Samhain Costumes: What do they mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samhain Costumes: What do they mean?

Hey everyone. I'm planning a big group celebration for Samhain this year, and I wanted to ask for some help. I've heard a few different reasons behind wearing costumes at Samhain.

From what I understand, the veil is thinnest between this world and the sprit world on the night of Samhain, and so spirits are said to walk the earth.
    But as far as costumes go, I've heard some different things:
    - make sure the demons don't recognise you
    - make the demons thing you are one of their own
    - scare the demons away.

I'm not sure which is right! Are any right? Help please

Re: Samhain Costumes: What do they mean?

All of the above, from what I understand from various explanations of the Sabbat.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Well, huh....I always just figured it was one of those things that got started by bored teen's/early 20's guys to scare the pants of people and have a bit of a lark, especially since in a lot of the oldest stories, no one goes out after dark on that night.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

It's actually based on the Mummers. http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/c...alloween_3.htm

Comment

Oh, ok! I hadn't heard that ine before. Cool.

Comment

The traditional method of ensuring that you could not be recognised by demons/the evil eye was to dress in the opposite gender's clothing, so boys wore dresses and girls wore trousers. But this was a general thing, and not peculiar to Samhain. If you are celebrating Samhain and your celebrations have nothing to do with demons, I wouldn't worry about it. Just because the veil thins out in November and May, doesn't mean you have anything to fear.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

True enough Mrs. P ... I use it as a time to chat with my gramps ... He will always be my rock ... Even tho I am in my 50's now ...
              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
                True enough Mrs. P ... I use it as a time to chat with my gramps ... He will always be my rock ... Even tho I am in my 50's now ...
                I think there is still a vestigial feeling that the dead are to be feared, to which I would say you should only fear the dead if you feared them in life. And even then, it's only a wariness, not a real dread.

For those pagan/heathen beliefs that venerate the ancestors, the idea of fearing the dead would be quite incomprehensible!
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                X