Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book of Shadows: Tips, Tricks, and Crafts for creating your own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book of Shadows: Tips, Tricks, and Crafts for creating your own...

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
    Satanism as it is usually understood and practised in the modern day is LaVeyan Satanism, founded in 1966 by Anton LaVey. It is an occult religion with the same two main roots as Neopaganism: the Western occult tradition (which experienced a revival in the late 19th century through the 20th century), and the American 1960s Counterculture. It also practises magic, but with stronger roots in Crowley and Hermetic Golden Dawn mysticism, and with highly egoist philosophy resembling Ayn Rand. I wouldn't call their brand of magic "bad"; just highly focused on the Self.
    I, myself, have always wondered what the enochian chants at the back of the Satanic Bible were really for. I like your description of Levayan Satanism. Couldnt have said it better, myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicariousparabol View Post
      I, myself, have always wondered what the enochian chants at the back of the Satanic Bible were really for. I like your description of Levayan Satanism. Couldnt have said it better, myself!
      On most other sites, I describe in brief as "Ayn Rand with Western Occultism".
      And that's pretty much what it is/was. I only say "was" because I don't know exactly what's changed since LaVey and now. And I don't know too much about the offshoots, some of which take a more literal, theistic approach.

Comment

I'm new to the site, I just read over this forum because I was trying to get ideas on creating my BoS. I think that after reading everyone's suggestions, that I am going to make a scrapbook type binder with page protectors for all of my information. It is important to me that I can move things around so that they are easy to find. I think that I'm also going to make a BoS light, if you will. I'm going to make a small book with just information that I might need when I'm out and about. I may not need the rede, that cookie recipe, how I made my offering stones, and my tarot readings when I'm spending the night at a friends house or hiking in the woods.but I may want that poem I wrote about springtime, or the charge to the goddess, or some nature specific information like pictures of plants to gather. So basically I'd have a binder for reference, then a small, condensed, portable version just for carrying around places. I'm also in the process of making a portable "altoids tin" altar as well...small pentacle, small candle, matches, crystal, god and goddess symbol, sachet of salt, etc. Whatever I decide to put in it

~^_^~ Great thread!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elora View Post
          So basically I'd have a binder for reference, then a small, condensed, portable version just for carrying around places. I'm also in the process of making a portable "altoids tin" altar as well...small pentacle, small candle, matches, crystal, god and goddess symbol, sachet of salt, etc. Whatever I decide to put in it

~^_^~ Great thread!!
          I agree with all of that. That "altar tins" thing is a great idea.

Comment

I'm working on my Book of Shadows. I've had all types in the past, but I have found that the 3-ring binder works best for me. I'm OCD and like to have a place for everything but sometimes those places need to be rearranged. Plus, typing everything out just looks neater than sloppy hardwriting. And if you're all artsy fartsy, you can still personalize it with pictures, things you've collected, etc.

But before I start working on what will become my actual BOS, I'm keeping a journal-type of book so that I can collect all the information I'm learning, as well as writing down my experiences. Once I fill up this book, I'm going to flip through it and type up everything that I think is relevant and print those things off to add to my BOS. I can't wait to have it finished!

Comment

I'm working on my Book of Shadows. I've had all types in the past, but I have found that the 3-ring binder works best for me. I'm OCD and like to have a place for everything but sometimes those places need to be rearranged. Plus, typing everything out just looks neater than sloppy hardwriting. And if you're all artsy fartsy, you can still personalize it with pictures, things you've collected, etc.

But before I start working on what will become my actual BOS, I'm keeping a journal-type of book so that I can collect all the information I'm learning, as well as writing down my experiences. Once I fill up this book, I'm going to flip through it and type up everything that I think is relevant and print those things off to add to my BOS. I can't wait to have it finished!
              I hear you xD I prefer the 3-ring binder as well. I tried doing a bound journal/book, but it just didn't work out. I also have a website where I keep my information as well, just in case I lose my physical copy or vice versa.

Comment

Wow, such great advice, always interesting to see what other people do! I use a decorative A5 bound pad for ceremony, but yeah 2 large ring bindedrs for practicality!

Comment

I read this whole thread and had to comment. I was originally looking for some inspiration on how to organize my BOS (which I am pleased to say I think I've come up with a good system).

I am in the process of making a few videos about my journey and experience with my Book of Shadows. I have been through 4 different types. I started on this journey 10 years ago when I was 14. I waited until I was 18 to make my first book. Before that I kept things in a 3 ring binder but never really kept those things. I bought a black 8x11 blank book with a gold triquetra on the front.
                  Then I moved onto one a little more handmade and crafty and after deciding that would be my personal journal I tried a post-bound album and page protectors. You know, something a little more sturdy. The page protectors turned out to be horrible because I tea/coffee stained my pages. :/ I'm still using the post bound album idea but I'm taking it to a whole new level. If you'd like message me and I will forward you the URL's when the videos are finished so you can see what is going on. I'm sure they won't let me post links for you guys to watch them.

Comment

Thank you so much! I didn't know where to begin. I do now.
                    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I myself attempted to make a Book of Shadows (I have many spells and visions stored in emails and attachments that I sent to myself). That didn't work out so well. However, I think it might be awhile because my entries go as far back as 2007. I think when my life settles down and I get to where I want/need to be, I'll end up gathering it all together again

Comment

Thanks very much!
                        I use my Book of Shadows for writing down mostly my practices and different forms of healing using herbs, or different kinds of food in specific circumstances and the restrictions in those situations. That's certain to come in handy for me in a couple of good years.
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

It's funny this got bumped as I was reading through this thread yesterday. I have a few beautiful journals but I can't print or write because it gives me tendonitis! Also, I type much faster than I can write. I decided to use an Evernote account. With Evernote you can create as many notebooks as you want, search them, tag them, copy and paste, and print out notes when you want to. The notes are also synced so they're available from any computer or smartphone or online as needed. I have a Daily Journal, a Dream Journal, and a Book of Shadows for saving prayers, rituals, and spells.

Comment

Lately I've been having daydreams of one day creating a BoS that is basically... a whole, polished, completed project (rather than an ever-shifting and updated work-in-progress). I don't know if I'll ever get to that point, but it would be fun to have the drawings, calligraphy, organization, and leather-bound piece of art.

Comment

I have had specific dreams many times along the months. They were very vague, but I knew what would come after each.
                              For instance, I know that something good will happen after having a dream where I drive a bulky car with a machine gun on its roof. It's so odd, isn't it?
                              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Kala View Post
                                It's funny this got bumped as I was reading through this thread yesterday. I have a few beautiful journals but I can't print or write because it gives me tendonitis! Also, I type much faster than I can write. I decided to use an Evernote account. With Evernote you can create as many notebooks as you want, search them, tag them, copy and paste, and print out notes when you want to. The notes are also synced so they're available from any computer or smartphone or online as needed. I have a Daily Journal, a Dream Journal, and a Book of Shadows for saving prayers, rituals, and spells.
                                Do you know off hand if Evernote stores files in encrypted format?

Comment

Working...
                                X