X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello, Again... Again...

Originally posted by Zazaru View Post
    My signature actually wasn't directed at you, anymore than it's directed at anyone. It's been my signature for years. I was just confirming that, yes, it is as arrogant as you thought it was when you read it the first time.

Anyway, I am happy to answer any questions that you have, here or in another thread. I may be an arrogant know-it-all bastard, but I'm nothing if not a polite and courteous one.
    If my memory serves, I recall you being quite active in forum debates and yes, being quite assertive but otherwise well-mannered. I'm too much of a coward to join debates though, so I was only ever observing.

I'm gonna be spending a few days with my boyfriend so don't think I've ran away if I don't respond for a while, but I may as well get us started. There are quite a few grammatical things I am unsure of, but I'll have to note them as they crop up over the weekend and get back to you, because I can't think of them off the top of my head.

So I'll ask a kanji question;

I've wondered for a while about sound changes when kanji are used in compounds. Sometimes the sound will become voiced in the second kanji, like in our 'kotoba' for example. Yet it seems that sometimes this change does not occur, even when the same kanji is used but in a different compound. There are even words that have two possible readings like 'nihon and 'nippon'.

So, assuming my observation is correct, are there any patterns governing whether or not this phonetic change occurs? Or does one simply have to learn each word separately, with their kanji and yomi?.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I just now noticed your signature. LoL. +
      It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
      -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
        If my memory serves, I recall you being quite active in forum debates and yes, being quite assertive but otherwise well-mannered. I'm too much of a coward to join debates though, so I was only ever observing.

I'm gonna be spending a few days with my boyfriend so don't think I've ran away if I don't respond for a while, but I may as well get us started. There are quite a few grammatical things I am unsure of, but I'll have to note them as they crop up over the weekend and get back to you, because I can't think of them off the top of my head.

So I'll ask a kanji question;

I've wondered for a while about sound changes when kanji are used in compounds. Sometimes the sound will become voiced in the second kanji, like in our 'kotoba' for example. Yet it seems that sometimes this change does not occur, even when the same kanji is used but in a different compound. There are even words that have two possible readings like 'nihon and 'nippon'.

So, assuming my observation is correct, are there any patterns governing whether or not this phonetic change occurs? Or does one simply have to learn each word separately, with their kanji and yomi?.
        That's a pertinent question for anyone studying Japanese gammar and pronunciation. I think that Kijani's thread should probably be more focused on basics, so I'll start a thread for more complicated/unusual questions. I'll answer your question there.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Originally posted by kijani View Post
        I just now noticed your signature. LoL. +
        Glad you appreciate it.
        この言葉が読めれば、グーグルを見つけておめでとう御座います。

Now go read a book or something...

Comment

Back after MIA for 6 months.

*waves* Just wanted to politely say hello again before jumping back into things. I'm not a prolific poster or anything, but I was active last year until July when life got busy with work and travel. I hope everyone has been well.
          "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
          Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

Re: Hey

Originally posted by Medb View Post
            Hello there! Hooray for English degrees and industrial music!
            I'm curious, do you still associate much with the celtic end of pagan things?
            Sorry for the excruciatingly late reply,I've been absent for a while. I certainly still have a love for the Celtic traditions and gods, but I wouldn't say that was where my heart solely lies any more. I'm fascinated by a range of pagan cultures, and I'm quite happy to work with multiple pantheons and differing areas of tradition.
            Nu Cead Againn Dul Abhaile.
            "Not even the most battle-hardened warriors would willingly separate a man from his gods."

Comment

Re: Back after MIA for 6 months.

Welcome back!
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                Welcome back!
                Thank you, it's good to be back.
                "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Comment

You look familiar! Welcome back from me, too
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                    You look familiar! Welcome back from me, too
                    Thank you, Dez.

Comment

Hay! WELCOME BACK!!!
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        Hay! WELCOME BACK!!!
                        Thanks!

Comment

Welcome back
                          [4:82]

Comment

Re: Hey

Oh hey there Mothboy. I missed the chance to say hi earlier, so hi! I hope you're enjoying your time here so far.

I'm fascinated to know more about your signature. It is a powerful sentiment. Where is it from?
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Hello

..Yeah, I'm new here. For some reason I never really thought about joining a Pagan forum until now. I had recently discovered Paganism back in September last year, so I'm kind of a newbie at everything. I'm solitary not by choice, given the fact I don't personally know any other Pagans. I rely on the internet to learn about it because the rest of my family is Christian so I can't risk buying anything.
                              Anywho, I'm glad to be here! (: I'm still trying to find the right path for me, but I have plenty of time. I guess you could call me an Eclectic Pagan for now if you'd like a specific title other than Pagan.
                              Some info not related to religion:
                              I'm currently in high school and partake in a lot of theatre there. I'm one of those performing kids that likes to work on shows and finds more things to work on when we're not doing show stuff. I'm also an artist looking to be an Illustrator as a career. Here's my deviantART. As to what illustration I want to do yet, I'm not sure. I'd like to do a bunch of different stuff like storyboards, concept art, inking, and perhaps even an inbetweener or clean-up artist for animation. I suppose I'll see what happens in time!
                              I'm shy and socially awkward off of the internet, but on the internet I'm a lot more confident in talking to people. (As you can probably see from this topic. I dunno.)
                              If you want to know more about me, feel free to ask.
                              ~Paxis

Comment

Re: Hello

Welcome to PF Praxis! I hope you find plenty of inspiration here.

Comment

Working...
                                X