This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parenting Debate: To Snip or no?

I just don't understand why it's a big deal, or why it's a thing, at all. Well, no, that's not true - I know why some parents choose to do it, and I know it's mandatory for jews, but...

foreskin is natural. Why remove it? Just like body hair.

Mostly art.

Comment

Exactly, Clive. While the one guy I dated who wasn't circumcised wasn't the cleanest in his sexual habits (didn't like to wear condoms, but I made him with me) he was the cleanest in other genital hygiene.
      my etsy store
      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
      surrounded by plush, downy things,
      ill prepared, but willing,
      to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
        I just don't understand why it's a big deal, or why it's a thing, at all. Well, no, that's not true - I know why some parents choose to do it, and I know it's mandatory for jews, but...

Unfortunately, because circumcision has been common for so long in North America some people feel that that natural part is "icky." It's silly conditioning at play. If it hadn't become the norm for gentiles, thanks to outdated ideas about sex, nobody would care.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post

I'd like to point out that foreskins aren't functionless.
          Agreed, but neither are tonsils...that's why I picked the comparison. They're not totally necessary, but they can be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            Agreed, but neither are tonsils...that's why I picked the comparison. They're not totally necessary, but they can be helpful.
            Oh, I know. I was just pointing it out for the sake of the discussion.
            Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
            -Erik Erikson

Comment

I'm guessing you are hairy every single part of your body?
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                I'm guessing you are hairy every single part of your body?
                Except for the armpits. But that's only because I've never been able to get past the two-month itchy stage. The rest was either easy to grow out, or I've never cut/shaved/plucked there. I haven't shaved my legs in 7 years. I still wear shorts and skirts and stuff.

Mostly art.

Comment

Except for the armpits. But that's only because I've never been able to get past the two-month itchy stage. The rest was either easy to grow out, or I've never cut/shaved/plucked there. I haven't shaved my legs in 7 years. I still wear shorts and skirts and stuff.
                  I make you an honorary Mexican! Mexican women usually don't shave either. I've gone months not shaving my legs. But I don't get too much anymore. Like some on the shins, but the rest of my leg is pretty bare.

Comment

I don't think shaving or even waxing is the same as circumcision. Most people don't resort to surgery to remove hair.

Comment

I'm going to repeat myself again...

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      I don't think there is enough evidence to sit around screaming condemnations at people (I am not saying that *you* are doing this, personally) that have chosen (for whatever reasons) to circumcise their children about the (supposed) abuse that they are dealing to their male children. When it is done properly (and it overwhelmingly is done properly), its just not a big deal...and there are (scientifically supported) public and personal health reasons why someone might choose for their child to be circumcised. And for some families, there are other compelling (whether one agrees with them or not) reasons that they have decided to do so.

If you don't want your child circumcised, don't do it. If you do, do. Its a bit like the abortion debate...
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

I've never been with an uncircumcised man. I agree with thalassa - it's a choice.

I don't shave my legs in the winter months unless I have a bf, which means most winters I save a lot on razor blades LOL
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

When you shave or wax, you usually can choose to grow the hair back if you want. Not too many people choose stuff like laser hair removal, and even when they do, it's a choice they make for themselves. I don't know of anyone who decides "I'm going to give my daughter laser hair removal as a baby".

Comment

When you shave or wax, you usually can choose to grow the hair back if you want. Not too many people choose stuff like laser hair removal, and even when they do, it's a choice they make for themselves. I don't know of anyone who decides "I'm going to give my daughter laser hair removal as a baby".
                            I guess. I was just trying to compare foreskin to something which is natural, and I don't understand what the big deal is about it.

Mostly art.

Comment

I guess. I was just trying to compare foreskin to something which is natural, and I don't understand what the big deal is about it.
                              I know what you mean...I'm mostly just approaching it for the sake of discussion. I feel like I'm not really the right person to comment from a personal standpoint, because I've spent almost all of my adult life in a culture that doesn't do it and thinks it's a bad idea (enough so to ban it), and that's really influenced my opinion on it.

Comment

I know what you mean...I'm mostly just approaching it for the sake of discussion. I feel like I'm not really the right person to comment from a personal standpoint, because I've spent almost all of my adult life in a culture that doesn't do it and thinks it's a bad idea (enough so to ban it), and that's really influenced my opinion on it.
                                That's the crux of it. In this culture it's not a big deal to do it. So we either do it or don't. Right and wrong rarely care about the truth or facts. They care about who the people are and how they feel. It's more about acceptable or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X