Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg26736#msg26736 date=1294132391]
    So how come we are ok with letting kids call each other stupid but get upset if they cuss?
    [/quote]

Because of the overuse of swear words. Stupid is actually hurtful, whereas cussing is just edgey slang.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Do/did you like to hear about your partner's exes? Does it make you jealous or forge greater intimacy?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg27199#msg27199 date=1294373753]
        Do/did you like to hear about your partner's exes? Does it make you jealous or forge greater intimacy?
        [/quote]

Well I knew about his ex because me and my boyfriend went to school together, and he knew about mine because my ex was his best friend and I was best friends with Dale so he knew about everyone before we got together. I don't particularly care because he was very much in love with me while he was with his ex and was vocal about it.
        I think that if I hadn't known him while we were seeing other people it would be different, I wouldn't want to know, but because I was there and saw it for what it was I'm fine with it. X
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I like knowing a bit about them, what they were like, etc. Too much information makes me uncomfortable.
          Sleep, my friend, and you will see
          That dream is my reality

Comment

[/quote]

I don't mind hearing about them, as long as my partner doesn't get that twinkle in his eye or longing in his voice that says "Gee, I wish were still with him."
            Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
            -Erik Erikson

Comment

[/quote]

Neither. Pretty much a sense of indifference. What she did before was as much her business as what I did before is mine.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

[/quote]

It depends. Previous relationships I don't mind hearing about, but when he tells me of "that one night with the blonde German girl..." he gets a tone to his voice that I'm not too fond of.

Vice versa - I'm not sure, he knows quite a bit about my exes, but I've dated for so long that they kinda come part and parcel with stories about my life.

Mostly art.

Comment

[/quote]

I think hearing about my partner's exes made me more apathetic than anything else. It was fine with me when they'd talk about their exes because I talk about about my exes too. I've had partners that tried to make me jealous by talking about their exes but it never worked. I'm not a jealous person. I think it made them mad that I'd never get jealous, but again, not I'm a jealous person. I think it made my ex mad that I didn't get jealous though. It seemed like she'd purposely tell me things trying to make me jealous but it'd never work.
                  It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

[/quote]

Hearing about meaningful exes doesn't bother me, because they're a part of why you are the way you are in a relationship, or at least can be. Chance encounters, bragging, or comparisons help no one.
                    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

[/quote]Hearing about what the exes did wrong is a good thing ... You get a heads up on what not to do, or at least minimize ... Same with what they did right ... Sometimes tho I would rather hear "I like this" rather than "Joe used to do such-and-such and I really liked it" ... A lot depends on the presentation ...
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Do you have any racist friends?
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=62.msg27636#msg27636 date=1294567052]
                          [/quote]

No. If someone I consider a friend proves to me to be a racist, I unfriend them IRL. I won't tolerate it. And if my friends are racist, they do a damned good job of hiding it from me.

Unfortunately, I do have racist coworkers and relatives. I'm not afraid of letting them know my opinion of racism, either, much to the mother-in-law's eternal dismay.
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[/quote]

not that I am aware of, however, I do have racist relatives.
                            What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Overtly racist? no

But most people have some bigoted stereotypes that they accept as truth without ever having examined their reasons for having done so...
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

[/quote]

Not in the incessant "I hate niggers, Heil Hitler, donning white robes" sort of way. I have a few friends who had some bad experiences growing up and now have somewhat prejudicial attitudes, but that's just how it is around here. I truly am not racist, but the fact is, there aren't many educated or successful black folk around here and I haven't met any black people I liked. Not because they were black, because they were stupid jerks. That's a local thing, not a universal thing, and understandably it sometimes skews the minds of the white folk around here.
                                Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                                -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                                X