This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies/Shows you liked better than the book

A Game of Thrones. After the first season ended I wanted to read the book, but I just could not get into it at all. (I might have to give it another try in a few months though, since I also had a hard time getting into the Dune books, but then really enjoyed them all by the end...)

I agree with Harry Potter as well. I just never enjoyed the books much (never tried the later ones), but the moves are okay.

Lord of the Rings... Well, I do love the books, but I think I'd rather watch the movies.
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I'm kind of liking the Game of Thrones books, but I can see what you mean...it's an amazing show. I think it really works both ways. You need some space after you read or watch something really good before you switch to the other medium. I've read books and watched the movie right after and just couldn't get into the movie, even when it was really good (the movie of the Lovely Bones, for example....watching it the day after finishing the book was just a mistake).

I think though that the big thing about A Game of Thrones is that it doesn't really add much that wasn't covered in the show. You learn a bit more about the feelings of the characters but other than that the show follows the book really closely plot-wise and since it's 1 season per book, there's not much they don't cover (though, I'm only 1/3 of the way through the book).

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        I think it really works both ways. You need some space after you read or watch something really good before you switch to the other medium.
        I usually like to read a book then see the movie (or the other way) close to each other, actually. I like being able to see what was different or the same, or pick up on things I missed, see what I imagine differently, etc. If I wait too long then I forget most of that sort of thing.

I knew they would be similar (fiance read the books before watching), I dunno if that's really the issue, I think it's just something with the writing style. Dunno, gonna give it a few months and see.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Fair enough!

Yeah I am totally opposite with books and movies. I have too much of a vivid imagination and while I like to see how it's interpreted by someone else, if it's just after I read it my own visualizations are too stuck there still. I also have a great memory so if I give it time I'll still remember what went on, and it wont bother me as much if things I found important were changed.

Comment

Last Temptation of Christ. Only because the book was sorta long winded. I know. I'm probably the only person to read that book. It rocked. The movie just rocked more because of the awesomeness of Peter Gabriel's soundtrack!
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Actually, I have found that I never like a movie better than a book. I am a details person and I get upset when a movie leaves out important parts, in my opinion, of a book that I think others need to know. But this is just me.

Comment

Depends though...usually I am too, but the True Blood show actually has WAY more detail and depth than the Sookie Stackhouse novels (which are one-dimensional and shallow.

Comment

I love the Harry Potter series,and have all the movies. Some people were upset at the last few movies being too "Dark",but that is really where the books were heading in the last few books.

Not sure if "Boardwalk empire" was ever a book,but I am hooked on watching it. I am also a big fan of "True blood". Never read the books,but love the Show.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The books really are terrible. I don't recommend them if you really love the show, and really love books for that matter.

Sorry for all the ranting about them. I just really don't know how something so poorly written got published. I guess the story angle is interesting, but that's where it ends. The show took the positive aspects of it (the angle), filled out the plot, developed the characters and added dimension to it.

A lot of people loved the show Game of Thrones better than the book and after True Blood, I was skeptical about reading another book that had been developed into an HBO series, but after reading the whole Song of Ice and Fire series I really liked the books a lot better.

Comment

It seems "Boardwalk Empire" is from a book.

By Nelson Johnson Foreword by Terence Winter Through most of the 20th century, Atlantic City was controlled by a powerful partnership of local politicians and racketeers. Funded by payoffs from gam…

Haven't read it or even heard of it before the show began.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

i like to watch 3 idot ever.

Comment

The complete Bourne series,I read all the books,and the movies are great..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                          X