Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg10323#msg10323 date=1288990055]
    What are your thoughts on lending money to relatives/loved ones/friends?
    [/quote]

I don't like to, but I always say yes.

Mostly art.

Comment

Unless it is my parents (whom I GIVE not loan) I don't. Occasionally I will pay for something if my mate has no money, but there is an unspoken rule that next time he/she will pay. Just works out well.
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

[/quote]

I don't loan money to anyone. I have seen so many problems occur because of friends or family 'loaning' money to other people, or co-signing on things like car loans. It's just a good way to cause bad blood.

I will, if I have it, give money to friends or family. I'll also help people out w/groceries or bills, or treat friends to food or movies. It's few & far between, though, because I'm broke most of the time.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg9853#msg9853 date=1288851826]
          Has your greatest fear ever come true?
          [/quote]

The morning of January 13, 2009.

[/quote]

Wait... "lend"? LMAO! Wishful thinking. If I try to lend money to a relative, with just a few exceptions, it would be more accurate to say "throw money at" or just plain "give". I'm not keen on it, obviously. However, money means very little to me... if I have some and someone else needs it? I can part with it, easy enough. Especially family.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I give money to my mom when she needs it. And she does the same for me when I need it. Neither of us ever have asked for it back. I have lent money as in going out and treating a friend. I don't expect any money back. That way I never have to stress.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[/quote]

I loan money to friends, etc.,, but never more than I can afford to give away - that way, if I don't get it back, I don't worry about it. It evens out in the long run.

Maybe.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

What ^ said ... I never give/lend more than I can afford to be without ...

Well, maybe once in a while I get snookered into parting with a bit more than I should ... Buyt not too often ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

What can be done to promote tolerance and stop bullying in schools?
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Nothing, you cannot. It's a question of dominance, because schools are by design an environment of competition. Everyone wants their place under the sun, and will use every trick to achieve their goals, that includes bullying, or hating a group to be part of another group, for social and personal safety.

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg10583#msg10583 date=1289120018]
                      [/quote]

Simple. Discipline and education, plus hold parents accountable for BEING a parent.

Crack down on bad behavior, at home and in public. Banish elitism and entitlement as well as instruct the differences in context of society - as opposed to similarity and assimilation.

Educate. And hold people accountable for their F'ing actions, for once.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

[/quote]

this:
                        [quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=62.msg10590#msg10590 date=1289123612]
                        Simple. Discipline and education, plus hold parents accountable for BEING a parent.

Crack down on bad behavior, at home and in public. Banish elitism and entitlement as well as instruct the differences in context of society - as opposed to similarity and assimilation.

Educate. And hold people accountable for their F'ing actions, for once.
                        [/quote]

And, in the cases of teachers and administrators that know stuff like this is going on and turn a blind eye, fire 'em.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

[/quote]

I think the only way this can be accomplished is if schools were far more regimented. No unsupervised free time whatsoever. It would mean having a good number of staff to make sure no child could be cornered or isolated by other children away from an adult's line of sight, including before and after school, on walking routes and at the bus stops.

When I was a kid, I never got beat up or bullied during class - it was always between classes, at recess, before and after school, on the bus - the times when there was no one around to see or stop anything from happening.
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

There have been some really good things said.

I think it's also a parent's responsibility to teach their children, both how to stand up for themselves, get an adult, or tell an adult that there's a problem, and how to not become a bully themselves.
                            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=62.msg10606#msg10606 date=1289143923]
                              I think the only way this can be accomplished is if schools were far more regimented. No unsupervised free time whatsoever. It would mean having a good number of staff to make sure no child could be cornered or isolated by other children away from an adult's line of sight, including before and after school, on walking routes and at the bus stops.

When I was a kid, I never got beat up or bullied during class - it was always between classes, at recess, before and after school, on the bus - the times when there was no one around to see or stop anything from happening. [/quote]
                              I think one solution may be installing more security cameras in schools. So even if the person isn't stopped in the act of bullying, they will still receive a punishment for it.
                              Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=62.msg10614#msg10614 date=1289145593]
                                There have been some really good things said.

I think it's also a parent's responsibility to teach their children, both how to stand up for themselves, get an adult, or tell an adult that there's a problem, and how to not become a bully themselves.
                                [/quote]
                                I agree with ya ... And as has been said, bullying is in every school ... I am not saying it is right but I am saying that it is always gonna happen ... The more a restrictive the environment the more the bullies will have to think about how to get away with it ... I got picked on a lot when I was in one school because there were so few of us that were of a light skinned persuasion ...

You can be over protective ... Exposure to facts of life are necessary for good development ... I hear all too often about people who want to make "the playing field" even for kids in school ... BS ... If a kid is smart then push him ... If he needs help then help him ... The adult world has no even playing field ... Competition is everywhere ...

*gets off high horse before I get too carried away ...
                                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                                X