Banners that make noise need to die and other internet annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Banners that make noise need to die and other internet annoyances

Bahhhh Vanish OxiClean, why are you doing this? You're a REAL company! Don't have two banners that I can't turn off play simultaneously! You can't even turn off the noise, and they're playing two at once, slightly out of sync, on a LOOP.

I almost want to NOT buy their stain remover products (even though they're good) just because of this. And I want to write them and tell them about it.

That's right, I'll boycott a product if I hate its advertising enough.

Comment

Something is wonky in the connection for speakers on my computer, bought new speakers and they still didn't work. One day my granddaughter was using her earphones plugged into the jack on the front face of the computer and I went out and bought my own set of earphones. I only put them on when I want to listen to something - so I can ignore ads and jingles and other annoyances by just leaving the earphones off.
      ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
      - robert anton wilson -

Comment

I hate sites that are hijacked by those fake scanner things and no one seems to have caught it. Then when you try to hit the back button it doesn't work. Now I probably have a friggin' million viruses on my computer. On top of that I was downloading a file I really wanted and took all day to get anywhere near completed >
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Solution.

AdBlock Plus, which can be installed as an add-on for Mozilla Firefox, which is 10000000x better than Internet Explorer anyway. My techy boyfriend calls IE 'the Swiss Cheese of all browsers'.

Also, have a decent antivirus program, it would save you all a lot of trouble. Avast! Antivirus and free and so far I've had no problems with it.

Or Linux. With a Linux operating system you simply don't need antivirus or spam protection as no-one can be arsed to write viruses for them. You still get pop-ups but they can do no harm, and if you have AdBlock Plus then you're sorted. :P

That said, Macs, which run on a UNIX system like Linux, don't get viruses either- it can be done, but again no-one can be bothered.
          "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

I use Mac.....totally won over from windows! I agree...it's just a lot more secure.

I'm a Chrome girl! To add my two cents about harmful pop ups, I find that Chrome works pretty well for blocking them. And also, things usually open into a new tab automatically and you can always click on "close tab" in the menu to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenix View Post
              Solution.

AdBlock Plus, which can be installed as an add-on for Mozilla Firefox, which is 10000000x better than Internet Explorer anyway. My techy boyfriend calls IE 'the Swiss Cheese of all browsers'.

Also, have a decent antivirus program, it would save you all a lot of trouble. Avast! Antivirus and free and so far I've had no problems with it.

Or Linux. With a Linux operating system you simply don't need antivirus or spam protection as no-one can be arsed to write viruses for them. You still get pop-ups but they can do no harm, and if you have AdBlock Plus then you're sorted. :P

That said, Macs, which run on a UNIX system like Linux, don't get viruses either- it can be done, but again no-one can be bothered.
              Thing is I used to have Avast and it stopped updating (so I got a new scanner and caught the bugs it didn't) and I have have AdBlock. It wasn't an ad. It was the actual site.
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

Hmmmm. Not sure why Avast! would stop updating, there's a few other free ones you could try though. And admittedly you can't do very much if it's the actual site XD
                "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

I've always had good experiences using Norton Internet Security for blocking ugly stuff from websites. I've used other software (and been straight up HACKED by a KID who stalked me for a time afterwards), but Norton is the only one I've found effective.

Comment

Working...
                  X