This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan Morality

I think that the root of the debate is not Pagan morals themselves, but the assumption, held by many christian groups, that the bible is the original moral code.

Has anyone ever showed your brother other ancient moral codes? There are many of them...you could talk about others from the middle east, which bear strong resemblances to the Hebrew model, or there are other examples, like the works of Confucius, which are essentially devoid of religious content, besides the assertion that old ways are to be followed in order to continue the proper order of things.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I told him "It comes from within," but he was confused as to how it could be moral without an absolute ruler making the morals. Then again, this IS my brother... :P
      @DanieMarie, I'd love to read your paper if you're willing to share it with us!

Comment

This is the kind of "morality" that the Christian God apparently passes to his believers...

Comment

Roknrol... It's ironic that the his name Seidman is actually a word, Seidman means: Seid (Women's Magic, Sex Magic, Unmanly Art) and Man... which the combine word can mean: Homosexuality or A man practicing the Craft of Women.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga Pagan View Post
            Roknrol... It's ironic that the his name Seidman is actually a word, Seidman means: Seid (Women's Magic, Sex Magic, Unmanly Art) and Man... which the combine word can mean: Homosexuality or A man practicing the Craft of Women.

Oh, wow, really, Taiga?

I was under the impression that Seidman was a Yiddish name...which would mean it came from the word seide, meaning silk, in german (Latin seta, Yiddish zayd). I.e. a seller of silk.

Funny how those darn false cognates can sneak up on someone now and then...
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

The bureaucratic soul has never found a rulebook which it doesn't love. Especially in their bureaucratic belief that all responsibility lies in the rules, not the one ruthlessly enforcing them personally.

And the more rigid the rules, the deeper the love of the bureaucrats for them.
              HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

I don't think there is much difference between Pagan and Christian morals. It boils down to, in both cases, be a nice person, be understanding and don't hurt others.

As for where it comes from, I think it is safe to say that it is society's morals.

Comment

I do what makes me happy, my loved ones happy, and my gods happy. I don't do something that will offend any of those.

I live the values of the deities I worship. But when it comes down to it, the point of morality is: I try to be a pleasant person so that other people will like me, thus allowing me to stay in the community that I need to survive.

Comment

Working...
                  X