This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello, Again... Again...

Welcome back. I do remember you and was wondering where you were and if maybe all the Japanese stuff could entice you back ^^ You might not remember me, but my avatar used to be a magpie if that rings any bells.

Great to have you back. You could have saved us a lot of time with the 'tte' debate though!! Ooooh, I could ask you so much, but I don't want the Japanese thread to fly off topic. Maybe when/if it dies down I can sneak some questions in.

And btw, yes, I can read your signature and no, I didn't look it up. They just happen to all be kanji I learned very early on and my brain has a strickt 'first one in, last one out' policy. Although I suspect you MAY have used the wrong kanji in 'kotoba'? Only just noticed that now. Isn't that kanji 'leaf' (I'm only guessing this from the 'grass' radical and the fact I assume it must be read 'ba')? I can't look it up because it is too small on my screen to count the strokes, but remember another kanji for kotoba. I'm extremely rusty though, so await correction!
    Last edited by Jembru; 13 Jan 2012, 09:52.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Hello to all!

Firstly, I am new, to the forum, and to my path. Eclectic Solitary Pagan would be the best fit. I live in Colorado. I have three cats, two who live with me, and one that lives with my parents. I love my cats to pieces and they are more like my children than animals. I work as a Certified Nursing Assistant, and I love it. I have many interests, which you all will probably get to know more when time goes on. I've been looking for an active Pagan forum for a while now, and yours seems the most active, and friendly, thus far. So I hope that I can meet people, gain knowledge and advice, here!

Comment

Re: Hello to all!

Welcome to PF fellow feline fanatic! Glad you found us. This is a really friendly and supportive forum and I hope you enjoy it and learn from it as much as I do.

-Jem
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
          Welcome to PF fellow feline fanatic! Glad you found us. This is a really friendly and supportive forum and I hope you enjoy it and learn from it as much as I do.

-Jem
          Thank you for such a warm welcome Jem! I'm glad I found you guys as well, and glad that I have found another cat lover!

Comment

Hello and welcome back!
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Hello and welcome! I hope you enjoy it here!
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                Hello and welcome! I hope you enjoy it here!
                Thank you!

Comment

welcome back
                  Circe

Comment

Welcome back. I do remember you and was wondering where you were and if maybe all the Japanese stuff could entice you back ^^ You might not remember me, but my avatar used to be a magpie if that rings any bells.

Great to have you back. You could have saved us a lot of time with the 'tte' debate though!! Ooooh, I could ask you so much, but I don't want the Japanese thread to fly off topic. Maybe when/if it dies down I can sneak some questions in.

And btw, yes, I can read your signature and no, I didn't look it up. They just happen to all be kanji I learned very early on and my brain has a strickt 'first one in, last one out' policy. Although I suspect you MAY have used the wrong kanji in 'kotoba'? Only just noticed that now. Isn't that kanji 'leaf' (I'm only guessing this from the 'grass' radical and the fact I assume it must be read 'ba')? I can't look it up because it is too small on my screen to count the strokes, but remember another kanji for kotoba. I'm extremely rusty though, so await correction!
                    Sweety, with all due respect, don't try to correct someone who knows more than you do. Asking about alternate characters for kotoba is one thing, suggesting that I got them wrong is another. I only mean this as a gentle rebuke, but it will make for less embarrassing situations if you do an independent fact check first.

You were right in remembering another character for "word", though. There is another way to write kotoba that is used in more formal situations. It's 詞. For most situations, including older documents, the characters are as listed in my signature: 言葉. Yes, that's a leaf. Its literal meaning might be construed as "word leaves" or more artistically "spoken pieces". The two character version is actually closer to the phonemic meaning of the spoken Japanese and were the original characters assigned as much for their phonetic similarity as anything. The single character version is based on a borrowing and reinterpretation of a Chinese character for its meaning, which then had the reading added at a later date.

I hope that clears it up.
                    この言葉が読めれば、グーグルを見つけておめでとう御座います。

Now go read a book or something...

Comment

Thanks, I had a feeling you'd have an explanation. I actually didn't realise you could write some words more than one way and have to question why on earth I learnt the other version. I never even noticed the first time I read it, I just saw the first kanji and assumed it was kotoba. I actually thought it was just a typo from predictive typing, rather than it being a lack of knowledge. Of course I meant no disrespect. I just.. okay, I admit I found the signature a little arrogant when I very first read it, but I've known you before so know you meant it as a bit of fun.

Honestly though, I really didn't mean any disrespect and I am really glad you returned to the forums. Brushing up my Japanese was my New Year's resolution and I have a habit of becoming quite obsessive over New Year's resolutions. Questions pop up all the time while chatting with my boyf' and although my Japanese friends are a good help, they can't explain it as well as an English speaking scholar of the language can.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Ach, I now have a confession...

I'm guilty as charged at being very lazy when it comes to looking things up myself. Well, even the alternate kanji you suggested, looked wrong to me. So I decided to get down my old notes and check for myself. I found kotoba written EXACTLY as you had, in my handwriting. I had a flick through and I found the kanji I was thinking of and.. it has nothing in common with 'ha' whatsoever and is part of a different compound. Maybe I should start reading again.
                      Last edited by Jembru; 13 Jan 2012, 13:49.

