Runes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runes

^ couldn't have said it better myself. But no matter what material you use, always be respectful of the old traditions, and the runes themselves. Runes are no toy, and should be honored and respected, and treated with the upmost dignity.

I would say though, that it is always better, in my experiences at least, to procure the material yourself. Some may disagree with me, but honestly, for how many hands have touched and handled those tiles in the process of getting into those hobby stores, I would not feel comfortable with those tainted materials. This is another reason why I am wary buying anything online. That's just me though. I also feel that the more work you put into your runes, the closer bond you will have with them. But in the end, it's up to you and Whatever you feel most comfortable with.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
      ^ couldn't have said it better myself. But no matter what material you use, always be respectful of the old traditions, and the runes themselves. Runes are no toy, and should be honored and respected, and treated with the upmost dignity.

I would say though, that it is always better, in my experiences at least, to procure the material yourself. Some may disagree with me, but honestly, for how many hands have touched and handled those tiles in the process of getting into those hobby stores, I would not feel comfortable with those tainted materials. This is another reason why I am wary buying anything online. That's just me though. I also feel that the more work you put into your runes, the closer bond you will have with them. But in the end, it's up to you and Whatever you feel most comfortable with.
      My opinion is that if one can't cleanse a little 'background' energy out of a few pieces of wood, one has no business messin' around with runes.
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
      Tribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I have to agree with Rick here. Any witch (and I consider myself one) worth her salt has to deal with negativities and 'background energies' on an almost daily basis. Runes, tarot, crystal balls etc., are just another facet of that. I'm not a great believer in banishing everything anyway, since I'm no great fan of living or working in a vacuum.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I tend not to buy tools online, mostly because I like seeing what I'm buying. And there's a small issue of importing things here, it gets expensive quickly (taxes on anything not from europe).

As for background energies I have to agree with the others. You can make anything your own. Whether home made, store bought or onlineshopping the first thing I do before working with anyhing is cleansing it. Every time I use it. It's (in my oppinion) one of the first things any witch should master.
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
            My opinion is that if one can't cleanse a little 'background' energy out of a few pieces of wood, one has no business messin' around with runes.
            I have to second that (or third that). I've never gotten why it matters who has had them first. Either you can do magic and fix it (or, like Mrs P says, deal with what you have as you use it) or you shouldn't be doing anything with it at all.

With that being said, I also think that making it (whether its runes or something else) yourself is a magical process and experience in and of itself that is worth having and learning from, and that can create a stronger connection between you and the item.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              With that being said, I also think that making it (whether its runes or something else) yourself is a magical process and experience in and of itself that is worth having and learning from, and that can create a stronger connection between you and the item.
              This is what I was leaning towards more in my previous post before I was, in one way or another, lightly insulted by the above Rick. After working with Runes for almost 9 years, I can say that the better connection will come from runes that you make from scratch. Finding materials for, molding the materials, embedding the staves onto, and finally, dying, all done by your own hands. Now, of course background energy is something easily handled, but when it comes to something as sacred as the runes, their creation should be considered with the upmost respect. And in stating my own opinion, and what has worked best in my practices, I should not be insulted for my own first hand knowledge. Yes, you can take the easy way, go to Hobby Lobby, pick up some circular tiles that were procured from the mass killing of trees, who unwillingly gave their wood and life energy to large business profits. You could take those home, paint these ancient symbols with some chemical based substance, say some little enchantment and call them runes. But in my field and system of beliefs, and my own experiences, this is one way of angering the gods. Be my guest though. I will not look down on you for either form of creation. I just would like my own to be slightly respected enough not to directly insult.
              - Finn's Saga

Comment

This is what I was leaning towards more in my previous post before I was, in one way or another, lightly insulted by the above Rick. After working with Runes for almost 9 years, I can say that the better connection will come from runes that you make from scratch. Finding materials for, molding the materials, embedding the staves onto, and finally, dying, all done by your own hands. Now, of course background energy is something easily handled, but when it comes to something as sacred as the runes, their creation should be considered with the upmost respect. And in stating my own opinion, and what has worked best in my practices, I should not be insulted for my own first hand knowledge. Yes, you can take the easy way, go to Hobby Lobby, pick up some circular tiles that were procured from the mass killing of trees, who unwillingly gave their wood and life energy to large business profits. You could take those home, paint these ancient symbols with some chemical based substance, say some little enchantment and call them runes. But in my field and system of beliefs, and my own experiences, this is one way of angering the gods. Be my guest though. I will not look down on you for either form of creation. I just would like my own to be slightly respected enough not to directly insult.
                If you had been insulted by the above Rick, you'd be curled up in the corner in the fetal position. The above Rick doesn't "lightly insult." After being a student of the runes for over 45 years, I can say that it has been my experience that it doesn't make a flying flip what material is used to make runes. The skill to use them in magic or divination lies in the runester. There is no power in a piece of wood or clay or stone or bone or etc. None. A rune isn't a carved symbol. Runes are natural energies (solar energy, tidal energy, centrifugal force, x-rays, cosmic rays, jet streams, ocean currents, etc etc etc) with which some people have learned to connect. Some people can even tap into these energies to a degree. A rune stave merely represents a given energy, much like a number on a radio tuner represents a particular frequency.

