Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg7556#msg7556 date=1288255952]
    What is the worst insult you've ever received from someone? Were you able to forgive them?
    [/quote]

Being told after three years of dating, and after a half year of living together that, and I quote "I've never really meant it when I said 'I love you'." - for the first time in my life, I slapped someone. And it came from six feet away, traveling from my arms which had previously been dangling by my side, contacted with his face, spun his entire head around, and left a handprint for the better part of the day.

I've never really forgiven him, but the last time I spoke to him was over a year ago, too.

Mostly art.

Comment

What is the worst insult you've ever received from someone? Were you able to forgive them?
      [/quote]

MIL can deliver some zingers, with a smile on her face. Right up there would be "Oh dear, your room looks like your old apartment" while I'm in the middle of moving out, and, last week, when she asked how things were going with the new apartment, and I said I hadn't gotten as much done as I would of liked, "Oh, well, sometimes you really need to just get off the computer for a little bit, you know?"

I blame her meds...it keeps me from wanting to deck her.

The most painful, though, would be my brother telling me that ultimately the reason he wouldn't help us get into the apartment wasn't because things are tight for him (although they are), but because, based on events that took place when I was a teen, almost eight years ago now, "he just doesn't trust me".

I can forgive it, but it's hard to forget. I go out of my way to be kind to him and his wife, instead.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[/quote]

I was a fat, geeky kid with glasses, anything anyone says to me can't stand up to the calloused emotional skin I have. When people try to insult me, I'm like, "C'mon, I was a fat kid who wore glasses, you've got to do better than that!"

It does bother me when people call me a 'retard' when I'm just trying to do my job. I'm not the one who makes the rules, I just have to follow them. Every job has some retarded rules - don't take it out on me.

The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Someone called me a bitch once. And it hurt me because...normally I am a bitch. But this particular time.....wait...no..I was a bitch. n/m. :P
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

my teacher, in grade 3 called me a stupid, ugly mongoloid because I got some letters reversed in a sentence I was copying from the blackboard.

I am dyslexic.( and LOVE spell check ;D )

OMG...case in point...I spelled dyslexic wrong ...ROFL !
            What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I still get stern words at times because of my dyslexia ... And it really gets my goat (no offense Medusa) :-* when doctors first ask you a buncha questions then don't believe what you tell them ...
              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[/quote]

I think I may have once felt really insulted, but it wasn't memorable enough for me to remember it.
                When someone manages to piss me off, I think I do more of the insulting. :P
                But that hasn't happened too often, actually...

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg7726#msg7726 date=1288289494]
                Someone called me a bitch once. And it hurt me because...normally I am a bitch. But this particular time.....wait...no..I was a bitch. n/m. :P
                [/quote]

...awesome!
                And now I will express a quote in mime...

Comment

Do you think your parents made any major mistakes in how they raised you? If so, how did it affect you?
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg8760#msg8760 date=1288602616]
                    Do you think your parents made any major mistakes in how they raised you? If so, how did it affect you?
                    [/quote]

hmm... only that I think my mom is hiding some family history from me, probably thinking she is protecting me, but it really is only holding me back slightly.
                    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[/quote]

Dad was old school - he taught me that the way to get ahead was to do my work and keep my mouth shut. It worked for him, but times changed, and I had to learn how to go out on a limb and take chances.

The effect was that I didn't get a chance to try out a lot of things which I wanted to do until later in life. I spent a lot of time with my head down, wondering why I wasn't getting anywhere.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

[/quote]

I love my parents and I think they have and are continuing to do their best, but I would say that I get my emotional problems (mood swings and self-esteem issues etc.) off of my mum. I think she showed that to me too much as I grew up and so I had no self-esteem and worry so much about little unimportant things. I also find it hard to let go of things for the same reason.
                        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

[/quote] It's quite the toss-up, there's been so many. I would say the worst, though, was likely my mother calling me a 'f***in' dirty c***sucker'.

As for "forgiving"? One would have to give me examples of a solid definition. I most certainly have never said, "I forgive you," for it. But, on that same note, I don't hold it against her, either. It's just a piece of unpleasant history that's best left in the past. Even though it was just a couple years ago.

[/quote]

Mistakes, eh?

My dad appeared to be an unemotional machine. [Real] Men don't SHOW emotions and most definitely NEVER cry. Kind of thing... even with broken legs, cracked ribs or family dying; tears are never shed. Is that a mistake?

My mother has just the right amount of brain damage to have made my childhood an inconsistent string of repetitive joys and recurring accusations (which may explain, to people, why I have SO much trouble with being accused of doing shit I ain't doing). Is that a mistake?

No. I think they made mistakes but that they did the best they knew how, with what they had. I know I've made mistakes, as a parent. It's part of life, it just happens because NOBODY is perfect.

How does it, or did it affect me? Along with the things that weren't mistakes, it rounded out the kid that became the man I am. I'm over-emotional, not nice, can be very vicious when I set my mind to it and have a ton of excess compassion. I am a walking contradiction. Just like everyone else.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

[/quote]

No major mistakes.
                            I think they stayed together longer than they should have, but that was when it was common to 'stay together for the child(ren)'
                            What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

[quote author=Celest link=topic=62.msg8823#msg8823 date=1288620143]
                              No major mistakes.
                              I think they stayed together longer than they should have, but that was when it was common to 'stay together for the child(ren)'
                              [/quote]

ditto, though I'll add that my dad probably should have stopped drinking sooner, which would have likely made him a better parent...
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

[/quote]

According to my mother, the very act of keeping me when she found out she was pregnant was a mistake. I was a birth control baby with her second husband. My dad never really grew up. For as liberal and free-thinking as my parents were, they were also angry people who at turns abused or neglected me.

'nuff said.
                                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                                X