star Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: star Children

To be fair, I've met some very bright people who went through an accelerated study program without overly screwing themselves over socially or psychologically (far as I know, my reaction to school was different) and graduated with a decent supply of college credit. Gifted programs can work out all right. That said, the program I'm thinking of started later than some of what's been mentioned and while all involved were very bright, I know at least two people who were ahead of their age in that system. One was just starting college math in tenth grade and completed the program far as I know (he outlasted me lets put it that way) and the other started part of the program a year earlier than normal and was added fully later. The second may have dropped out, she was a year behind me and I didn't pay much attention to underclassmen if they were remotely possible to avoid.

Returning from memory lane, if a child has extraordinary gifts then someone will notice them as the kid grows. When the gift can be clearly ID'd then steps can be taken to encourage it. Let matters move at their own pace though. Don't build up or buy into a mythology about your kid before they have a chance to really start making choices. You'll know your kid's gifts soon enough, there's no need to tie yourself to a mythos when the truth will be evident in a few years.
    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm not slamming gifted programs...I did like going to mine when we still had it and overall, I didn't do -too- badly in life other than having stupidly high expectations of myself and being really hard on myself all the time. I just mean that the labels and expectations can be a drag, and also that it's not always those skills (whether you're intellectually or spiritually gifted) that get you ahead....two of the most successful people I know are not only crazy young and in pretty good positions, but also didn't even go to university (and in Europe, that means a LOT more than in the US....they're crazy about credentials here normally!) Neither are necessarily very intellectual. They're just wonderful networkers and great with people.

I do think it's important to encourage talents as they show up though, whether that talent be math, writing, music, divination, building things, etc. The key is to just not build it up tooooo much.
      Last edited by DanieMarie; 07 Jul 2011, 22:33.

Comment

My personal approach to parenting was to encourage my children to be good human beings, not superstars. Yes, I encourage them in whatever they were interested in (within reason, and even went a bit out of hand sometimes). I also encourage them to do whatever they did, they should strive to give it their best shot.

These are my two main rules of parenting:
        1. Whatever you do is likely to be wrong.
        2. Get over it.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          My personal approach to parenting was to encourage my children to be good human beings, not superstars. Yes, I encourage them in whatever they were interested in (within reason, and even went a bit out of hand sometimes). I also encourage them to do whatever they did, they should strive to give it their best shot.

These are my two main rules of parenting:
          1. Whatever you do is likely to be wrong.
          2. Get over it.
          special and gifted (regarding children, young adults or even grown ups) for the Special Olympics and other short bus activities. Like drool cups and window-licking.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
            I just subscribe to the Special Dark Snowflake™ theory, based on individuals' incessant need to claim uniqueness and originality like it's something new. It's the same old angst, same sad story, that has existed for millennia. "I am Unique - just like absolutely EVERYONE else." Gifted, "special" children fall under that same category. The only difference is that it's a parent applying it to their offspring, instead of to themselves.
            But (as was mentioned before), the parents ARE applying it to themselves via proxy. "Look how special *I* am, I'm the parent of a psychically superior child".
            Re: Living History Blog
            Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

Originally posted by Gobae View Post
              But (as was mentioned before), the parents ARE applying it to themselves via proxy. "Look how special *I* am, I'm the parent of a psychically superior child".

Yeah, that's quite true. I just didn't want to get too specific, as it would seem I'm singling out the OP as an example. In all actuality, it's that just my personal view of *Star Children* isn't really along the lines of what was intended here. Much like menstruation wasn't intended.

I get into the same sort of trouble with that Proctor and Gamble (or was it Parker Brothers?) game Ouija. It is nothing at all what people claim it is, IMO. And my opinion is not, typically, a popular one.

Have I mentioned that I'm a cynic, lately? I should wear a sign.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                I get into the same sort of trouble with that Proctor and Gamble (or was it Parker Brothers?) game Ouija. It is nothing at all what people claim it is, IMO. And my opinion is not, typically, a popular one.
                Hasbro, now. Parker Brothers is one of their various properties. The fact that is owned by Hasbro lends weight to all the various urban legends about the board being a gateway to unleash supernatural evil upon the world.

HASBRO IS EVIL!!!!!!!

Erhmm, right, I'll be good and remember that Hasbro properties produce a number of very entertaining games. Just because I loathe the terms of business they keep to try and buy things from them on behalf of a store does not make them agents of hell on earth. Unless of course they make good games to throw off suspicion because we are after all talking about Hasbro and not lesser hellspawn.
                Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Pfft...come on you two...everyone KNOWS Hasbro has a voodoo doctor blessing each and every one of those things as they come off the conveyer belt. Just like Hebrew National hot dogs are checked out by a Rabbi, right?
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Bull, Hasbro is a fragging hellgate. It doesn't need mortal witch doctors. The boards are produced and shipped straight out of hell with demons waiting in them. Mortal spellcasters are for lesser corporations. This is Hasbro, they don't do half measures.

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                      Pfft...come on you two...everyone KNOWS Hasbro has a voodoo doctor blessing each and every one of those things as they come off the conveyer belt. Just like Hebrew National hot dogs are checked out by a Rabbi, right?
                      :::is applying to be an Official Hasbro Voodoo Ouija-Board Blesser:::
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Bah! I tell you Hasbro doesn't use mortals.

Now if you don't mind enchanting Tarot decks instead, US Games Systems might be hiring...

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          Bah! I tell you Hasbro doesn't use mortals.

Now if you don't mind enchanting Tarot decks instead, US Games Systems might be hiring...

Sorry, that got outsourced to star children.
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                          surrounded by plush, downy things,
                          ill prepared, but willing,
                          to descend."

Comment

I see posts got removed. Yet somehow board games is acceptable. Who flipped the f out and what happened?
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              I see posts got removed. Yet somehow board games is acceptable. Who flipped the f out and what happened?

Don't know. But after 9 pages? I'd say if lolcats haven't made their presence known, by now, they ain't gonna. Star children, toddler idolizing, projection, periods, PMS, Ouija and Tarot? I'd say it's about covered. NOW, we can mock.

Comment

So my evil Hasbro conspiracies can continue in safety for a little while?:devil:

Comment

Working...
                                X