Bee season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bee season

Ya just don't want to threaten them or piss 'em off, is all. You'd still be able to cuddle.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

What about hanging a bunch of noisy, rattly things around the perimeter of your honeycomb, something to make the bear nervous about approaching it? Maybe some wind-powered vuvuzelas or something?
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I like Carpenter bees. They're big, curious, and non-aggressive. There was one who hung out on the porch of my old apartment - he would hover a foot or so in front of me for a few seconds when I came home, as if saying hello. I called him "Mr. Bumble" and we had a deal - he stayed outside, and I let him live.
        I could almost hear "Close To You" playing in the background......
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

My parents started bee keeping last year. They now have over 13 hives and even got a permit to do live bee removal. Most I've done was help out on a bee removal they did and by help out I mean I stood there with a camera. lol All I care about is the honey and bees wax. I love my homemade mead made from my parent's honey and the lip balm my mom made was awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
            What about hanging a bunch of noisy, rattly things around the perimeter of your honeycomb, something to make the bear nervous about approaching it? Maybe some wind-powered vuvuzelas or something?
            This works OK for a while, but once the bear gets used to it, and if the bear is hungry (usually a she bear with cubs somewhere, in the spring), it stops working. I've toyed with the idea of rigging up a proximity detector attached to flashing lights and a horn, but never gotten around to it. I had built an enclosure around the hive, and that worked for a couple of years, but last year the bear tore it right out of the ground...

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Originally posted by GypsySeaWitch View Post
            My parents started bee keeping last year. They now have over 13 hives and even got a permit to do live bee removal. Most I've done was help out on a bee removal they did and by help out I mean I stood there with a camera. lol All I care about is the honey and bees wax. I love my homemade mead made from my parent's honey and the lip balm my mom made was awesome!
            Wow - 13 hives? Your parents must be filling the swimming pool with honey...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Have you tried offering the bear a lite beer and a spam sandwich. That would scare anybody away.
              Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Hmmm... maybe I could just try some of wifey's tuna noodle casserol...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I cleaned out the hive last weekend in preparation for a new box of bees, and I set up a second hive with a "nuc" (nucleus hive, used to begin a colony).

There were a lot of dead bees in that hive - I'm pretty sure that it ended up as a queenless colony, which is why it died out. I was surprised to find that there were still a few frames with honey in them. Cleaning out the hive involves scraping out the dead bees and scraping away the wax & propalis that isn't where it's supposed to be. It's an easy job if there are no bees in the hive, but when there are, it can get a bit exciting to tear down a hive.

Most of the frames had mold on them - I was worried that that would cause problems if I reused them, but I've been told that the bees will clean all the frames, and that the mold is typical, so I'm good to go. Now I just wait for the bees, and hope the bear stays away...

There doesn't seem to have been any disease in the hive, but I'll feed the bees with some antibiotics for a while just to be sure.

Comment

This sounds fascinating - beekeeping is definitely on to-try list if I were to ever get a house in the country. Bees are wonderful. There are plenty at my parents' house, and the big bumble-bees are so fun to watch. While there were tons of bees in the yard where I grew up, I've only ever been stung once (climbing on a tire structure in a playground and didn't see the hive that I accidentally reached in - luckily it was a cold day so I only got stung once. Over a decade later, I'm still pissed at the girl who saw me reaching my hand inside a tire with a hive in it and just ran away without telling me).

This video is old, and you've probably seen it before, but I'm going to go ahead and post it.

COVERED IN BEES!

This is a fantastic clip from the king of transvestite comedy himself, Mr Eddie IzzardTaken From His DVD 'Glorious'

Comment

I just got done with the Pineywood's Beekeeper Association's Bee School training. It was actually kind of fun. My mom and dad asked me to take it in case anything ever happens to them so I could take care of their bees. Jason took it too and now he is helping my dad on bee removals. My parents have done several removals of swarms, but most of them have been trying to leave after dad gets them in a bee box and out to his house. Guess they liked their trees better. He had his numbers up to 17 hives, but we've had a few die off, one that had to be killed due to serious aggression, and then one or two of the caught swarms left their bee boxes to look for another place to live. That mixed with a drought means a good chance of little honey this year. I was so looking forward to gallons and gallons of honey.

Comment

Yeah! The bees are in! The bees are in!

If the weather holds good, I can get them hived up tomorrow aftermoon.

Comment

Glad you got your bees!! My parent's just harvest some of their honey crop. They finally bought a honey extractor. It was tasty too. I'm currently looking at mead making supplies to purchase so to have homemade mead for my coven rituals.

Comment

Hopefully I'll get enough out of these two hives to make some mead this winter, GypsySeaWitch!

I just finished dumping the two boxes of bees into their respective hives. Right now there are a lot of bees flying around, but they'll sort themselves out by tonight.

Comment

Working...
                            X