• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://kenanderson.net/hardtack/recipes.html

Cooking Notes:
    *we added an extra squeeze (proly an extra tablespoon) of honey
    *we used butter flavored crisco for the shortening
    *the dough will be very dry, if it is too dry to work, add a wee bit of extra buttermilk

This is awesome with strawberry jam, and great fun for small children.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Civil War Reenacting

Yes it is me Scott making my first post. As you all already know I do American Civil War Reenacting. I quiet simply love the hobby. I have a great appreciation for both American Civil War History, and for those who fought during the war. If anyone is interested in participating in Civil War reenacting, finding a unit, or just has any questions about it. Just let me know.
      "I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here
      (in your head) and here (in your heart) and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not."
      ~from Kingdom of Heaven

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
      ~Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I was actually looking at THAT recipe the other week, thal! I want to make hardtack for backpacking.

Mostly art.

Comment

I've often thought it would be cool to be in the Texas Army Reenactment (~1820s-1845) but of course you have to be male to be an official member. They do allow women in the camp as support roles but I never had anybody to do it with and my husband is not into it!
          The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

If you want a suggestion I would add either some honey or sugar to the batter to make it taste just a little better. The sugar or honey will act as a preservative and make the hardtack just a little softer. (and sweeter)
            "I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here
            (in your head) and here (in your heart) and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not."
            ~from Kingdom of Heaven

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
            ~Thomas Jefferson

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=77.msg12385#msg12385 date=1289576392]
              I was actually looking at THAT recipe the other week, thal! I want to make hardtack for backpacking.
              [/quote]

yeah, I think I have some notes for the recipe in my blog...

I actually prefer it to traditional (boring) hardtack.

The kids like it too...just add a wee bit of jam. I've started making in instead of buying crackers and stuff and using cute cookie cutters.

[quote author=scott link=topic=77.msg12392#msg12392 date=1289576951]
              If you want a suggestion I would add either some honey or sugar to the batter to make it taste just a little better. The sugar or honey will act as a preservative and make the hardtack just a little softer. (and sweeter)
              [/quote]

pssssst...hi honey!!
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Hard tack seems very like our outcakes - which Mr Penry has for breakfast every morning spread with marmalade....
                I absolutely love the idea of re-enacting... over here there are a number of different groups. So I'm wondering (Scott and Thal) what draws you towards re-enacting? Is it a love for a particular period? Do you think, if there were other period groups available (and for all I know there may be, so forgive me if I seem ignorant) that you would choose one period over another?

I know it's not quite the same, but I love going to the Roman Baths in Bath, UK where people in costume of the time mingle with the tourists as though they are just going about their daily work. I managed to have a (very short ) conversation with one in Latin a few years ago! I was dead impressed!
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=77.msg13625#msg13625 date=1289893776]
                  Hard tack seems very like our outcakes - which Mr Penry has for breakfast every morning spread with marmalade....[/quote]

If you are going by my recipe, its not really authentic hardtack---which is really just baked flour and water...its actually a sailor's ration that fills the same role. We make it because it tastes better.

I absolutely love the idea of re-enacting... over here there are a number of different groups. So I'm wondering (Scott and Thal) what draws you towards re-enacting? Is it a love for a particular period? Do you think, if there were other period groups available (and for all I know there may be, so forgive me if I seem ignorant) that you would choose one period over another?
                  Scott is a HUGE history nerd, particularly in terms of military history...two of his favorite periods being the (American) Civil War and WWII and he did CW reenacting prior to joining the Navy with the one of the reenactment units that portrays the Iron Brigade. I on the other hand, have been a long time canoeing fan (of part of the area that was involved in the fur trade) that enjoys the local Rendezvous (this area of IL has more of a French and Indian/Seven Years War history).

There are other reenactment periods...there is probably a reenacting group *somewhere* for just about every (romanticized and/or historically important) armed conflict and even time periods without. I've seen Viking, pirate (real reenacting, not the Ren Faire dress up), fairly dedicated Renaissance reenactors (also not the Ren Faire standard), Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, Colonial, even Vietnam is starting to pick up some reenactment groups with some support of Veterans organizations. The only one I can think of that stands out without a reenactment group that I have heard of is the Korean War.

Personally, I would actually prefer to do Colonial reenactment...and Scott *really* wants to do WWII reenacting (as a Soviet...which I could actually do too, as a female). But the big problem is that gear, particularly the weaponry aspect, is pricey--I think that keeps a lot of people that might otherwise be interested away. Reenacting is sort of a dying hobby for that reason. Plus, you'd be surprised how many spouses object to their spouse going camping for the weekend and running around with muskets, and how many more won't join them--the roles for women are are fairly restrictive and stereotyped to portray if they are going go along. There are some ways to break out of that (which I'd like to think I am well on the way to doing), but it takes alot of work and some pretty specific research to do so--and I don't think most people want their hobbies to require so much library and archive time.

I know it's not quite the same, but I love going to the Roman Baths in Bath, UK where people in costume of the time mingle with the tourists as though they are just going about their daily work. I managed to have a (very short conversation with one in Latin a few years ago! I was dead impressed!
                  That is pretty cool!

Interestingly, the (originial) 17th Missouri was a German unit--almost all of the members spoke German as a first language, and some really probably *only* spoke German, the unit was raised by the Turner Society. From what I understand, all of their commands and orders were given in German. I'm not sure, but I think the guys have talked about taking that up. Scott can talk more about it, but there is really sort of a dichotomy the living history aspect (and there are some reenactors that *only* do living history) and the showman ship part of it...because, at the end of the day, if we want to educate the public, we need to get butts in the seats ;D
                  sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=77.msg3714#msg3714 date=1287294598]
                    I'm going to say that the best reason to do re-enacting with kids...is because the pictures are fantastic:

(shameless mommy show-off mode)
                    [/quote]

Agreed, that picture alone is precious. I have a four year old boy that would be fascinated with the battles, and we've talked about getting ourselves involved in one of the reenactment groups that are near us. I live in Maryland, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Comment

Thank you so much Thal - that was really fascinating! It's great to meet someone so enthusiastic about a hobby. Mr Penry has been threatening to build a ballista for a long time - one of these days I think he might do it. We have the odd cannonball hanging around the house too, and how was this for an original birthday present for me (last year I think!) - he got me a ball and chain. It weighs a ton.

Do you think he might be trying to tell me something?

Comment

Ball and Chain as in one of these

or one of these

The first would be pretty cool. The second, well, I love Mr. Penry's sense of humor and am otherwise staying very quiet. :-X

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

While the second image is indeed a "ball and chain," the first image is actually more of a "military flail" of the very, very spiky kind. The kind some would call a "holy water sprinkler" as it caused blood to go spurting everywhere when in use during battle.
                          HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

The second one is the ball and chain.... the one at the top would probably be called a mace in the UK.

Comment

I enjoy going to any type of reenacting events. You people put in a lot of time and money it your hobby. The nice thing is the fact that a family can do it together.
                              I did get to go to some events with a French militia group here in Detroit who did pre- American revolution. It was a great time as well as a unique experience for me.
                              As a spectator I have to tell you that people who do this sort of thing do an outstanding job of it.
                              Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=77.msg14245#msg14245 date=1290013138]
                                The second one is the ball and chain.... the one at the top would probably be called a mace in the UK.
                                [/quote]

The First one is often called a "Morning Star", the mace is usually a stick with a metal cap and "Flanges" around the crown. these were carries by some Monastic orders for defence as they were unlikely to draw blood. there are references to a cavalry mace being a stick with a spiked iron ball on top but with no chain.

M
                                In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

Working...
                                X