Osama Bin Laden Dead 5/01/2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Osama Bin Laden Dead 5/01/2011

There is going to be a street party in Glasgow on Friday celebrating his death x
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
        ‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." - Martin Luther King, Jr
        That's pretty much how I feel.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Hm, I think this quote I've been seeing around better sums up my feelings on the matter...

"I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." – Mark Twain
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

People are celebrating. That's, to me, speaks volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
              People are celebrating. That's, to me, speaks volumes.
              Let them have their day. They are still realizing it can't bring back the dead he's personally been responsible for killing. They've been mourning for 10 years. One day. Let 'em have it.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Let them have their day. They are still realizing it can't bring back the dead he's personally been responsible for killing. They've been mourning for 10 years. One day. Let 'em have it.
                I agree. I know some are celebrating, I know some are still sad or mad because their loved ones are still dead, or their husbands or wives still away fighting, and many are having mixed emotions... However someone takes the news, if they want to celebrate, cry, or not care at all - I say, let them.
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I never said they couldn't celebrate. I agree: Let them.

I just didn't expect so many people that valued life to be so happy, is all.

Comment

There's a big difference between valuing life, and valuing Life (with a capital "L").

In the first case, it's the living thing itself which is valued - the entitiy.

In the second case, it's life itself (the quality of being alive) which is valued.

In the first case, because it deals with actual things (individual entities) it is possible to value all living things, but to place some of those things at a higher value than others.

In the second case, the "value" is absolute because the quality of being alive exists equally in all living things, and a thing which is equally present in all living things is equal in all things in which it is present.

I have no problem valueing life in the first sense, and of determining the relative value of the life of bin Laden in comparison of those who he has harmed, or who he would have harmed in the future. And in this sense, I can be glad he's dead.

I don't value him in the second sense, though. The fact that he once breathed doesn't make him special in my book.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

the difference is its celebrating the death of a mass-murderer. Its much different than it just being you kill me i kill you back. Its a victory over evil. People just need to realize it doesn't win the war. We cut the head off a hydra...
                      "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                        Hm, I think this quote I've been seeing around better sums up my feelings on the matter...

"I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." – Mark Twain
                        I like this ^

I can feel no remorse for such a "Person" as Bin Laden. That would be like feeling sorry for Hitler or Stalin or any other mass murder. This will not bring the much bantered about "Closer" that the press likes to talk about for his many victims and their family's around the world. But what it will mean to them is some form of justice was served in an appropriate (a few seconds of fear and confusion,then death) manner. He had flatly stated many times that it did not matter who he and his henchman killed or maimed as long as it served his purposes. I say let the people rejoice in their heart, in their homes, and in their streets.
                        It is so sad that anyone who profess to be so very religious can so twist and distort that (ANY) religion in such a perverse manner. I have no hatred for any religion or it's followers, but I can feel hatred for those who willingly corrupt that religion and it's beliefs for their own demented view of our world.

Let the lighting bolts commence.
                        Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

I know this may not be a popular viewpoint.... but I wish they had put him on trial instead of just shooting him.

If you look at old footage of the Nuremburg trials after WW2 it was great to see these once haughty men on the receiving end of the justice they had denied to so many others.
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                            I know this may not be a popular viewpoint.... but I wish they had put him on trial instead of just shooting him.

If you look at old footage of the Nuremburg trials after WW2 it was great to see these once haughty men on the receiving end of the justice they had denied to so many others.
                            I know what you're saying, but, actually, "killed while trying to escape" is really the best option here. After WWII the Nazi party was pretty much a dead party (for the time being). The Nazis weren't really terrorists although they did use terror as a weapon (like the bombing runs on England). They were fighting largely according to the European standards of war. What these two things mean is that those men who were on trial in Nuremburg were like the severed tentacles of a dead octopus - there was no head left, and the other severed tentacles couldn't do much on their own.

However, Osama has left a live octopus behind him, one that doesn't fight according to European conventions. People have already mentioned that we can expect reprisals, but if bin Laden was in captivity alive, those reprisals would be much worse, because the octopus would be trying to get it's tentacle back.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

kind of funny...
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post

I do agree, but from the news I've read he really wasn't going to go. Hitler also chose to die over a trial (just at his own hand rather than resisting an arrest).

Comment

Working...
                                X