Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have men and women reached equality?

Well, since men and women are different, I'm not sure how to measure "equality."

The "equality" of two different things ends up being largely a matter of taste...

Do women have all the same opportunities as do men? No.

Do men have all the same opportunities that women do? No.

Do they balance out? I dunno. I guess it depends on whether the woman is good (or bad) at using her unique opportunities, and wheher the man is as well.

But I can tell you that, in terms of social equality (being treated as equals by other members of society), women will never be the equal of men, as long as they feel they have to ask for equality. Two equals never ask each other to be treated as equals - equality is assumed from both sides, and when it's not given, corrective steps are taken by the offended party. Only someone who feels that he/she is subordinate asks to be treated equally.

"Please sir, will you treat me as an equal?" - Nope... it doesn't work...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I found an interesting article about this as well:

On another note, having discussed this with a lot of friends, and seeing the responses here, it seems a lot more men feel that women have reached a higher status than women feel they actually have.

Comment

an interesting set of blog posts on the subject of "the myth of male weakness" by hugo schwyzer
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I just read the first one so far (most recent) but I really agree with him. I remember getting in a HUGE argument with a friend when I was about 19-20 about that too. I said that if I could do something myself, I'd just do it. And she said that men need to feel useful. And I was like "because they're otherwise so useless?"

Comment

Working...
          X