Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

Which is a more hurtful word: Stupid or Fuck?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg26682#msg26682 date=1294100819]
      [/quote]

Stupid Fuck.

Seriously though, neither--both depend in the context of use, and whom they are being directed at.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Stupid.
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Stupid.

My oldest sister has dyslexia and probably a few other learning disabilities on top of it. She spent her entire childhood hearing about how she is stupid (along with dumb, and retarded), from our mom, her dad, her teachers, her friends, her friends' parents. The word was hammered into her multiple times a day. No matter what she did right that word was a constant reminder of everything wrong she ever did. She was in her late 30s before she ever tried to be anything more than 'stupid', and she's still struggling with reversing that crippling affirmation.

'Stupid' is a curse word, in the most literal sense of 'curse'. While I often say that 'I hate stupid people', I would never call anyone 'stupid' to their face. I also realize that I don't consider people 'stupid', it's the things they do or say that are stupid. It's a dirty word in my household, and the households of my sisters. 'Stupid' will get your mouth washed out with soap while 'fuck' is merely a useful noun/adjective/verb/adverb.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[/quote]

depends on the context, but I don't like either
            What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

I'd rather have someone tell me to "fuck off" than to have them call me stupid. I may not be Dr Michio Kaku, but I'm not stupid.
              Sleep, my friend, and you will see
              That dream is my reality

Comment

Stupid
                Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

Comment

[/quote]

If the words are being used toward me: stupid. If someone said "fuck you" to me, I'd just blow them a kiss. "You're stupid" would bring out an entirely different response.

Comment

So how come we are ok with letting kids call each other stupid but get upset if they cuss?
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg26736#msg26736 date=1294132391]
                      So how come we are ok with letting kids call each other stupid but get upset if they cuss?
                      [/quote]

I am not. I taught my children that it was very mean to call someone stupid. "Sometimes people do stupid things, but you should not call them stupid."
                      What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

[/quote]

Who says *we* are okay with that?

I'm not okay with my kids saying either one.

(although, at this point in his linguistic development, truck, duck and sometimes stuck all sound like fuck if Collin says them...)
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Because most adult are condtioned to have a stronger reaction to curse words, as oppose to none-curse insult.One kid calls another stupid, "Meh. they're just kids being kids." A kid calls another a fucker,"Oh dear gods no. this is a sign of the decline of civilization."
                          Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

[/quote]

Stupid is a word that is used to describe people, actions and all sorts of things. The word itself isn't the problem, however insulting others and hurting them with your words is what the real problem is.

Actually, children can insult others without using any word whatsoever. If they point and laugh at the fat kid, this can be very harmful and insulting, though they didn't use any word.
                            [4:82]

Comment

[/quote]

Like I mentioned above, in the homes of my sisters, 'stupid' is the absolute worst word you can use. It will get your mouth washed out with soap. My nieces & nephews could call each other 'fucking cunts' all day long & no one would bat an eye, but call someone a 'stupid' whatever & woe betide them. The attitude they all have about the 's'-word has carried over to friends, and I've seen it happen.
                              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[/quote]I'm not ... Both are wrong to me ...
                                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                                X