Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book of Shadows: Tips, Tricks, and Crafts for creating your own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book of Shadows: Tips, Tricks, and Crafts for creating your own...

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
    I hear you xD I prefer the 3-ring binder as well. I tried doing a bound journal/book, but it just didn't work out. I also have a website where I keep my information as well, just in case I lose my physical copy or vice versa.
    I don't even think I could even try a bound journal/book at this point as I am constantly adding stuff or changing. not as much as before but still. 3 ring is what I do. the wooden BOS with Chicago screws would be a dream BoS.
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Originally posted by Keldorn View Post
      Do you know off hand if Evernote stores files in encrypted format?
      It doesn't store files in encrypted format by default. You apparently can encrypt some text in a note, but not attachments. I'm not sure how reliable it is though.

Comment

Good to know, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kala View Post
          I decided to use an Evernote account. With Evernote you can create as many notebooks as you want, search them, tag them, copy and paste, and print out notes when you want to. The notes are also synced so they're available from any computer or smartphone or online as needed. I have a Daily Journal, a Dream Journal, and a Book of Shadows for saving prayers, rituals, and spells.
          Thanks for recommending this I've been using a journal/diary app on my tablet in a similar manner, but it doesn't sync with other devices unless you pay a fee. I downloaded Evernote and have started the process of switching over; it's a lot better than the app I had been using.

I used to use sketch books. I'd worry so much about making each page pretty that I'd spend too much time on the planning that I wouldn't record fast enough. I lost a lot of dreams and thoughts that I wish I had written down in the pursuit of perfection.

I like being able to tag stuff and organize it and have the portability; although I do miss having a real world book to look at. At some point, maybe I'll do one of those self publishing things and get it printed up with a pretty bound cover

Comment

I am glad I found this thread! I've been considering making my own book for a while now and I think I know how to get started.

Comment

Has anyone ever thought of using a regular scrap book? Or would that be not be enough pages?

Comment

My BOS is a black binder which I have put dividers in to organize my information. I'm still working on it.
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                  My BOS is a black binder which I have put dividers in to organize my information. I'm still working on it.
                  So maybe it might turn useful to divine my whole book of shadows into specific parts. Like herbalism, rituals, energy work...
                  What do you think?
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by ARDragonFish View Post
                    Has anyone ever thought of using a regular scrap book? Or would that be not be enough pages?
                    I am using one of those scrape books you can add pages to. Unless you are going to do smaller books for each subject I think a regular book would fill up fast.

Comment

Thanks for this! I've started mine finally, and for now I'm crafting it as a 3-ring binder with loose leaf paper until I get to the point where I want something more intentional and have everything sorted. Kind of a rough draft since I'm still learning so much. Then I may follow the idea of several color-coded bound journal volumes by topic.

I'm also using this as an opportunity to re-learn cursive writing. I haven't used the skill since I was probably 12 years old, when computer typing became more common in schools. This is going to be a long a painful process haha~

Comment

Just at tip for the ones thinking about a digital version and also happens to have an ebook reader. The freeware program Sigil, which makes epub documents, is very easy to write in, as in really really easy, and it is much easier to bring along an ebook reader than a laptop (I bring mine along in busses and trains and no one can see if you are reading the latest sci-fi book or a book about paganism). If you happen to have an ereader which do not support epub an other freware program called Calibre can convert epubs (and it can also convert into pdfs, which is handy for print out).

Comment

I've been using a 3-ring binder with parchment paper as the base of my pages and card stock singed by flames for an older, ancient feel. It's sprinkled with different herbs, images, flowers, wax seals, envelopes to keep blessings, spells, prayers, and offerings within, etc. It's kind of like a [scrap]Book of Shadows. Hahaha.

Comment

i just recently got a red leather bound book ive filled about 8 pages so far

Comment

I have a 5-inch 3-ring binder with plastic page inserts. I'd say about a third of the book is filled with general food recipes. My boyfriend doesn't even know what it really is-he just thinks that's where I keep all my food stuff!

I wonder how many of you have a large section devoted to cooking/household stuff like homemade cleaning products/how to get stains out of various things in your BOS? I showed a friend once and she said my book didn't feel magical at all-only like a list of boring tasks and drudgery. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by KarrinMurphy View Post
                                I have a 5-inch 3-ring binder with plastic page inserts. I'd say about a third of the book is filled with general food recipes. My boyfriend doesn't even know what it really is-he just thinks that's where I keep all my food stuff!

I wonder how many of you have a large section devoted to cooking/household stuff like homemade cleaning products/how to get stains out of various things in your BOS? I showed a friend once and she said my book didn't feel magical at all-only like a list of boring tasks and drudgery. Haha.

Lol...my blog is called "musings of a kitchen witch", but its mostly practical stuff
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X