I'm gonna give you some much needed albeit unsolicited advice.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Find more and better sources. The Rune Guild distanced themselves from Flowers, aka Thorsson, for good reason. Don't fill in the gaps with New Age mumbo jumbo.

2) 9 years and you're a vitki? At which master's feet did you study? In the whole world there might be a dozen; in the US, two, maybe three. I know most of these people either in person, or via internet. In 35 or so years come tell me what you've learned. I'll be glad to tell you how much I still don't know (I'm no rune master, although I've mastered certain aspects).

3) I used to post up on online forums about how much I knew about runes. Don't be me. Be better
                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                Tribe of my Tribe
                Clan of my Clan
                Kin of my Kin
                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I'm going to leave this alone as to not get into an argument. There's absolutely no point. If you're so high and mighty, sit on your throne. I put my input on the topic, and that's all I'll do. No point in trying to prove myself.
                  - Finn's Saga

Comment

You know, Norse Angel, Rick is giving you good, and kind advice. None of us are here to 'prove ourselves.' Rick has a wealth of knowledge and experience and over the years not just I, but many other members have learned a lot from him. That said, everyone here has something to offer, including yourself. But if you take the view that it's your way or the high way, you'll miss out on a great experience here at the Pagan Forum.

Comment

maybe i have no business messing around with runes, ill just leave now

Comment

Originally posted by Semi-Demi-God View Post
                        Why would you feel that way? I'm no vitki and never will be, but I see no harm in drawing a rune or three and trying to feel what it might be saying. The runes I've drawn have just made me see a little more clearly what's going on in my life, and given me encouragement. It's like seeing the forest for the trees. And of course I have to check a couple of sources to see what a particular rune, or the combination that I draw means. The weather today is really blah, I feel kind of blah, not really having done anything productive. This past week I was feeling my oats, standing my ground on things, and feeling a little cocky. What rune did I draw today? Isa. I take it as saying "slow down boy, don't get ahead of yourself". And the day is letting me do just that. I think in my case at this stage they are just letting me see a little more inside myself bit by bit. I don't think there's any harm in that or anything about messing around.
                        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Semi-Demi-God View Post
                          Oh good grief, I think the runes are big enough to tolerate a bit of messing around! That's one of the ways we learn. Divination isn't the be-all-and-end-all of rune work anyway, and there are so many things to explore - including which rune set to use and what you might want to use them for.

I've worked with runes for many years, and I'm very proud to say that I'm still learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                            1) Find more and better sources. The Rune Guild distanced themselves from Flowers, aka Thorsson, for good reason. Don't fill in the gaps with New Age mumbo jumbo.

2) 9 years and you're a vitki? At which master's feet did you study? In the whole world there might be a dozen; in the US, two, maybe three. I know most of these people either in person, or via internet. In 35 or so years come tell me what you've learned. I'll be glad to tell you how much I still don't know (I'm no rune master, although I've mastered certain aspects).

3) I used to post up on online forums about how much I knew about runes. Don't be me. Be better

Now my curiosity is piqued. Could you recommend some sources? Books, sites, authors, names, etc...? I've read a handful of books, done some divining, own a set, but I'm by no means beyond a novice when it comes to runes.

Comment

Thorrson got kicked out of the Guild for a very well writen research paper that the heads didn't agree with. In no way can you call his knowledge on runelore faulty, nor can you tell me the paper he wrote wasn't genius. He was kicked out over a decade and half ago, but he still continues to write, and he is still a continuing source of great information. Do not discredit a man who has done so much for the revival.
                              - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                                Now my curiosity is piqued. Could you recommend some sources? Books, sites, authors, names, etc...? I've read a handful of books, done some divining, own a set, but I'm by no means beyond a novice when it comes to runes.
                                I'll second this one.

As to the author being debated

1) Why is he apparently a controversy?

2) Does he have another name that isn't derogatory so that I can stop confusing him with a senior board member whenever he comes up in conversation?

3) Is the answer to question 1 liable to start a discussion that I should move into another thread?
                                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X