satanas (the Ask a Satanist thread)

Medusa,

It seems like the CoS, not to mention LaVey personally, denounce Aleister Crowley, yet I've seen his writings venerated by several pagan communities and have come across his name in Satanic communities decidedly separate from CoS Satanists. What is really odd to me is that he is often mentioned alongside other writers and philosophers who are generally recommended reading by the CoS for Satanic thought, such as Nietzsche. I'd obviously like to get ahold of Crowley's writing to review it personally, but I was wondering if you had experience or opinions on Crowley's work and its value in Satanic lifestyles/thought/practice.

Comment

Man I wish I did. To be completely honest I don't care much for Crowley. At all. I am not into listening to what drug addicts have to say. I do, however adore Nietzsche! If you wander about on the Modern Church of Satan website you will find a very nice thread on recommended reading material. It's quite varied and interesting.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        I am not into listening to what drug addicts have to say.
        And yet you listen to Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson :-p
        [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Man I wish I did. To be completely honest I don't care much for Crowley. At all. I am not into listening to what drug addicts have to say. I do, however adore Nietzsche! If you wander about on the Modern Church of Satan website you will find a very nice thread on recommended reading material. It's quite varied and interesting.
          That makes perfect sense for why he is referenced in Chaos Magic. Excitatory rituals are all about that LSD/MDMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
            Medusa,

It seems like the CoS, not to mention LaVey personally, denounce Aleister Crowley, yet I've seen his writings venerated by several pagan communities and have come across his name in Satanic communities decidedly separate from CoS Satanists. What is really odd to me is that he is often mentioned alongside other writers and philosophers who are generally recommended reading by the CoS for Satanic thought, such as Nietzsche. I'd obviously like to get ahold of Crowley's writing to review it personally, but I was wondering if you had experience or opinions on Crowley's work and its value in Satanic lifestyles/thought/practice.
            Once you start reading more of what Aleister Crowley actually wrote, and less of what's been written about the man, you'd understand why. Crowley wasn't a Satanist. Philosophically, he had many things in common w/Satanists, but he was if anything, a ceremonial magician and a showman. He was also a liar, a buffoon, a mountaineer, a yoga enthusiast, and yes, a drug addict.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
              Once you start reading more of what Aleister Crowley actually wrote, and less of what's been written about the man, you'd understand why. Crowley wasn't a Satanist. Philosophically, he had many things in common w/Satanists, but he was if anything, a ceremonial magician and a showman. He was also a liar, a buffoon, a mountaineer, a yoga enthusiast, and yes, a drug addict.
              I see. Good heads up. Though, of course, the showmanship part seems rather congruent with Satanism, and LaVey was a carny himself.

Care to elaborate on "baffoon"? Like, a jester or a meddling idiot?

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
                I see. Good heads up. Though, of course, the showmanship part seems rather congruent with Satanism, and LaVey was a carny himself.
                Crowley was around in the late 1800s/early 1900s, so they weren't contemporaries. Being a showman in Crowley's day was more along the lines of a huckster or snake-oil salesman. He did things for the shock value of his time. One of his favorite quotes of mine was about a painting his mother had of Christians being thrown to the lions by the Romans. He said he felt bad that there was a lion who didn't get its own Christian. I think the quote originated in Magick in Theory and Practice.

Care to elaborate on "buffoon"? Like, a jester or a meddling idiot?
                Both. I don't really want to hijack Medusa's thread with Crowleyanism, though.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                  And yet you listen to Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson :-p
                  But I don't look to music to form my philosophy.

*smack smack!

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    I had to look it up,and that is kinda sorta weird. Anyways:

Juggalo or Juggalette (the latter being feminine) is a name given to fans of Insane Clown Posse or any other Psychopathic Records hip hop group.

And no,I did not know that...
                    And, they are now classified as a Security Threat Group (that is, a gang) by the FBI.

Just FYI.

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

Here's a quick question for you spooky LHPers:

Has anyone heard anything out of Diane Vera lately? All of her web sites and blogs are all outdated. I used to visit her site back in the day and check it occasionally to see if anything new has been posted. I understand that she's a theist and most of you are suitheist.
                    There once was a man who said though,
                    It seems that I know that I know,
                    What I'd like to see,
                    Is the I that knows me,
                    When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Bumping to unlock
                      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                      Sneak Attack
                      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I wanted to say thank you to Medusa for having this thread ^_^
                        I really didn't know anything about ANY form of Satanism (let alone that there were many branches).

I've read the whole thread thus far. I did have to break it up cause I feel a bit uneasy learning about it. NOTHING to do with the individuals, just that I don't feel that this particular spirituality/life philosophy applies to me. I'm searching for what I am (spiritually wise) and this helped me learn a bit about how I feel and what I do believe. So thank you VERY much for sharing yourself ^_^

Though, I would like to say that I very much agree with #7 of the 9 Satanic Statements and #'s 3, 5, 6, 9 & 10 of the 11 Rules of the earth ^_^

Again, thank you ^_^

Comment

You are welcome! Most people on this forum tend to gravitate toward's Torey's side of Satanism. Since it's closer with Paganism then mine. So I just usually sit here knitting baby cloven booty's for Satan.

Comment

Oh, I thought he'd want horn warmers

Comment

Originally posted by Amunet View Post
                              Oh, I thought he'd want horn warmers
                              Well that's for his birthday.

Comment

When it comes to the LaVeyan Clock (I know, I know, I still can't decide), what's your opinion on taking into consideration what other people perceive of you?

For example, people tend to assume I'm smart and scary/aggressive and that tends to pull me towards the 12-4 o'clock (in my interpretation) area, though I see myself much more from 8-12 o'clock.

Obviously, I can identify as I want but I find it much easier to see the archetypes in other people than in myself, and a recent rereading of The Satanic Witch has me mulling over my personal style and identity, and the best thing I have to go off of are the impressions other people tell me they have of me.
                                No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Working...
                                X