Comment

Dude! Welcome back!!!! xD
                        It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                        -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Thanks, I had a feeling you'd have an explanation. I actually didn't realise you could write some words more than one way and have to question why on earth I learnt the other version. I never even noticed the first time I read it, I just saw the first kanji and assumed it was kotoba. I actually thought it was just a typo from predictive typing, rather than it being a lack of knowledge. Of course I meant no disrespect. I just.. okay, I admit I found the signature a little arrogant when I very first read it, but I've known you before so know you meant it as a bit of fun.

Honestly though, I really didn't mean any disrespect and I am really glad you returned to the forums. Brushing up my Japanese was my New Year's resolution and I have a habit of becoming quite obsessive over New Year's resolutions. Questions pop up all the time while chatting with my boyf' and although my Japanese friends are a good help, they can't explain it as well as an English speaking scholar of the language can.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Ach, I now have a confession...

I'm guilty as charged at being very lazy when it comes to looking things up myself. Well, even the alternate kanji you suggested, looked wrong to me. So I decided to get down my old notes and check for myself. I found kotoba written EXACTLY as you had, in my handwriting. I had a flick through and I found the kanji I was thinking of and.. it has nothing in common with 'ha' whatsoever and is part of a different compound. Maybe I should start reading again.
                          Hey, no worries. I like to be helpful when I can.

As for my signature, you actually weren't misreading my intent. I'm an arrogant bastard who likes to knock self-righteous pricks, poseurs, and idiots off their pedestals on a regular basis, so while my signature is primarily meant as a joke I also thoroughly enjoy its ability to dig at overeager Japanese enthusiasts with more bluster than sense.

Yes, I do think that I'm smarter than most other people that I come into contact with, but that's my own flaw and I'm perfectly content to acknowledge it and deal with it as I can.

Let me know if I can do anything for you.

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 AM ----------

On another note, thanks for the well-wishes and welcomes, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Zazaru View Post
                            Hey, no worries. I like to be helpful when I can.

As for my signature, you actually weren't misreading my intent. I'm an arrogant bastard who likes to knock self-righteous pricks, poseurs, and idiots off their pedestals on a regular basis, so while my signature is primarily meant as a joke I also thoroughly enjoy its ability to dig at overeager Japanese enthusiasts with more bluster than sense.

Yes, I do think that I'm smarter than most other people that I come into contact with, but that's my own flaw and I'm perfectly content to acknowledge it and deal with it as I can.

Let me know if I can do anything for you.

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 AM ----------

On another note, thanks for the well-wishes and welcomes, everyone!
                            Lol, I actually hate that too. It seems to be most common amongst native speakers of English and not unique to Japanese (although maybe more frequent), but a lot of people who can speak a second language act like it is some kind of superpower. But come ON, you surely can't think I am like that? I couldn't write more often that my Japanese is poor. It's a trait too ugly in others, for me to want to display it myself, and forgive me if I do bite back a bit if you get too self-righteous around me. I don't really like conflict, but I can't deny my instincts as a natural red-head!

What I DO like, is a good juicy discussion/dissection of language, so even if we squabble at times, because I can be stubborn and insist on getting a native's perspective before I admit you were right, I do hope we'll be able to have some good discussions.

I'm hyperactive and as such I can be clumsy with my words, especially when I get over-excited. So all I ask of you and everyone else here, is that if I ever say something that can be taken two ways, please, for the love of peace, trust I meant it the nice way!!

Can I ask stuff in here or should we start another thread? I just don't want to dominate Kijani's thread and make it untidy. It wouldn't be fair on anyone wanting to follow it in order to learn.
                            Last edited by Jembru; 13 Jan 2012, 21:22.

Comment

Lol, I actually hate that too. It seems to be most common amongst native speakers of English and not unique to Japanese (although maybe more frequent), but a lot of people who can speak a second language act like it is some kind of superpower. But come ON, you surely can't think I am like that? I couldn't write more often that my Japanese is poor. It's a trait too ugly in others, for me to want to display it myself, and forgive me if I do bite back a bit if you get too self-righteous around me. I don't really like conflict, but I can't deny my instincts as a natural red-head!

What I DO like, is a good juicy discussion/dissection of language, so even if we squabble at times, because I can be stubborn and insist on getting a native's perspective before I admit you were right, I do hope we'll be able to have some good discussions.

I'm hyperactive and as such I can be clumsy with my words, especially when I get over-excited. So all I ask of you and everyone else here, is that if I ever say something that can be taken two ways, please, for the love of peace, trust I meant it the nice way!!

Can I ask stuff in here or should we start another thread? I just don't want to dominate Kijani's thread and make it untidy. It wouldn't be fair on anyone wanting to follow it in order to learn.
                              My signature actually wasn't directed at you, anymore than it's directed at anyone. It's been my signature for years. I was just confirming that, yes, it is as arrogant as you thought it was when you read it the first time.

Anyway, I am happy to answer any questions that you have, here or in another thread. I may be an arrogant know-it-all bastard, but I'm nothing if not a polite and courteous one.

Comment

Welcome Back!
                                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X