X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greetings from Finland

Originally posted by Eveningale View Post
    Thank you everyone.

Well I could try to write a thread about it, but it will take me ages. It's not easiest thing to translate poems from Kalevala for example and I'm having small problems with English writing already so it will be a big challenge to me. But I think I could try it someday.
    No worries, at all! Particularly translation...poetry is particularly tricky, and I'd feel bad making that sort of a demand on your time!

If you do happen to stumble on good resources in English, please let me know, though
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Re: Hello

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Re: Newbie From PA

Welcome to PF! You're a Kitchen Witch? That's interesting. I'm quite interested in Witchcraft myself

Comment

Welcome to PF! I find Finnish paganism rather interesting also, although I haven't met any Finnish pagans before.

Your English is great by the way!

Comment

Hello and welcome! There's a lot of information about different paths here, so I hope you find something that speaks to you. And like everyone else has said, don't worry. Your English is fine.
            Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Hello and welcome, Jen!
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Two of my four grandparents came here from Finland. Don't worry about your English, as too many Americans (for instance) online can't even get a thought into coherent words. Some websites are better than others for general understandability. Have no pity for those who insist on using "chat-speak" or "texting" on an internet forum.

I do have a copy of the Kalevala which is in both English and Finnish (on facing pages). That translation job has been done already, and makes for a rather thick hardcover book. As I remember, it was a wedding present from my sister-in-law, 36 years ago (!!).
                HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

Originally posted by Ananta Androscoggin View Post
                  I do have a copy of the Kalevala which is in both English and Finnish (on facing pages). That translation job has been done already, and makes for a rather thick hardcover book. As I remember, it was a wedding present from my sister-in-law, 36 years ago (!!).
                  I have to get one of those to myself, sounds pretty interesting and I'm sure it was a hard work to its translator. But translation is still only a translation which is kind of sad. Translations won't give you the real feeling and yes, I took a peek at some of them poems translated and they seemed pretty odd to me. For example:

In Finnish..

And in English..

To me the English version just sounds funny since the form and structure are pretty different. I guess you just have to know how to read Finnish to understand its real beauty. And I'm not kidding when I'm saying that most of the Finns themselves finds it difficult to read Kalevala. I remember the first time I had to read it aloud and I just can't help but laugh at the memory. You'll get your tongue twisted in no time. But still, gotta respect the translators.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06 Feb 2012, 06:54.

Comment

Intro

First, I should point out, when I say Aztec reconstructionist, I mean, currently Pagan seeker but with a particular interest in Aztec religion which I have spent 5+ years researching. I also have an interest in ancient Egyptian religion as well and have also spent a number of years studying that as well. I haven't really decided which path is right for me yet but where I am at right now works. I currently just do a little bit here and there borrowing practices from both Aztec and Egyptian religions/culture. I consider myself a devotee to Tezcatlipoca and Sutekh. My shrine right now consists of a obsidian dagger, black scrying mirror, statue of Sutekh, Mexican death skull (as you would see during day of the dead), a jet black stone bowl and a skull.

Past religion, I am also a very experienced arachnid keeper, I currently own both an emperor scorpion and a wolf spider whom I haven't pin point the exact genus or species yet and I recently lost my beloved black widow. I am also debating on whether or not I will be buying a Goliath bird-eating spider sometime in the future. Politically, I'm a Monarchist. I am a sailor by way of vocation. I also enjoy to play the piano, I'm a highly proficient crossbowmen, I love noise music and classical. I have a wide array of interests and hobbies, this is just a short over-view. I very much look forward to my participation on the forum. Any more questions, just ask.

Comment

Hello and welcome to PF!
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Re: Intro

Pleased to meet you!

I have to admit, when I saw the username and then read the first sentence I was confused until I realized you follow Egyptian and Aztec. I've just finished reading the Popol Vuh myself, but I must admit Mesoamerican paganism is not for me. May I ask what you think about morality in general? (from the few Aztec Recon's I've talked to they don't seem to see a difference between good and evil.)

Politically I'm a communist
                        "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
                        Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
                        Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

Comment

Originally posted by OpenHands View Post
                          Hi Jen, nice to meet you! I'm out in western PA, but I grew up near Philly and went to college in York- there are a lot of witches and pagans to meet in those areas if you are thereabouts. What brought you to the path of a kitchen witch?
                          I'm actually from York! I live in southern York about 5 min from the Maryland line. We have a Faery Festival here every May at Spoutwood Farm and it's kind of like the ultimate meeting place for witches, pagans and nature lovers. I love watching the tribal drummers. The organizers don't advertise the event as a religious gathering, it's just one of those things where if you're paying attention you get that vibe. I tend to have an eye and a "feel" for finding others like myself around here.

As far as being a Kitchen Witch, the path kind of chose me. I think I was a kitchen witch before I even knew the term, lol. I worked in the kitchen since I was about 4 yrs old with my grandmother and over the years I learned how to incorporate magick into everything I did in there. I'm a big fan of herbs. Something as simple as conjuring up a nice soothing cup of homemade herbal tea for my husband to help him unwind after work brings me a lot of joy.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
                            There once was a man who said though,
                            It seems that I know that I know,
                            What I'd like to see,
                            Is the I that knows me,
                            When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Hello and welcome to PF!
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ConnollyCelt View Post
                                Pleased to meet you!
                                The pleasure is mine.

I have to admit, when I saw the username and then read the first sentence I was confused until I realized you follow Egyptian and Aztec. I've just finished reading the Popol Vuh myself, but I must admit Mesoamerican paganism is not for me. May I ask what you think about morality in general? (from the few Aztec Recon's I've talked to they don't seem to see a difference between good and evil.)
                                I think morality (speaking within the Judeo-Christian paradigm of course or the Western code of morality in general [if there is such a thing]) is premised largely on falsehoods which no one, not even clerics truly believe. Good, evil, light, dark, it's merely subjective and both sides can be appreciated in their own right. Not to mention, dark in regards to Mesoamerican morality and culture doesn't necessarily carry the same connotations as it does in Western-Christian culture and morality nor is it something to be avoided, if it's in one's own nature.

It's about balance, everything adds to this balance, light and dark.

Politically I'm a communist

Enough said.

Comment

Working...
                                X