Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sabbats

Originally posted by TearDropStar View Post
    I guess I need to learn more about them since I am still new. Plus the mythology behind the festivals sort of confused me like the maiden, mother, crone and the life, death, and rebirth thing because of how I see my gods and goddesses.
    Instead of celebrating the Sabbats, you can always just plan a ritual or celebration on days sacred to your deities.

Fer instance, even though She's not one of my 'patrons', I try to do something special for Selket (also spelled Serqet/Selqet, She's an Egyptian Goddess, one of the canopic protectors, Who is usually depicted with a scorpion on Her head) on 'Her' day, which is September 23rd. She helps protect our home from the bark scorpions. Depending on your deities, They may or may not have ceremonial days specific to Them, but there may be different seasons or times of the month that may be sacred to Them, and things can be planned in accordance.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Well my god is Cernunnos and I see him as a young type guy with stag antlers is god of nature and earthy type things. My goddesses are Brigid and Aphrodite.

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

Brigid is fire and creativity and Aphrodite is love, beauty and sexuality.
      "Everyone and everything around you is your teacher." -- Ken Keyes Jr.

Comment

I don't anymore, but I did OIKE celebrating Beltain and Samhain. X
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Well my god is Cernunnos and I see him as a young type guy with stag antlers is god of nature and earthy type things. My goddesses are Brigid and Aphrodite. Brigid is fire and creativity and Aphrodite is love, beauty and sexuality.
          Imbolc is a festival that is very often associated with Brigid, you shouldn't have any trouble finding information connecting the two. I know some pagans honor Aphrodite at Beltaine, since it can be seen as a festival of love and sexuality.

You don't have to follow the Wiccan God/Goddess story to follow the wheel. You don't even have to include any deities, you can simply focus on and celebrate the cycles of nature.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I am still a newbie and I know this might be a silly question but I was wondering if you don't follow a certain pagan path do you have to celebrate all the sabbats and esbats? Oh another question can you celebrate other days that have special meaning to you.
            You are really free to do what you want. In my experience, new religious holidays and observances can take some fiddling to get comfortable with so be patient with yourself. You can also create your own holidays that hold personal significance.

I would suggest picking a holiday (a standard one or something unique, doesn't matter) and just giving it a shot. Perform a ritual, cook a special meal, decorate, whatever you'd like to do to celebrate. If something works really well, make a note so you remember to include that again next time. If something didn't work so well, you can try tweaking the issue or just leaving it out next time. It may be trial and error for a while until you can establish traditions. Good luck!
            "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
            Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

I second the recommendation for Imbolc. Brighid is one of my Matrons, and so it's become quite an important day for me. I don't know much about Aphrodite though (not my pantheon) so I'm not sure if She has a sacred day. You could probably find some information online though (just wade through the garbage )

Comment

Aphrodite's, like most other love Goddesses (Freya, Erzulie, Venus) sacred day is Friday.

Comment

I sort of play it by ear. If I'm not feeling it, I don't do it. I tried celebrating Yule and the autumn equinox, but often I have low energy especially on those days because I have SAD and they mark changes in daylight that usually aren't so good for me. So I tend to go with more stuff in the spring and summer.

I also celebrate all secular holidays...pretty much all of them, because I grew up with them in a non-religious sense and so I don't really associate them with Christianity or whatever. Christmas isn't the birth of Jesus, for example, it's a time when we put up a tree, eat a lot of food, spend time together and get and give stuff. Easter is a long weekend with lots of parties and a big dinner with my atheist friends on Sunday, etc. I like social stuff and since most social convention sits around these holidays, I love taking part in them.

Comment

thanks for the ideas and suggestions I will just have to find out what works for me

Comment

thanks for the ideas and suggestions I will just have to find out what works for me
                      That's pretty much how it works for everyone (certain strict Reconstructionist/traditionalist paths excluded).

Comment

yeah I will just do a little research and see what I find out

Comment

I have found a video about Belthane and how they do the procession of the May Queen, the burning of the old Horned God or Green Man and her uniting with the new Horned God/Green Man. Enjoy. At least in Edinburgh.

Last edited by Taiga Pagan; 19 Apr 2011, 06:43.

Comment

Working...
                          X