X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: was wondering

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
    I think that destiny is mearly what could happen ... We choose our path with each decision of action or inaction ... There are endless possible outcomes to any situation ...

Now we might have a propensity for certain actions or be of a certain mindset and/or abilities which in turn would have fair odds of certain outcomes ...
    Definitely.

I get premonitions sometimes (at random), and I still strongly believe in free will. Some things are more likely to happen than others (because of habits, personality, etc). Like, I can dream that I'll spill my coffee all over my blouse walking on the way to work, and it's likely that this will happen because a) I drink coffee on my way to work every morning, and b) I walk to work. BUT if, for some reason, I decide to drink my coffee at home, or drive to work, then the outcome changes.

Comment

Tragedies also make for a good comparison. Thanks Corbin, I hadn't even considered that parallel. Making choices that increase rather than decrease options is a good idea both in Chess and life. Another point is not to resign oneself to an unwelcome position lightly. The example I made predetermines one move, after which relative freedom is regained and life comes with a lot more options than a chess game.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I usually think of destiny as a probable outcome. If you go along this path, this is your destination... course if you deviate from the path you'll end up with another destination.

You could look back at your life and see that you always play a certain role in other's lives. It could be looked at as you having a "job" in life or meant for a certain "job". Find yourself always putting others together, forcing them down a certain life path, natural healer of the sick? Those could be looked at in a round about way as destiny I guess
        -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
        (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Comment

I believe in the concept of wyrd; it often gets translated as 'fate' but that doesn't quite cover it. Wyrd connects everything and everyone in an ever-changing web, and every choice/action you make trembles that web. Which basically means that every choice you make will influence your future choices, as will the choices of others; however, the important thing is that you still have a choice.
          "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

Well, personally, I have always thought we are all heading in the same direction, but how we get there is up to us. So I'd say yes. X
            "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Oo oo, I have an answer! Lol. Sadly, my favorite analogy for fate/destiny came from one of my favorite fantasy/romance authors. The introduction of Infinity by Sherillyn Kenyon states my veiws almost perfectly. You sitting at a train track and the little lights are flashing, but you can't see the train yet so you can make a couple choices. Stay sitting or cross the tracks. You cross the tracks, but your car breaks down on them. Two more choices, you can wait it out and accept your fate, or try to get out in time. Trains on the way. You decide to try to get out but your seatbelts stuck, the doors locked, etc. And you can't get out on time.

Or you could have waited, but just as the trains approaching another car rear ends you and pushes you onto the tracks.

No matter what choice you make, how you get there, if you're destined to be hit by the train, you will be hit. Everything you do between your last point of meddling and this one doesn't matter, you can do anything you want between these important events, but the important events will happen.

My own scenario for explaining in a bit different way. Say tomorrow you're destined to meet someone, you meet them, but the way you treat them determines what becomes of the relationship between the two of you. You could become best friends, hate each other's guts, fall in love, never see each other again. What becomes of the situation is up to you, but fate would force you into that situation no matter what.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I think we have choices to make in life and that they have consequences, i used to believe in fate but now im more inclined to believe the gods give us the freedom to choose our own destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by pathwalker234 View Post
                  I think we have choices to make in life and that they have consequences, i used to believe in fate but now im more inclined to believe the gods give us the freedom to choose our own destiny.
                  Damned decent of them...
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
                    I believe in the balance of choice and destiny. It is hard for me to think that something IS or ISN'T 100% of the time. That is the problem I had with Christianity. In Pagan philosophy everything has an equal opposite. Choice : Destiny, Evil : Good, Male : Female.
                    I so beleive this. I sort of believe that destiny is what we were ment to do, we have the choice of getting there with the everyday choices that we make. Some people get there, other people don't.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Working...
                    X