Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting Ahead, Cashwise.

^ Exactly.

It isn't that money doesn't matter. A decrepit, shabby school with beat up, out of date textbooks creates the impression that education isn't important. Not having materials, like paper and pencils for kids who really can't afford them, is a problem.

But a person can get an education, even under extremely bad circumstances - if the right attitude is there. Attitude toward education comes partly from ones environment. Student's in my classes with alcoholic or drug addicted parents, from families with long histories of joblessness start out behind the 8-ball right away, no doubt about it.

"Culture" kicks into it too. Forget what teacher's tell kids about the value of a good education. I'm a 50 year old bald guy, and no kid cares much about what I have to tell them about that - not when all the "cool" people who sing to them, or act in movies for them, are telling them something else.

When was the last time you saw somebody in a movie who embodied the much maligned "Protestant work ethic" - work hard and get ahead? Generally, when you see a depiction of a person who is trying to get ahead, you will see that person depicted as a slimy, back stabbing bastard. Really, in real life, it's usually not that way at all. But people only know what they are told.

However, a person can change ones attitude - it is certainly possible for a person from terrible circumstances to decide that he/she does not not like the life that is currently available to him/her, and decide to change - it happens ALL the time.

Ultimately, no matter what the circumstances, the responsibility for ones life rests on the individual. Change perceptions and the world changes with them.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

[quote author=B. de Corbin link=topic=1384.msg29161#msg29161 date=1295202619]
      When was the last time you saw somebody in a movie who embodied the much maligned "Protestant work ethic" - work hard and get ahead? Generally, when you see a depiction of a person who is trying to get ahead, you will see that person depicted as a slimy, back stabbing bastard. Really, in real life, it's usually not that way at all. But people only know what they are told.
      [/quote]

I don't think it's just media that's responsible for this, though. I know a lot of people my age (mid to late 30s & into the early 40s) who watched their parents struggle constantly and continuously - and never even own their own homes (which is the benchmark of the American dream). It isn't so much that the movies are unrealistic - they show people struggle and struggle and lose, which is what so many of us saw in real life. So, yeah, in real life it is only the drug dealers, mob lords and corporate fat cats who get ahead, not the workaholic parents. Even a lot of 'normal' people who perform altruistic acts after they make their money seem to have done some pretty underhanded things to get where they are (I'm thinking about Bill Gates).
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I don't know. I know lots of well of and wealthy people get ahead by just hard work. I guess I have a different picture. I think most people are relatively honest and only a few bad seeds spoil the impression of everyone. Even my family, who I wouldn't call "wealthy" but are certainly well off....they didn't start that way and both my parents worked hard to achieve what they have.

Comment

I don't have anything intelligent to add to this conversation, but this:
          [quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=1384.msg28488#msg28488 date=1294952084]I think it's really important to differentiate between "broke" and "poor" though. If you're broke you're probably just living off less than you're used to but you're not poor by any means. If you're poor, you're struggling to feed yourself. Big difference.
          [/quote]
          freaked me the hell out. I'm averaging one meal of cereal a day because everything else to too expensive and this damn bulk box of cereal needs to last, and I'm living off of people's couches/spare beds, but I don't consider myself poor. Maybe that's my stubborn refusal to believe I am, but the term "poor" seems so... melodramatic for someone who is sitting here on the Internet (even if it isn't MY internet).

For me, though, screw getting ahead. I'm with Thalassa here: "Forget getting ahead, I just want to get caught up." I wish working hard would make it work, but I think it's a lot of luck, too. Education budget cuts did in my position as a teacher's aide, and when you can't get a job (and don't really live in an area where there's a lot of odd jobs for spare cash), it doesn't matter how hard you work or can work, especially when you have doctor's bills and medication you need to pay for (which I do). And sometimes distasteful is all you can do to get back on your feet. Doesn't even have to be illegal, really, or slimy and backstabbing to get stuck in something terrible. Right now I'm stuck doing fetish modeling (which pays better than fashion/art modeling, which is what I used to be involved in on the side--and, lets face it, there's more of a demand for fetish than art). Not something I'm proud of, but the only way I can catch up given that, even though I'm applying for real jobs, I can't afford to wait to start one. I need money NOW, not in the anonymous future when I finally get an actual job.

Comment

[quote author=Anu link=topic=1384.msg30388#msg30388 date=1295886300]
            I don't have anything intelligent to add to this conversation, but this:freaked me the hell out. I'm averaging one meal of cereal a day because everything else to too expensive and this damn bulk box of cereal needs to last, and I'm living off of people's couches/spare beds, but I don't consider myself poor. Maybe that's my stubborn refusal to believe I am, but the term "poor" seems so... melodramatic for someone who is sitting here on the Internet (even if it isn't MY internet).

[/quote]

It IS relative though. I'm not going to argue with you because of that. I know I'm not going to make any friends by saying this, but I grew up fairly well off (I guess by definition my family is "wealthy" though they live in a fairly normal house and have normal lives). So I'd personally feel pretty poor if I couldn't afford to eat. So that's where I'm getting that from. But I guess it's all about mindset. At the onset of the financial crisis my family was always complaining about being 'broke" which is such a joke because even though they lost a lot of money there is no way in hell they were "broke" or even close. And sometimes they do it and they've taken like, 3 vacations that year. Sometimes my parents kind of bother me that way. Neither of them grew up too well off (my mom even grew up on welfare) and we were well off growing up but they didn't really pass into the very well off stage until I was in my teens, so you'd think they'd remember what "broke" actually was.

Comment

Working...
            X