Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Question Du Jour *the millenium edition!*

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    What does compassion mean to you in your daily life?
    Compassion, to me, in my everyday world, is being kind to people that haven't really given me any reason to be kind. And caring for others that I wouldn't normally give second glance to.

Now, this is not usually meant for general consumption but, meh, what the heck.

It works best, for me, when people aren't actually sure if I'm going to be nice or not. Yeah, I really do look out for those that, for lack of a better phrase, need looking out for. But I have no moral aversion to being vile, cruel or even obnoxiously vulgar. At the same time, I'll give the shirt off my back to someone less fortunate. So, yeah, I can be very compassionate. I can also be quite an @$$hole. It's a roll of the dice, for those wanting a specific 'kindly' reaction out of me.
    Last edited by ChainLightning; 23 Jun 2013, 20:18.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Compassion for me always starts from within. I find that when I feel terrible about myself, I can't help but sharpen my claws at other people. If I actively try and say nice things about myself and forgive myself for the mistakes that I make, I find that it's much easier to open my heart to other people.
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
        Now, this is not usually meant for general consumption but, meh, what the heck.

It works best, for me, when people aren't actually sure if I'm going to be nice or not. Yeah, I really do look out for those that, for lack of a better phrase, need looking out for. But I have no moral aversion to being vile, cruel or even obnoxiously vulgar. At the same time, I'll give the shirt off my back to someone less fortunate. So, yeah, I can be very compassionate. I can also be quite an @$$hole. It's a roll of the dice, for those wanting a specific 'kindly' reaction out of me.
        I do this, too - especially because I constantly find myself being measured against the dipstick of compassion. Even my husband hits me with it sometimes, and he's a serious asshole.

"Have a little compassion! Why can't you be more compassionate?! You should really try to be more compassionate!"

Of course, when I do act compassionately towards someone, I find most of the time I'm doing it to spite someone else.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Putting yourself in someone else's shoes and thinking about how you would like them to treat you in the same situation.

Compassion is a pre-requisite of my job, so I'm pretty good at it while at work (pretty good at faking it too sometimes - you still have to show the idiotic imbecile of a dog owner 'compassion' even though he's an idiot and shouldn't own dogs), but outside of work is a bit tricky sometimes.

Comment

Compassion is an important component of my daily life, because I have chosen an academic path that is about understanding and trying to make people's lives better. I find that I am constantly trying to understand people's perspectives. Sometimes that gets people mad at me, as they feel I am too compassionate for people they don't think deserve compassion. But I believe that if you cannot understand a person who does bad things, you can't change the influences that caused them to be that way.
            We will be the jerks the world needs.

Comment

Yeah yeah, I'll keep it going.
              Compassion for me? My ability to bite my lip when I want to say something. The joy I'd get from my " I told you so" gets outweighed by not wanting to rain on someone's bad day. Most of the time compassion for me is just ignoring your crap. To you, I'm giving you a break you probably need. To me, I'm just thinking about what's for dinner.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Compassion for me is thinking perhaps there is a good side to people that seem on the outside to be total assholes. Benefit of the doubt.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Compassion for me is knowing when you need to bend and stretch for the sake of another who needs it. and sometimes compassion is knowing when not to bend, when doing so does more harm than good for those involved.
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

headaches, lots of headaches
                    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

What is something you fixate over to the point of it being a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        Holy cats! I can fixate on most anything to the point where it becomes a serious problem. Not that I'm obsessive, I'm probably quite, or that I lack the ability to take or do anything in moderation. Just that if something can hold my interest for more than a few minutes, it's far more likely to hold my interest for hours. And hours.

Like Sudoko. WoW. Women.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

having enough money
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

having enough money
                            This. I plan out how all my money is spent on a spreadsheet before I get it paid. I get paid. I give it to my bills. I plan out how all my money is spent on a spreadsheet before I get it paid.
                            repeat till the end of the year

Comment

When something is wrong with someone I love, even if it's tiny and nothing, I fixate on it like it the worst thing in the ENTIRE world has happened, and I fret myself into an anxiety attack until they tell me what's wrong. Because I'm always convinced that if anything is wrong with anybody, it's my fault.

Also, if I tell a lie, it consumes me until I cry myself to sleep at night.

Mostly art.

Comment

I have worked very hard on NOT fixating, and done very, very well. But, once in a while some old anxiety peeks through....like just now. A large tree limb fell in the yard during the night, so I had to call the guy who mows, etc. and ask him to come get it and pick up some other stuff. For some reason I procrastinated for about an hour on doing so.

The history on this is: Back in the stone age when I was about 15, I suddenly developed a fear that if I called a friend on the phone, I'd get a wrong number and the person would yell at me. I have no clue where that fear came from, but at that age I was on the phone a lot, so to be suddenly afraid of it was weird. My parents eventually took me to the Dr. who gave me a 2 week course of Librium. Problem solved. I wasn't afraid of anything again. I think it was some misfiring neuron. Once in a while it still splutters, apparently.
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X