Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Domestic Magic! (brainstorming thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modern Domestic Magic! (brainstorming thread)

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    If you don't feel comfortable with FRigg, try some sort of epithet instead. Our Lady of the Mucky Floor could be a good one. Or Lady of the Mess. Sometimes this allows you to hook onto the archetype while still distancing yourself from a particular deity if you don't yet feel comfortable with him/her.

Worth a try. But in my experience the gods and goddesses tend to take us as they find us. They're MUCH more forgiving than parents.
    A few apartments ago, when Sophie was little and Collin wasn't even a twinkle in the eye (or maybe he *was* a twinkle in the eye), my roomie and I did that... Since she was Catholic, it was "Our Lady of Perpetual Cleanliness"...an unknown until recently aspect of Mary
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      A few apartments ago, when Sophie was little and Collin wasn't even a twinkle in the eye (or maybe he *was* a twinkle in the eye), my roomie and I did that... Since she was Catholic, it was "Our Lady of Perpetual Cleanliness"...an unknown until recently aspect of Mary
      That's lovely!
      When I was still able to drive, (I was rubbish at parking) I often appealed to 'Our lady of the Parking Space Who Never Lets me Down' for help. Worked a treat!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Those are excellent Ideas! I'm alot like DR. I'll go on a mad manic cleaning spree and everything will be hunky dory for a while but then something will upset me and I'll fall back into my funk. Right now, I'm in that funk LOL.

I'm not beyond calling deity help tho, it does really work (at least for me). But I might give that "our lady" thing a try!!

Comment

Thought I'd post a quick update on how this is working out for me(maybe get this thread rolling again!)

I had the best results with the suggestion of a general epithet. It's not perfect, but it's also helped for me to get myself back on a schedule so that I feel like I don't have to do everything every day...there's less running and hiding from the problem at hand that way. I've also found that there are some things, like keeping the area around my little kitchen shrine clean, and keeping the kitchen floor swept and spotless, that seem to contribute to everything else staying cleaner. Not really sure how that works, but it does...
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
            I need to pick your brains, ladies, and I think this thread might be the best place to do it.

I think due as much to the very emotional things that have been going on for me as anything, I'm having issues with my housekeeping being a roller-coaster. I'll have a week where I'm fine, and everything is clean and pleasant, and then I'll be dealing with depression and anxiety, and it goes to pot in 24 hours, staying that way for days while I dig myself out. I'm trying to find a way to encourage consistency. No more see-saw up and down with pushing hard, then burning out when I'm sad....just slow, steady, consistent, and clean.

L even asked me why I hadn't tried invoking a house and home goddess, like Frigg. Truth is, though, that I feel like I'd be judged harshly by that sort of being/energy...especially if the house was a mess at the time. Worse then having my mother pay a visit.
            I hope I'm not too late in replying to this. I don't know why I didn't see it sooner...

Anyway, I think invoking anything like that is a bad idea. Not only because in terms of folklore brownies usually want something in return like children (though allegedly you can trick them) but given if that's your regular mental state you may end up evoking something in general you may not want.

Wherever I live I tend to place stones around certain areas specially charged for creating the energies for certain tasks, like providing calm or whatnot. Azazel can vouch for how I placed crystals in the kitchen charged to make sure I never horribly ruined cooking and lithium quartz at all four corners of the apartment to invoke peaceful and loving energies (though as the maintenance guys stole them that kinda chipped away at things). So maybe you want to charge some stones (these can even be gravel stones you just paint or something) for giving you the energy to clean up or to provide energies for keeping a peaceful environment and the ilk.
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

Thanks Caelia...I think I have things worked out more or less, but I'll keep that in mind
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
              X